v Brentford (A) Match Thread

jimbo jones

Really interesting game is this one.

Brentford have started really slowly and haven’t really delivered on their pre-season promise. What’s new there, I suppose?

My gut feeling is that we’ll probably be the right team to play at the right time for Brentford. I can see them getting the win needed to kick start their season.

Either that, or we dig out a draw very much in the same manner as the Stoke game.

I don’t see us winning this one. Cardiff will be where we come to life - with Bogle and Holmes back and Bielik and Marriott two weeks further along in their battle for full fitness.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always predict a win, but oh boy we need one today. No fantasy scores no dream performances, just 3 honest points and some good performances.

Come on lads. I’ve bought myself a steak for tonight, there’s some good red waiting to join it, give us 3 points and a couple of goals to make it taste all the better. 

Lawrence to produce his one in every three on fire games today 

Roos

Keogh      Bielik      Clarke

holmes                                            Lowe

Knight    Dowell

Waghorn       Marriott      Lawrence 

bench: hamer, Buchanan, Davies, Huddlestone, evans, Bennett, Paterson 

Think this would be a good setup for today, Waghorn looked better out wide against WBA. Buchanan doesn’t really look ready for the first time to me. Would love to see Holmes get back to some of his form last season. Dowell looks like he has potential and I’m sure will find some form eventually. 

18 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Fancy us to get something today. Most likely a draw, but I’m forever hopeful.

A draw is not good enough, always 2 points dropped unless we are away at someone like Leeds or Fulham. For me a draw is one game closer to a  1 point per game average and we know how bad that would be, draws drag you towards the relegation zone without wins, we really need a win in this one. 3 wins and 3 losses is 9 points where as  1 win and 4 draws with 1 loss would have us on 7 points from 6 which is very poor. I always like to see teams go all out for the win home or away, becuase draws get you know where unless you are winning atleast half your games and then get the odd draw here and there to keep an unbeaten run going, other than it just drags you down the league.

19 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

A draw is not good enough, always 2 points dropped unless we are away at someone like Leeds or Fulham. For me a draw is one game closer to a  1 point per game average and we know how bad that would be, draws drag you towards the relegation zone without wins, we really need a win in this one. 3 wins and 3 losses is 9 points where as  1 win and 4 draws with 1 loss would have us on 7 points from 6 which is very poor. I always like to see teams go all out for the win home or away, becuase draws get you know where unless you are winning atleast half your games and then get the odd draw here and there to keep an unbeaten run going, other than it just drags you down the league.

A draw away is a very good result

1 hour ago, jono said:

I always predict a win, but oh boy we need one today. No fantasy scores no dream performances, just 3 honest points and some good performances.

Come on lads. I’ve bought myself a steak for tonight, there’s some good red waiting to join it, give us 3 points and a couple of goals to make it taste all the better. 

Lawrence to produce his one in every three on fire games today 

One in every three? Try one in every 10. 

27 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Couldn’t disagree more. Away from home a draw is always a decent result. At home you have a point, you need the wins. That doesn’t mean you go out aiming for a draw, of course you go out to win every game.

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Without appearing to speak for the OP doesn't this translate to a draw away is not a very good result given now that we haven't won at home from the start of the season?

41 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Couldn’t disagree more. Away from home a draw is always a decent result. At home you have a point, you need the wins. That doesn’t mean you go out aiming for a draw, of course you go out to win every game.

What when we struggle to win at home?  We need to beat Brentford simple as, we are not that good at home so our points are going to have to be quite evenly distributed or favour good away form if we are to do well, we are more of an effective away team becuase we don't have the creative players you need to break teams down who sit deep against us at Pride park, but we have pace on the counter for away games.

51 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

A draw away is a very good result

Don't buy it ,if you win your home games consistently then an away draw is fine but you need to be winning about 40% of your away games with some draws if your home form is average, Brentford are a more winnable game than a lot of games so it is an opportunity to get 3 points, I'm not confident for today but we do really need the 3 points in this type of game. Home advantage only counts for so much, we would need to win atleast 70% of our home games for away draws to be very good results.

34 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

I like this,I’m working till 6.30 but I’ve told everyone I’ll fetch steak for tea if we win.

Lose and we’ve got to scavenge out of the bins.

And you’re not going to the washing up either .. so there ! ?

Archived