v Brentford (A) Match Thread

jimbo jones

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see a midfield of Evans, Knight and Holmes. 

Bit of mobility needed to cope with Brentford's attacking style. 

Lawrence, Marriott and Waghorn are our best attacking options but they need to work better together and be hungrier for the ball. Forwards should be aggressive, by which I mean eager to dominate and humiliate the defence. 

We are a little passive so far. 

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I would like to see a midfield of Evans, Knight and Holmes. 

Bit of mobility needed to cope with Brentford's attacking style. 

Lawrence, Marriott and Waghorn are our best attacking options but they need to work better together and be hungrier for the ball. Forwards should be aggressive, by which I mean eager to dominate and humiliate the defence. 

We are a little passive so far. 

If Holmes isn't fit to start (please dont crucify me but) I'd play Bennett in the NO.10 role, feel like it will fit him a lot more than up top or on the wing...

17 minutes ago, Squid said:

If Holmes isn't fit to start (please dont crucify me but) I'd play Bennett in the NO.10 role, feel like it will fit him a lot more than up top or on the wing...

No crucifixion necessary. 

Bennett is young, strong and eager. He just doesn't have the composure needed at this level. 

I think he is one who could learn from Rooney about using his body strength to protect the ball and about releasing the simple pass. 

On Saturday we saw him snatch at a great chance. 

You might be right about playing him in the hole. He would be more proactive than Lawrence but whether he has the class I'm not so sure. 

2 hours ago, MK said:

Brentford were all over Charlton last weekend - 68% possession and 21 shots. However, only 4 of those were on target so they're not exactly troubling the keeper. Surely we can beat a team that've only scored 2 goal so far this season??

how long have you been a Derby fan?  ? we are the team the breaks losing streaks

Our midfield look so sheite on paper when you look at the options people are putting down, for me Bielik has to play in midfield to help improve the main weakness of the team. We had such a poor transfer window, yes we signed Rooney which appeased me at the time, but after seeing how Dowell plays and singing Paterson as Wilson's replacement we have had an absolute mare. We were crying out for a quality box to box CM after loosing Mount,  Bryson, and Johnson we didn't sign one and now our midfield resembles Clement ball, with Keogh and Bogle having more creativity and drive on the ball than our whole midfield put together. Don't want to keep doing negative posts, but if we don't address the midfield area  we will be lucky to finish top half, hopefully Knight and or Sibley are given a lot of game time and improve as the season goes on like Tomori did last season.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

He can't pass or control a ball properly and doesn't have much vision so I  don't think he would work there, either Lawrence, Paterson or Sibley would be the best options.

Going off of what ive seen before we never win after resting players for a league game. 

Griffin Park is a hard place to go and with how open we look mixed with our inability to create chances from open play i can only see a Brentford win. I hope that Cocu and the team prove me wrong and get a much needed win but in our current form and with how were playing i cant see it happening personally.

We need a win, 1 win from the opening 6 games isn't good enough.  I hope that the side that is picked is our strongest and players are played where they should be playing.

My team and Formation (wont happen) 4-2-2-2....

Hamer

Lowe        Keogh       Clarke       Buchanan

Bielik         Shinnie

Dowell                          Knight

Waghorn   Marriott

Bench - Roos, Evans, Malone, Huddlestone, Lawrence, Paterson, Bennett.

4-2-2-2. Back 4, 2 DM's in which 1 joins the attack while the other sits, 2 AM's which play narrower and not as wingers but can drift out wide to create space, 2 Forwards in which 1 can come for the ball and the other run in behind. We dont seem to have the players currently to play with wingers so i would play to our strengths in terms of number 10's and 2 forwards to create more. Shinnie impressed me at Forest, he works hard and gets up and down the pitch maybe what weve been lacking so i would try him away from home next to Bielik.

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

He can't pass or control a ball properly and doesn't have much vision so I  don't think he would work there, either Lawrence, Paterson or Sibley would be the best options.

Alright then. Someone who’s made it through academy football and is still playing professional football at the age of 22(?) for a second division side can’t pass or control a ball. Alright then. 

Do you read what you’re writing before you click send? By all means question his quality but the hyperbole nature of your statement is ridiculous. 

Given the players we have perhaps we should consider a 3-4-3 formation.

I would go for:-

GK: Roos, a back 3 of Keogh, Beilik and Clarke.

Holmes, Evans, Shinnie and Lowe

Lawrence as a No10 and Waghorn & Marriott up front.

Holmes and Lowe have good ability going forward, a solid looking back 3 and playing 2 strikers should allow us to press high and get on the front foot.

As other posters have said, we have been too passive. We are waiting for opportunities rather than pressing for opportunities.

COYR

37 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Alright then. Someone who’s made it through academy football and is still playing professional football at the age of 22(?) for a second division side can’t pass or control a ball. Alright then. 

Do you read what you’re writing before you click send? By all means question his quality but the hyperbole nature of your statement is ridiculous. 

Ok let me rephrase that , he can pass and control a ball to an extent but at a league 1 level, not good enough for a championship side who want to be atleast top 10. 

17 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Ok let me rephrase that , he can pass and control a ball to an extent but at a league 1 level, not good enough for a championship side who want to be atleast top 10. 

He was last year? (and the year before that).

1 minute ago, Mr Tibbs said:

He was last year? (and the year before that).

No but if everyone in our attack was of similar ability we would struggle , he adds hard work and physicality but doesn't have the ability on the ball, we had Wilson, Mount, Waghorn and Marriott around him scoring goals and creating chances now we don't have Wilson and Mount if Bennett is to play he has to do a lot better with his end product and decisions. Paterson seemed one of the better players vs Forest so maybe he starts on Saturday and starts to prove why we signed him. 

9 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

No but if everyone in our attack was of similar ability we would struggle , he adds hard work and physicality but doesn't have the ability on the ball, we had Wilson, Mount, Waghorn and Marriott around him scoring goals and creating chances now we don't have Wilson and Mount if Bennett is to play he has to do a lot better with his end product and decisions. Paterson seemed one of the better players vs Forest so maybe he starts on Saturday and starts to prove why we signed him. 

Isn't that why we spent 5+ million on Lawrence? 2.75 million on Jozefzoon? These players are meant to be on a better level than Mason, maybe they could do better with their end product and decisions. 

There's a ceiling for Bennett and he's probably at it but he's just as productive as any other winger in the team. Give him time to get going this year as he showed last year he's just as good as any of our wingers. The stats don't lie.

Archived