Sign in to follow this  
Bwash_Ram

Cardiff City (H) Match Thread

Was meant to be on call tonight so lucky to not just go , but have a few beers, so by the time I got back almost everthing has already  been said .

Can’t really elaborate on what’s been said already but still, pleased for Malone to get the goal after the grief he’s had off some ‘fans’, thought his Derby days were over. How great it is to have Duane back in the side !!!!

First half looked promising, second not so much, sounds a bit spurious,I know but I won’t blame any one player for this, even Waggy who had 2 great chances ( one he made himself). We should have won , we didn’t but with Bogle on the right Lowe on the left we will be s different opponent. Laurence seems to have been slated again tonight when had a better first than second half but for a few poor choices doesn’t deserve to shoulder the blame every time we don’t win!!

will be tough to take where I think we will finish this season, but I do think the word transitional is first time it’s relevant.

18 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I don't care how he played for Portsmouth, for us, he's been a mistake waiting to happen on the ball for a few games now. I don't care what whoscored gave him. I watched the game. He made me feel nervous and uncomfortable with how he played the ball, his passing was all over the place, he didn't come for the ball, he got caught out of position. Not at all impressed.

Bring back Curtis Davies.

Just now, Carnero said:

Bring back Curtis Davies.

Not sure he's the answer, to be honest. The games he has played, he hasn't been any better than Clarke. I'd like to see us loan someone in January for the LCB position.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The issue is, Clarke had a bad game, and who do we put in there to replace him if we wanted to? We don't have a good enough backup. Curtis is even worse than Clarke on the ball. I still think we need to sign a LCB, because I don't think Curtis can be relied on to play out from the back, and I'm not convinced Clarke is good enough. He had one good game against Huddersfield. He cost us both goals at Stoke. He had a shocker at Forest. For me, he had a shocker tonight. 

He gave the ball away a couple of times in dangerous positions tonight but I don’t think he had a shocker. Possibly just looks nervous, he’s probably never really had a period in his career before where he’s been dropped and it may take him a while to get his mojo back. Definitely worth persisting with. Left sided CB’s at this level are about as rare as rocking horse turd.

Just now, nottingram said:

He gave the ball away a couple of times in dangerous positions tonight but I don’t think he had a shocker. Possibly just looks nervous, he’s probably never really had a period in his career before where he’s been dropped and it may take him a while to get his mojo back. Definitely worth persisting with. Left sided CB’s at this level are about as rare as rocking horse turd.

But nervous isn't what you want from your centre half. If he passes like he did tonight against Leeds who press really high, they'll score a hatful. Genuinely worried about how he is going to handle Bielsa's style of play, if he can't deal with Warnock's no press without making passing errors.

10 minutes ago, Roboram said:

That’s because we ARE a mid table championship team 

For now, perhaps yes.  We needed to tighten our girders, since we're still stuck in the Championship.  This will turn good in the long run, becoming financially sustainable while utilizing the promising academy talents produced.  Just need to hang in there and not panic, while readjustment is in process.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Not sure he's the answer, to be honest. The games he has played, he hasn't been any better than Clarke. I'd like to see us loan someone in January for the LCB position.

If we ignore the passing, for which Clarke has been poor post-Huddersfield, Davies is a far better out-and-out defender.

Or, we go full on transition, and give Buchanan a run alongside Keogh.

Just now, Carnero said:

If we ignore the passing, for which Clarke has been poor post-Huddersfield, Davies is a far better out-and-out defender.

Or, we go full on transition, and give Buchanan a run alongside Keogh.

That's fair. I agree Curtis is a much better all round defender. But I don't think that's a good solution long term. I think we could really do with getting someone in that position in January who is comfortable on the ball. Ben White at Leeds is a great example. They got the better centre half from Brighton.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

120 games for Portsmouth, at a level lower than the one we're currently playing. How much stock can you take in performances in divisions below? How good did Ince look at Championship level? And how often did it translate to Premier League success? See: Gayle, Vydra etc. He had a good game against Huddersfield. I was impressed. He hasn't looked good since. Stats often paint a different picture to the game that can be observed. Defenders usually have the highest pass accuracy, because they play safe passes. He's lucky he didn't gift Cardiff a goal tonight, he made a mistake for 2 of Stoke's, had a shocker at Forest too. 

You're only mentioning the step up from Champ to Pl when mentioning players. Why not go for more like for like comparisons, league 1 to Champ? The whole of the Sheff U team, the whole of the Charlton team so far, Gayle, Marriott, Holmes, Ben white (CB at Leeds who looks Unbelievable, who wasn't as good as Clarke in L1 last season) and many many more who made the step up? Once again, whoscored, by average rating, rate Clarke as the 5th best cb in the league so far this season. Stats can paint a different picture, but they are usually very good indicators. 

Once again, saying we need to replace him in jan after 5 games is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

But nervous isn't what you want from your centre half. If he passes like he did tonight against Leeds who press really high, they'll score a hatful. Genuinely worried about how he is going to handle Bielsa's style of play, if he can't deal with Warnock's no press without making passing errors.

My point is his being in and out of the team has probably not helping him to not look shaky. Huddersfield away he looked great on the ball and a very good defender to boot. He’s struggled, you’re right, but he is four games into his Derby career so writing him off is just a bit daft imo.

Perversely I think he looked most at sea tonight when he had tons of time on the ball. When he’s pressed he looks a bit more comfortable bringing it out.

Leeds obviously very smart pressers though so we’ll see.

5 minutes ago, Whoneedshuls said:

Was that Lawrence’s 5 booking off the season today and presumably he’ll miss the Leeds game ?

Yes, poor discipline to be on 5 yellows already. 

7 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

whoscored, by average rating, rate Clarke as the 5th best cb in the league so far this season.

That says a lot. About whoscored ratings.

9 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

whoscored, by average rating, rate Clarke as the 5th best cb in the league so far this season.

Out of interest, who are the 3, alongside Keogh, that are above him?

6 minutes ago, LB_DCFC said:

You're only mentioning the step up from Champ to Pl when mentioning players. Why not go for more like for like comparisons, league 1 to Champ? The whole of the Sheff U team, the whole of the Charlton team so far, Gayle, Marriott, Holmes, Ben white (CB at Leeds who looks Unbelievable, who wasn't as good as Clarke in L1 last season) and many many more who made the step up? Once again, whoscored, by average rating, rate Clarke as the 5th best cb in the league so far this season. Stats can paint a different picture, but they are usually very good indicators. 

Once again, saying we need to replace him in jan after 5 games is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

I don't think it is ridiculous to say we need more cover in that position. Curtis isn't a good passer, and what if Clarke gets injured, or Keogh for that matter? Many have made the step up. But also, many haven't been able to. That was kind of my point. Being good at the level below doesn't mean it'll translate, it might, but there is also a chance that it won't. So I don't think you can point to Clarke's pompey career and say that'll make him a success here. I wish we had Ben White. Looks a hell of a lot better than Clarke. 

I personally think it's better to judge players from watching them and drawing opinions on that, I don't care at all what Clarke's whoscored stats say, I'll reiterate that again, I think it's far better to judge from what you see rather than going off the stats that give them a 97% pass accuracy but they only play the ball back to the goal keeper. Hyperbole, but it's to make my point. 

9 minutes ago, nottingram said:

My point is his being in and out of the team has probably not helping him to not look shaky. Huddersfield away he looked great on the ball and a very good defender to boot. He’s struggled, you’re right, but he is four games into his Derby career so writing him off is just a bit daft imo.

Perversely I think he looked most at sea tonight when he had tons of time on the ball. When he’s pressed he looks a bit more comfortable bringing it out.

Leeds obviously very smart pressers though so we’ll see.

But he's been in and out of the team because he hasn't been very good. I'm not writing him off. I'm just saying we should be looking at that position in January. We can't do anything for 4 months anyway, so Clarke has plenty of games between now and then to improve his form. He just doesn't fill me with any kind of confidence, and he seems to be getting worse rather than better. With Tomori it was different, every game you could see him improving.

5 minutes ago, Carnero said:

That says a lot. About whoscored ratings.

I think it's slightly undeserved but considering there's a minimum 48 starting Cb's in the division, and the general accuray of those rankings (top 2 cbs last year were Webster and Cooper, one cost £20m and is in the Pl and one was captain for one of, if not the best team in the league last season)  it possibly suggests that he's worth not binning off yet

Edited by LB_DCFC

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Really? I didn’t see that at all. 

There wasn’t some good some bad 

final third at times Waggy looked very lively and Holmes made a huge difference to drive and mobility of the midfield 

but u can’t ignore the clear lack of communication that seems to be manifesting itself into our play 

how many times were balls left for the other, uncontested cos one thought the other was going for it 

that needs addressing 

were still mistake ridden too and appear at our most vulnerable when we actually have control of the ball... Keogh and Malone playing two truly shocking and near suicide passes 

bogle back will be huge he’s a good player but more importantly I don’t think it can be underestimated how much width we’ve lost in his absence 

onwards and upwards