The Derby way

MackworthRamIsGod

1 hour ago, Remy the hare said:

He’s already said he’s having a ‘family’ holiday after the MLS season finishes so god knows what that means in Rooney world. So he will turn up after Christmas, unfit and so won’t make an appearance until early February I expect.

Wages wise increased outside funding has to be relevant under FFP, somebody or thing can’t just inject millions of £ (bankroll) into a club like people are suggesting. It will have to appear somewhere in the books.

Commuting 3 hours a day isn’t a problem, many folk do, but there not millionaire footballers.  

I’m not doom and gloom regarding the future under Phil, I’m 100% behind him. I just don’t see a link between the club and Rooney or Cocu and Rooney, it baffles me. I’m pretty sure Cocu had no say in his coming.

I know I sit in a small majority that think Rooney’s arrival will not solve all our problems, because I think he really will not, if anything he will do the complete opposite.

I think Rooney will challenge the players on their ambition. 

He was able to turn around a DC United team and will make a positive contribution to us. 

However, he will need players around him who are prepared to work hard and who have footballing intelligence. 

No good having a great passer of the ball if you're surrounded by statues. 

Cocu should have a good idea of who he wants and who he doesn't by January. 

If he doesn't, I am sure there are a few on this forum who could give him a list. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Remy the hare said:

He’s already said he’s having a ‘family’ holiday after the MLS season finishes so god knows what that means in Rooney world. So he will turn up after Christmas, unfit and so won’t make an appearance until early February I expect.

Wages wise increased outside funding has to be relevant under FFP, somebody or thing can’t just inject millions of £ (bankroll) into a club like people are suggesting. It will have to appear somewhere in the books.

Commuting 3 hours a day isn’t a problem, many folk do, but there not millionaire footballers.  

I’m not doom and gloom regarding the future under Phil, I’m 100% behind him. I just don’t see a link between the club and Rooney or Cocu and Rooney, it baffles me. I’m pretty sure Cocu had no say in his coming.

I know I sit in a small majority that think Rooney’s arrival will not solve all our problems, because I think he really will not, if anything he will do the complete opposite.

I'm pretty sure I saw something along the lines of Rooney taking a holiday up til the end of November and then training through December ready for Jan

On 31/08/2019 at 16:52, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Recruit a Dutch manager that plays possession based football, that has won the Dutch league 3 times, reached the semi final of the champions league and we give him Dowell and Jamie bleedin Paterson.

Dont sack Cocu, sack the bloody recruitment team, absolute tripe and has been for years.

Totally agree ...Dowell has so far been a major dissapointment ...if we’re mid table this season I’m not over worried about it...Cocu has good pedigree and we have to trust him ....so many fans saying he’s not up to it but he’s learning the league and about the players too it’s only been 8 weeks!!!

hes played at the top level and had lots of caps for Holland and usually players like that learn fast and adapt and I have no doubt Cocu will too but jan window will be important and LR needs to help him with recruitment ...the fact Macs brother is still here in recruitment/ scouting is a joke get rid of all of our scouts and start afresh ...when was the last foreign / European player we’ve signed and was successful even on loan??? recruitment is a joke!!

On 31/08/2019 at 17:15, Tyler Durden said:

Yes but all that counts for diddly when you're 6th from bottom in the Championship.

Need to start judging Cocu on current performances not past glories 

After a few games yes? Get a grip mate we got stuffed by Leeds 4-1 early in Lampards tenure and only got lucky against Leeds because brought Marriott on because of injury and probably picked the wrong team at Wembley so it wasn’t perfect last season but was given time ...so Lampard wasn’t perfect ...and we had some crap performances ...give him time and judge him after 20 games ...he needs our support 

On 01/09/2019 at 08:20, RoyMac5 said:

He got us promoted - Jimmy Jewell got us relegated! Can't say that the recruitment helped either.

Yes then spat his little dummy out after promotion and helped our demise ...no doubting that !!

2 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

Just now, TommyPowel said:

you are twisting things to suit yourself .Even in what you call Rooney world they do not go on 3 month holidays.

secondly Sponsorship Does count as profit .

There are lots of footballers live in cheshire  they have expensive cars or live in hotels during the week

and you are in the small minority NOT majority

Rooney will certainly not be going on a 3 month holiday, as things stand DC United stand 3rd in the league so will be involved in the play-offs and if they progress to the final will be playing until November 10th. I would imagine he will want 2 - 3 weeks tying ends up in the US and relocating back in the UK. That takes him up to end November/start of December then they will be having a family holiday so that rules out training until late December.

At least his ban for drink driving will have been lifted by this time.Let's hope he has learn't his lesson

The comment about Rooney and hotels gave me a good laugh.

22 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

I’m not twisting anything but stating that sponsorships monies are under separate accounts and don’t count towards FFP is misguided. Under which accounts do sponsorship deals go under then at the clubs?

But regardless of who’s funding Rooney’s wages, I question his desire, reasons and motivation to come to a club where he has zero links historically or with the current staff.  

Will he really bust a gut for us? I doubt it.....

It’s a PR stunt in my opinion. Mel enjoys the media limelight and with Lampard has got use to rubbing shoulders with English football royalty. 

I’m in the small MINORITY I know on this subject.

ROOOOOONY?

I too am concerned about the cohesion of our squad and also the calibre of certain players. I agree with the fact that Lampard did very little that benefitted our squad long term. I really enjoyed last season but looking back it was mainly down to an inspirational, passionate leader and three excellent loans. Players that have been brought in haven't not proved to be an upgrade on players that have left. Vydra, Hughes are two examples and there are others who are now playing at a higher level and doing well. I know some people didn't see how Vydra fitted in but at least he could score goals. I still maintain that having a succession of managers all bringing in their own players has led to an unbalanced squad with players at the moment who have no idea whether they will fit in with the current regime. I feel very sorry for players like Chris Martin who have been out on loan after loan because they don't fit in with the current manager's plans. It must be very demotivating. So yes we need a period of stability so that everybody knows where they stand. Going back to the days when Brian Clough was manager, don't yawn, but fans could name to team before it was announced it was so stable.

36 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Surely Billy has to take some of the blame for the relegation. We had 6 points from 14 games when he departed.

Does the season end after 14 games? We were picking up slightly, I don't think we'd have nose-dived as spectacularly as with Jimmy! Plus I don't think the signings were BDs first or second or even third choice. We couldn't or wouldn't sign halfway decent players. 

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Does the season end after 14 games? We were picking up slightly, I don't think we'd have nose-dived as spectacularly as with Jimmy! Plus I don't think the signings were BDs first or second or even third choice. We couldn't or wouldn't sign halfway decent players. 

I think this is all moot because we were 100% getting relegated regardless of who was in charge (because of, as you highlight, the lack of investment - although it was surely BD's choice to get rid of all the players we lost - we got worse in a lot of positions); but I just want to pull you up on the "picking up slightly".

We took 5 points from August/September and only lost big to top teams
We took 1 point through October/November (failing to score in either month) and lost 5-0 at home to West Ham in BD's penultimate game.

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Of course it doesn't end after 14 games. That's why I said some of the blame not all of it.

Not sure how you reckon we were picking up slightly. After we beat Newcastle on the 17th September, the next eight games before Billy left were: 

L,D,L,D,L,L,L,L.

32 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

... but I just want to pull you up on the "picking up slightly".

We took 5 points from August/September and only lost big to top teams
We took 1 point through October/November (failing to score in either month) and lost 5-0 at home to West Ham in BD's penultimate game.

13 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Not sure how you reckon we were picking up slightly. After we beat Newcastle on the 17th September, the next eight games before Billy left were: 

L,D,L,D,L,L,L,L.

I was 'remembering' how it seemed at the time, not the results. Maybe I misremember. One thing for sure I'll never forget Jimmy Jewell's tenure!

5 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

Football is a game of opinions but I suggest you watch the Rooney documentary on Netflix.

Outside from what The Sun portray of Wayne he seems to be a very clever footballer and great leader, we are paying him pittance on £9k a week (player wage not coach) which must be applauded. Rooney at the very least will help players such as Knight, Hector-Ingram etc from his experience being the highest goalscorer in Man Utd and England history.

As for a 3 hour commute Rooney may get a chauffeur and then its not bad at all.

You may be completely right about Rooney but I for one cannot wait for his arrival as I can only see it benefiting our club  

3 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

Football is a game of opinions but I suggest you watch the Rooney documentary on Netflix.

Outside from what The Sun portray of Wayne he seems to be a very clever footballer and great leader, we are paying him pittance on £9k a week (player wage not coach) which must be applauded. Rooney at the very least will help players such as Knight, Hector-Ingram etc from his experience being the highest goalscorer in Man Utd and England history.

You may be completely right about Rooney but I for one cannot wait for his arrival as I can only see it benefiting our club  

I know very little about Wayne Rooney apart from his football and I am happy to keep it that way. 

It sounds like he will be getting enough taunts from opposition fans without our own sharpening their knives.

A player is entitled to a holiday after a full season's football, surely? And he might just be able to afford to book a room at Morley Hayes when he's training down here. 

I am just looking forward to seeing him standing on the ball outside the penalty area as the opposition lines up their defensive wall. It'll be like Harry Wilson time all over again!

1 hour ago, Dale The Ram said:

I’m not bothered about his private life, that’s his business and I can’t argue on his past stats, the trophies he’s won or his past motivation and desire. Also Fergie certainly didn’t suffer fools either, but all this is in the past.

Folk saying “he’s turned DC around” is like saying he went to Tranmere and turned them around in league 1, MLS is pedestrian football compared to the Championship.

Football is about opinions and in my opinion this move massages Mel’s media profile, will financially bite us somewhere down the line and I question how much input did Phil have with it. 

42 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

Football is about opinions and in my opinion this move massages Mel’s media profile, will financially bite us somewhere down the line and I question how much input did Phil have with it. 

Our lot were 'over the moon' when they heard he'd signed. I wonder what effect him being here will have on our January transfer window?

Archived