The Disappointment Gap

Andrew3000

Between the ideal images we create (based on our hopes and expectations) and reality lies the disappointment gap.  

How we manage the emotions this creates is crucial, as often this gives rise to understandable anger, fear and sadness.

This summer Mel masterfully stimulated our dreams and set some specific expectations, namely:

1. Shexshy attacking football.

2. Connection with the fans.

3. Bringing in quality loans.

4. Bringing in our exciting youth.

So it's easy to see how we have so far been let down particularly on the first 3 . So we will be fearful angry and sad (think we miss this one out sometimes) but try not to hurt ourselves or others in the process.

It might help to focus on the fact that no one intended this to happen, the club will be working hard to put it right and that football is perhaps best enjoyed as one epic story, the unpredictable and strange journey of our wonderful Derby County.

Anyway, enough psychobabble. Peace out COYR.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been expecting this season for a while and really thought it would be last year.

Two exceptional loans made the difference last season and it really was a false position with us catching the playoffs more due to other teams ineptitude and some ridiculous goals. 

The ageing squad had reached the end of the line and what we are seeing now is that it’s paper thin and lacking in quality (or at least consistent quality), especially in the wide positions.

its important that we get the likes of Knight, Sibley and Buchanan 10+ starts this season to put them in the mix next year and to shape future recruitment. Getting promoted this season would deny them first team opportunities as the step up would be far too soon.

some fans need to realise that we have been spoilt with how often we have flirted with promotion in recent years, but we need to focus and building something sustainable which may take a season or two.

7 minutes ago, JABBA said:

some fans need to realise that we have been spoilt with how often we have flirted with promotion in recent years, but we need to focus and building something sustainable which may take a season or two.

This.

But, this means there will be times that really suck like this week has. No one likes it when the team gets beaten, but being soundly beaten by forest the brentford is a bitter pill. I don't blame any one for being rather peed off.

I'm pretty sure the reason we have a 4 year contract with Cocu was precisely because it was going to take time and a slow start trashed him in Turkey.

Either way, as Mel has said many times, trying to sustain a competitive side vs parachute sides is very tough to do and some point not being promoted when things looked good was going lead to a bit of a fall back.

This week sucked, they'll probably be more weeks that suck.

We'll survive. We'll prosper.

21 minutes ago, JABBA said:

But they don't do they that's the flaw in your argument - some fans will see what they want to see and reference their own internal expectations against what is playing out in real life. Some of these fans are also season ticket holders some of these fans may have supported the team for 40 odd years some of these fans may post on this forum 

So to think that suddenly some fans will change their ways of thinking is maybe very naive and probably not going to happen so you have to expect that these fans will be very unhappy about what is happening at the club currently 

As a disclaimer I would like to say that I am not part of these fans before I get castigated on here 

Painful week and certainly expected better against Brentford. However we have the international break to pick up the pieces and put ourselves back together. Just hope Cocu  is on a fast learning curve and we start to see improvements  .Looking as though a few new comers are going to be required and further departures before any significant improvement unless Coco changes his style and philosophy of how we are to play. Not Sure Rooney is going to make a big impact at this rate iether.

It can and should only get better,but let's give the guy a chance ,certainly a few transfer windows for him to develop his own squad of players before drawing our conclusions. It can't be easy for the squad trying to conform and adapt to new  management or for Cocu to instill  his style on a disjointed squad. In hindsight not sure Bradley going was such a good idea, or Carson although I appreciate this may have freed up wages. Not purposefully getting at Lawrence But inconsistencies are his strength and he needs to be better ,Clark and Belieck look promising given time but losing the loanees has reduced the quality of the squad to bang average.

8 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Maybe a wee measure of LSD given away and embibed upon entering the ground would help to reduce the disappointment gap !

From what I’ve read every time you go to the toilet in a football ground you passively get a hit?

14 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Maybe a wee measure of LSD given away and embibed upon entering the ground would help to reduce the disappointment gap !

Now here's someone at the cutting edge of mental health treatment! Let's put together a research proposal and have a dark fruits comparison group.

The dusappointment gap is the difference between last seasons table and this seasons table

last season 4th after 6 games with 12 points

this season 19th after 6 games with 6 points

we've got the same points as rotherham had this time last year.

On 03/09/2019 at 09:45, RamNut said:

The dusappointment gap is the difference between last seasons table and this seasons table

last season 4th after 6 games with 12 points

this season 19th after 6 games with 6 points

we've got the same points as rotherham had this time last year.

The disappointment gap is the difference in players between last season and this season

What do you expect, when first of all we've had a seriously difficult opening run of games against top quality sides, without the quality of Mason Mount, Fikayo Tomori, Harry Wilson.

We was very very lucky to get them three on loan, we would probably be in the same position as we are now if we didn't have them in.

Like you say its a big difference, but at the end of the day, we haven't even got a complete squad. We need to and i'm sure we will make big differences in Jan, I hope so anyway. (I mean, we're already getting ROOOONEY)

Until then we should just sit back and let what happens happen.

38 minutes ago, Squid said:

The disappointment gap is the difference in players between last season and this season

What do you expect, when first of all we've had a seriously difficult opening run of games against top quality sides, without the quality of Mason Mount, Fikayo Tomori, Harry Wilson.

We was very very lucky to get them three on loan, we would probably be in the same position as we are now if we didn't have them in.

Like you say its a big difference, but at the end of the day, we haven't even got a complete squad. We need to and i'm sure we will make big differences in Jan, I hope so anyway. (I mean, we're already getting ROOOONEY)

Until then we should just sit back and let what happens happen.

Looks to me like we may have seriously overestimated our pull as a club for top quality loans...…….Frank Lampard got the loans rather than DCFC sadly is the only conclusion I can reach. ?

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Looks to me like we may have seriously overestimated our pull as a club for top quality loans...…….Frank Lampard got the loans rather than DCFC sadly is the only conclusion I can reach. ?

Agreed mate... If we had them same loans but with a more experienced manager we would have been top 3.

I mean, with Wayne coming in in Jan, maybe a loan move for Mason Greenwood?

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Knowing our scouts we'd end up with Chris Smalling to shore up the defence......?

Thing is I think from Mel's perspective he's made this move to increase the mid-term reach of our club. We had FL which brought a big audience to the club. Now he's gone he's gone for WR, and once WR goes there will probably be someone else with a big name who's coming towards the end of their career. It's clever, but progressive. 

Like Mel said a while back growing the club, and the "brand"is important, from a financial perspective, and from a fans perspective. I think it will only be a year or two until we find investors. We should of been looking to persuade Michael Dell and co from investing in Sunderland to looking at us. These big names we're bringing in are going to do us a lot of favors regarding investment, my only concern is that folk will be put off by the fact we don't own our stadium anymore.

But, Chris Smalling in the championship would be okay, i guess!?

Archived