The Derby way

MackworthRamIsGod

32 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

The recruitment is nothing short of diabolical. Always domestically based and never thinking outside of the box. We either recruit a player off the back of a good season: (Beilik, Lawrence, the entire of Clement's signings ?,) or rely on loans like last year. Norwich are the best idea of doing thinks right. Pukki on a free is up there with some of the best business I've seen, Not to mention Buendia and Hernandez coming from abroad.

It's alright having a war room with all the tools needed to spot any player, it's about the personnel scouting the players.

Yeah Bristol City have that small cm who looks absolute quality that they signed for just 2 million from Monaco. It’s a pity we don’t look abroad. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always been behind the signing of Cocu as manager and i still back him.He inherited a weak team, made even weaker by injuries.I really believe he has been sold down the river by MM and the recruitment team, promised 3 or 4 classy signings to augment a weak side, even in the run up to the window closing Cocu made it public that he expected at least 3 possibly 4 signings being made, he wouldn't say that if he didn't think that was the case, he doesn't seem the type who comes across as being economical with the truth and says it as it is.Then we come to the signing of Rooney (still out on that one myself) but to me it seems Rooney was signed to give the fans something to get excited and shout about and also so that fans attention is drawn away from the poor recruitment carried out over the summer.A lot are saying they are surprised we have had no loan signings from Chelsea but why would we, there is no allegiance towards a team from a previous manager when he moves on i posted from the start we wouldn't get anyone. The majority of youngsters who have come in are doing a decent job, One or Two are struggling to deal with stepping up (that's not knocking them or their talents in any way) Now is the time for Cocu (not the recruitment team who don't seem to have a clue) to scout free agents and get someone in until the end of the season (to give him and the team some breathing space) and MM to back him. Yes i know some will say that's blocking the youngsters path to the 1st team but i would certainly have them on the bench rather than send them out on loan,though perhaps that might help a couple of them. Cocu knew he was taking a tough start on to his career in English football but i really think he has been shafted by others.

I think Cocu was thinking the senior players would also play their part but they haven't, we have a captain who berates a youngster in front of fans,disgusting, do it behind doors in a calm controlled supportive way (Keogh with Buchanan) Lawrence the Jekyll and Hyde prima donna who believes i can do this, i can do that but in reality he can't, runs into dead ends and leaves the team exposed, there is no i in team, then we have the co-op horse Huddlestone, yes makes 2 or 3 good telling passes in a match but makes a hell of a lot of dire ones as well.Cocu has still got a lot of learning to do, which would have been dealt with by now if we hadn't had such a farcical closed season.

Where we are now is not all down to Cocu.

Apologies for the long post and i know others will disagree. 

I don't understand how the signing of Rooney can be used as an excuse for not signing anyone else. His wages are supposedly being covered by Red32, and he apparently chose Derby as the perfect place to get experience as a player-coach. Either we didn't have any more money anyway or we were unable to either find or sign the players we wanted. If it was for want of money we aren't going to improve quickly. If it was a recruitment problem then it needs to be looked at.

Our recruitment has been poor for years, how many players that we have brought in have been sold for a profit, or could be it they are still at the club. Vydra, Ince and Marriott ?

A high turnover of managers is not going to help, each cone in with their own playing philosophy and requirements for players to adapt that style, I’m not sure what our selection process is but we seem to change it every year.

The worry is that if you look at our team now, I’m not sure who are the players that are good enough to challenge for the top 6 of the second tier of football, despite us losing tens of millions a year and having ploughed tens of millions into the transfer market.

An unpopular opinion and one that I know won’t go down well on here, but imo the problem is within the hierarchy of the club, they haven’t got it right, and we are now seeing the accumulation of their poor decisions and actions. 

6 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Our recruitment has been poor for years, how many players that we have brought in have been sold for a profit, or could be it they are still at the club. Vydra, Ince and Marriott ?

A high turnover of managers is not going to help, each cone in with their own playing philosophy and requirements for players to adapt that style, I’m not sure what our selection process is but we seem to change it every year.

The worry is that if you look at our team now, I’m not sure who are the players that are good enough to challenge for the top 6 of the second tier of football, despite us losing tens of millions a year and having ploughed tens of millions into the transfer market.

An unpopular opinion and one that I know won’t go down well on here, but imo the problem is within the hierarchy of the club, they haven’t got it right, and we are now seeing the accumulation of their poor decisions and actions. 

Less than a month ago there was a thread praising MM for having learned his lessons. Maybe the club needs a little time for those lessons to be implemented?

11 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Less than a month ago there was a thread praising MM for having learned his lessons. Maybe the club needs a little time for those lessons to be implemented?

As I said just my opinion, I am looking at the situation as of today, I don’t have the full facts and a lot of my opinion is based upon assumptions. I believe the infrastructure, the dedication / commitment especially around a lot of the business side of the club cannot be faulted and will always recognise and acknowledge that.   

2 hours ago, atherstoneram said:

I have always been behind the signing of Cocu as manager and i still back him.He inherited a weak team, made even weaker by injuries.I really believe he has been sold down the river by MM and the recruitment team, promised 3 or 4 classy signings to augment a weak side, even in the run up to the window closing Cocu made it public that he expected at least 3 possibly 4 signings being made, he wouldn't say that if he didn't think that was the case, he doesn't seem the type who comes across as being economical with the truth and says it as it is.Then we come to the signing of Rooney (still out on that one myself) but to me it seems Rooney was signed to give the fans something to get excited and shout about and also so that fans attention is drawn away from the poor recruitment carried out over the summer.A lot are saying they are surprised we have had no loan signings from Chelsea but why would we, there is no allegiance towards a team from a previous manager when he moves on i posted from the start we wouldn't get anyone. The majority of youngsters who have come in are doing a decent job, One or Two are struggling to deal with stepping up (that's not knocking them or their talents in any way) Now is the time for Cocu (not the recruitment team who don't seem to have a clue) to scout free agents and get someone in until the end of the season (to give him and the team some breathing space) and MM to back him. Yes i know some will say that's blocking the youngsters path to the 1st team but i would certainly have them on the bench rather than send them out on loan,though perhaps that might help a couple of them. Cocu knew he was taking a tough start on to his career in English football but i really think he has been shafted by others.

I think Cocu was thinking the senior players would also play their part but they haven't, we have a captain who berates a youngster in front of fans,disgusting, do it behind doors in a calm controlled supportive way (Keogh with Buchanan) Lawrence the Jekyll and Hyde prima donna who believes i can do this, i can do that but in reality he can't, runs into dead ends and leaves the team exposed, there is no i in team, then we have the co-op horse Huddlestone, yes makes 2 or 3 good telling passes in a match but makes a hell of a lot of dire ones as well.Cocu has still got a lot of learning to do, which would have been dealt with by now if we hadn't had such a farcical closed season.

Where we are now is not all down to Cocu.

Apologies for the long post and i know others will disagree. 

Agree with this, definitely.

I feel for Cocu. The Chelsea/Lampard saga has totally shafted us. We're paying for possibly the worst pre-season anyone in our division has had.

He's come in half way through a pointless tour to Florida which gave the team no decent preparation, Lampard has left us with a polite farewell interview on Rams TV and a squad full of holes, and several players have been injured since before he came here which has resulted in an unbalanced team.

On top of that there is the appalling recruitment (I'm assuming Rosenior might have had something to do with recommending players, well done for that), and MM has decided to chase the limelight again by bringing in a 34 year old washed up boozer who won't even be here until half the season is done.

I'm hoping Cocu can make some improvements over the break. I have faith in him, but he's been dealt a dreadful hand here.

On 31/08/2019 at 16:52, MackworthRamIsGod said:

sack the bloody recruitment team

Who is the recruitment team?

Do you mean the scouts?

Am I naive to think the manager decides on it (maybe not at Chelsea, Juventus and Real Madrid)?

I'm guessing this season, Cocu deferred decisions to Rosenior.

So, credit to him for Bielik and, possibly, Clarke but, maybe, blame for Dowell and Paterson. That said, isn't Cocu's mate somebody significant at Everton. How's that friendship now?

There’s a lot of good stuff on this thread. Genuinely interesting and insightful but feels a few months premature to me. 

He was never going to be able to assemble the squad he needs in one, reduced transfer window. 

Not necessarily disagreeing with any of the comments but give the bloke a chance eh. 

I understand slating the recruitment team but, and I know some will disagree, we have signed Wayne effing Rooney!! Let’s give em some credit lads. 

48 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

i would like to know why Jamie Paterson seems to be partly to blame , we have hardly seen him , thought he was our only threat going forward against Forest

I know we've seen very little of him, and I've only seen him playing against us, but in those games against us I was very impressed with him. Hopefully he will get a run soon and prove the doubters wrong.

9 hours ago, Raich Van Carter said:

There’s a lot of good stuff on this thread. Genuinely interesting and insightful but feels a few months premature to me. 

He was never going to be able to assemble the squad he needs in one, reduced transfer window. 

Not necessarily disagreeing with any of the comments but give the bloke a chance eh. 

I understand slating the recruitment team but, and I know some will disagree, we have signed Wayne effing Rooney!! Let’s give em some credit lads. 

Wayne effing Rooney - there are a lot on here who think he is going to be our saviour. I hope i am proved wrong but this signing is more for sponsorship and getting new investment into the club than it is for Rooney putting a shift in on the pitch, do you think Rooney would have chosen us to advance his coaching qualifications without personal sponsorship being involved,of course he wouldn't, he is just going where the money is. He is not coming to Derby because he has a desire to play for Derby. This seems more to have MM written all over it than the recruitment team,however if it is to do with the recruitment team they need to be focusing more on nuts and bolts players who improve the team than a "celebrity" player who will bring in little apart from sponsorship. If their remit is to bring in players who can increase sponsorship then god help the club on the field. With the reported off field shenanigans of Rooney will he actually arrive in January, i wonder.If Mrs Rooney and the kids had settled in America, he wouldn't even be thinking of coming back, we are just a means to an end.

I don't personally like/dislike Rooney but from a playing point of view this may be a wrong addition to the club  

1 hour ago, atherstoneram said:

Wayne effing Rooney - there are a lot on here who think he is going to be our saviour. I hope i am proved wrong but this signing is more for sponsorship and getting new investment into the club than it is for Rooney putting a shift in on the pitch, do you think Rooney would have chosen us to advance his coaching qualifications without personal sponsorship being involved,of course he wouldn't, he is just going where the money is. He is not coming to Derby because he has a desire to play for Derby. This seems more to have MM written all over it than the recruitment team,however if it is to do with the recruitment team they need to be focusing more on nuts and bolts players who improve the team than a "celebrity" player who will bring in little apart from sponsorship. If their remit is to bring in players who can increase sponsorship then god help the club on the field. With the reported off field shenanigans of Rooney will he actually arrive in January, i wonder.If Mrs Rooney and the kids had settled in America, he wouldn't even be thinking of coming back, we are just a means to an end.

I don't personally like/dislike Rooney but from a playing point of view this may be a wrong addition to the club  

In my personal opinion I think you are 100% correct that Rooney will be a costly mistake and all the PR surrounding him coming did take our eye off other targets were we needed to strengthen.

Rooney will arrive 34, unfit and commuting from north Cheshire if you believe the press that they are having a mansion build.

I can not believe that when MM spoke with Cocu during negotiations Rooney was even spoken about. 

Also I don’t see how Rooney’s wages wont go through the books in regards to FFP even if 32Red are paying them. Unless 32Red own Rooney and they are paying him direct and then they loan him to us? What I’m sure you can’t do anyway.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Rooney will be Cocu’s replacement when he becomes the scapegoat in January. 

On 1 September 2019 at 08:20, RoyMac5 said:

He got us promoted - Jimmy Jewell got us relegated! Can't say that the recruitment helped either.

You make me laugh Roy, you moan about Rowetts style of play, Billy Davis was no better, how many 1-0 wins did we get with Billy in charge, the football we played under Billy was poo to watch, and some of his signings when we went up where awful, Clod Davis and bloody Earnshaw, hated Davis with a passion.

49 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

In my personal opinion I think you are 100% correct that Rooney will be a costly mistake and all the PR surrounding him coming did take our eye off other targets were we needed to strengthen.

Rooney will arrive 34, unfit and commuting from north Cheshire if you believe the press that they are having a mansion build.

I can not believe that when MM spoke with Cocu during negotiations Rooney was even spoken about. 

Also I don’t see how Rooney’s wages wont go through the books in regards to FFP even if 32Red are paying them. Unless 32Red own Rooney and they are paying him direct and then they loan him to us? What I’m sure you can’t do anyway.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Rooney will be Cocu’s replacement when he becomes the scapegoat in January. 

For the record Rooney arrives when the MLS season finishes in October.He will train with us until he can officially play in Jan.

his wages are covered by increased sponsorship so FFP is concerned his wages are balanced by the increase in profit,

The drive from north cheshire is aprox 1,5 hours,lots of players and managers commute now days,

As for you last statement ludicrous

7 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

For the record Rooney arrives when the MLS season finishes in October.He will train with us until he can officially play in Jan.

his wages are covered by increased sponsorship so FFP is concerned his wages are balanced by the increase in profit,

The drive from north cheshire is aprox 1,5 hours,lots of players and managers commute now days,

As for you last statement ludicrous

He’s already said he’s having a ‘family’ holiday after the MLS season finishes so god knows what that means in Rooney world. So he will turn up after Christmas, unfit and so won’t make an appearance until early February I expect.

Wages wise increased outside funding has to be relevant under FFP, somebody or thing can’t just inject millions of £ (bankroll) into a club like people are suggesting. It will have to appear somewhere in the books.

Commuting 3 hours a day isn’t a problem, many folk do, but there not millionaire footballers.  

I’m not doom and gloom regarding the future under Phil, I’m 100% behind him. I just don’t see a link between the club and Rooney or Cocu and Rooney, it baffles me. I’m pretty sure Cocu had no say in his coming.

I know I sit in a small majority that think Rooney’s arrival will not solve all our problems, because I think he really will not, if anything he will do the complete opposite.

8 hours ago, Derby blood said:

You make me laugh Roy, you moan about Rowetts style of play, Billy Davis was no better, how many 1-0 wins did we get with Billy in charge, the football we played under Billy was poo to watch, and some of his signings when we went up where awful, Clod Davis and bloody Earnshaw, hated Davis with a passion.

You make me laugh talking about supporting the club come what may. The point is that we're running out of money and need to get promoted, simple as. Billy did that and I don't remember that promotion season being as awful as some seem to say. I didn't rate Rowett but said if you'd bothered to notice, that the proof of his pudding would be in whether he got us promoted - that was the be all and end all. But you're a true fan so you must be right. ?

Archived