v Brentford (A) Match Thread

jimbo jones

Yesterday was a totally abject performance with no shape structure or plan. Movement was non existent and players seemed as if they didn't want the ball or responsibilty. We looked slightly better second half especially for the first 10 mins but realistically Brentford took their foot off the gas and kept us at arms length. we have to remove the tinted glasses and admit our whole squad is unbalanced, lacking creativity and im sure we have not seen our best 11 starting at anytime this season ,im not sure anyone knows what it is.

At best we are a middle to lower championship squad at present and i believe we have to give the manager time surely we cant keep changing. Unfortunately we have too many want it all ,want it now merchants following us who are full of hate, bitterness and poison (like a large chunk of today's society) who think nothing of berating/abusing players etc at the drop of a hat via social media and in the stadium and im sure this plays a significant part in pushing players in their shell and affecting performance.

• Replies 990
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Paterson played 43 games last season for a team that is currently in the top 6

Dowell joined Sheff Utd in January, a promotion winning team, do you think he was just going to walk into a settled team?

Fwiw I think Dowell has looked uninterested and poor so far.

So Paterson played 40 odd games, of which a quarter I believe was from the bench, and because they are now in the top 6 without him you use that as a benchmark to say he is an adequate replacement ? I would say that just adds to the argument he isn’t, given that they are in that position after deciding he is surplus to requirements.

As for Dowell, he had his chances when he started games or game on for Sheffield, he didn’t seize them, he wasn’t deemed good enough for a starting place.

I honestly fail to see how anyone believes we have had a good window in terms of transfers, we lost Mount, Wilson, Tomori, Nugent, Bryson, Johnson and Carson, on perms we brought in Belick and Shinnie (was there any more), and in loans the above mentioned and Hamer and Clarke.

A player needs to be an adequate replacement, not just brought in to add bodies to the squad, we were already short in certain areas under FL,  imo now we have a thread bare squad that will struggle to keep touch with the top 6 in this division. 

15 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Just seen the goals on the highlights, and fuckkkkkkkkk me what a shambles, the Dcfc channel only bothered showing the goals and not any of their numerous other chances probably to make things not look as bad but some of those goals I would have been furious if  I was a sunday league coach.

I'd actually pick on the first Brentford goal where Tom Lawrence totally over runs the ball then tries to shoulder barge the player over, bounces off him then strolls back and watches and does nothing to try and chase back and redeem his mistake.

Am not trying to turn this into a Tom Lawrence witch hunt but if the manager is not coaching his players that when they lose the ball they should be sweating blood to get it back then either the coaching is inadequate the players are ignoring it or both 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'd actually pick on the first Brentford goal where Tom Lawrence totally over runs the ball then drives to shoulder barge the player over and bounces off him then strolls back and watches and does nothing to try and chase back and redeem his mistake.

Am not trying to turn this into a Tom Lawrence witch hunt but if the manager is t coaching his players that when they lose the ball they should be sweating blood to get it back then either the coaching is inadequate the players are ignoring it or both 

I don't think that's the coaching , I just think Lawrence is a lazy arse hole who in all honesty I would be happy if he was never to play for us again.

8 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I don’t blame Cocu personally. He’s new to the division and how many foreign coaches come in and take to the Championship like water off a duck’s back? It’s very rare.

When he was appointed, I got swept up in the excitement like anyone else. It came out of absolutely nowhere. But in the days and weeks prior, I honestly thought Mel would go for Hughton or Wassall. Far less exotic and ambitious than Cocu, granted, but probably more along the lines of what the situation called for.

I doubt he he has identified any of these signings. He has obviously taken a guiding hand and put his trust in the club’s staff and it’s not unfair to suggest they have let him down.

No disrespect to Cocu at all but we should have snapped up Chris Hughton the moment FL was on his way. This is a man who knows what it takes to get out of this league, knows the EFL and the players. Why on earth appoint someone who knows nothing about English football and is now having to play catch up?  

Just now, Jayram said:

No disrespect to Cocu at all but we should have snapped up Chris Hughton the moment FL was on his way. This is a man who knows what it takes to get out of this league, knows the EFL and the players. Why on earth appoint someone who knows nothing about English football and is now having to play catch up?  

Was my choice too

im still backing cocu, we have to it’s way too early but I am currently incredibly perplexed as to roseniors actual input 

he was brought in as “mr championship” 

anyone who anything about the championship knows u need energy and mobility in at least one of your central midfielders... so why the duck are we lining up with Dowell and Huddlestone 

It clearly isn’t working

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'd actually pick on the first Brentford goal where Tom Lawrence totally over runs the ball then drives to shoulder barge the player over and bounces off him then strolls back and watches and does nothing to try and chase back and redeem his mistake.

Am not trying to turn this into a Tom Lawrence witch hunt but if the manager is t coaching his players that when they lose the ball they should be sweating blood to get it back then either the coaching is inadequate the players are ignoring it or both 

He Walked back with his chest puffed out, that was the most effort he put in all game. 

Let's wait and see.

This could be the best result of the season ... could be the wake-up call moment we need. FL was great but we need to blow the pixie dust away and everyone, manager, staff and players - and fans - have to take responsibility.

Time to dig in and start grinding out the results - wins, passes and tackles completed, ground covered. 

We all know that for several reasons the management and team are struggling at the moment and confidence must be low. Yesterday I was concerned about the football but more about the team spirit. I'm not going to name names but through sheer frustration a more senior player getting at a younger player achieves nothing. The team need to bond and so do we fans and get behind our players. We had an extremely charismatic manager last year and most bought into his vision and enthusiasm. Cocu seems a very different character and it will be a huge change for the players and they need to adjust which will take time. Yes results are disappointing and play has been poor but let's hold our heads high and be supportive.

3 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

Cocu seems a very different character and it will be a huge change for the players and they need to adjust which will take time.

Wasn't the whole point of Cocu that his style of play was similar and therefore the transition shouldn't be very big?

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Wasn't the whole point of Cocu that his style of play was similar and therefore the transition shouldn't be very big?

I'm not talking about his style of play I'm talking about his leadership. Some managers are inspirational eg Klopp and Lampard had that skill. Not sure Cocu is inspirational as when I've listened to his pre and post match comments it doesn't come over. Doesn't mean he can't succeed though given time

1 minute ago, Dappled Ram said:

I'm not talking about his style of play I'm talking about his leadership. Some managers are inspirational eg Klopp and Lampard had that skill. Not sure Cocu is inspirational as when I've listened to his pre and post match comments it doesn't come over. Doesn't mean he can't succeed though given time

That's a fair comment. Seemed to have an edge about him in his interview yesterday, so I hope that has him all fired up.

3 hours ago, Ram8 said:

How significant is it that the reaction to my post about bringing back Chris Martin hasn’t raised the usual hackles ?

Answer .. VERY !

And why ? Because my point about Waghorn, Marriott and Bennett not having proven to be good enough is indisputable, and therefore no-one can disagree any more ..

So, we all agree now do we ? That class and ability will come to our rescue if Chris Martin is selected .. 

Hallelujah, at last, you’ve ‘seen the light’ !

Chris Martin is one of my favourite players since the Jim Smith era. 

I can think of many criticisms. He's slow defensively so his pressing is ineffective. He doesn't offer the ball in behind option. He's not great in the air. He's not a natural finisher or even a natural striker. He would sometimes rather wind up defenders, win free kicks, pressure the ref and do the dirty stuff than just get on with the play and sometimes that's what we need. 

However he can pass, control and keep possession. Now usually I'd say that those are basic requirements but right now they seem like pipe dreams. 

I hear the complaints of "He's past it, move on. He's scored 3 goals in 3,746 games". 

My argument however would be is that while he may not provide goals I think he might provide the team with the ducking basic football abilities. 

11 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

You're probably right but Clarke started very well this season, it's strange how quickly hes dropped out of favour. Bielek starting at DCM & a runner like Holmes would transform this team. I'm sure Cocu recognises this as you say though

Yes, I am puzzled by that one too. Clarke looked seriously classy and was obviously driven .. that first game he showed 100% guts to go with the skill and presence. I’m wondering if he has some niggle injury / knock that we don’t know about. ? 

I’d definitely want him in defence. 

Then Bielik as CDM plus a fit Holmes and either Shinnie or Knight in a midfield 3.

our strongest 11 can compete. Certain of it. Just something not right in the mix and mentality yesterday. .. it will be ok . Patience lads, patience. 

5 minutes ago, jono said:

Yes, I am puzzled by that one too. Clarke looked seriously classy and was obviously driven .. that first game he showed 100% guts to go with the skill and presence. I’m wondering if he has some niggle injury / knock that we don’t know about. ? 

I’d definitely want him in defence. 

Then Bielik as CDM plus a fit Holmes and either Shinnie or Knight in a midfield 3.

our strongest 11 can compete. Certain of it. Just something not right in the mix and mentality yesterday. .. it will be ok . Patience lads, patience. 

This. Add Holmes to right back and move Lowe to leftback, and I would expect the balance and threat to be immeasurably improved.

15 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

What kind of fan is booing, impatient ones who faced with a transitional season can’t handle it before the end of August?

Ringing any bells?

What a K**b.. honestly WTF. Go happy clap in your own arse. 

Did you see that yesterday? You can sit there and defend it all you like. The answer is .... THAT was not GOOD. aa

clearoy people are angry and they have every right to be. 

From what I saw there was no commitment. If I’m honest with Cuco’s lack of emotion I doubt I would be up for the fight. I live in London and if I’d of seen them in a service station I’d of booed them to there faces as that was the worst performance I have seen since Barnsley away under Nigel Clough. 

2 hours ago, Jayram said:

Yep.  Never made any secret that he would have been my first choice.  I do feel we are becoming Razzamatazz FC rather than a functioning entity , its a fine balancing act with that kind of thing.   Also nice to see that so many have taken off the rose tinted 'thanks for everything Frank 'specs and are clicking with how much he actually shafted us .

Did not see or.listen to the game. Lack of cohesion in defence clear as a bell for goals. New players not knowing where others are. Automatics are gone. Target is sixth place as last season. We got the worst choice of early teams to play but we nearly lost to Stoke and everyone and their dog has beaten them so far. Holmes, Bielik and Evans in midfield for me. Some players when dispossessed do not run and get behind the ball but just watch. Always the sign of lack of commitment to keep a clean sheet. This team is not good enough to play out from the back at least only to the half way line. Transition season looking likely till Ramarooney gets here.

Archived