Relax, we're in a good place!

Comrade 86

5 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

And? It's not making the point that Max should have stayed on his feet that I was alluding to as if you'd read the first post properly, it's a point I made myself. It's the way some folk go about making their point that I take issue with which  is also made clear in my OP. 

OK

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no clue why Max Lowe is getting criticism, I've been really impressed with him considering he's playing on the wrong side.

When we get Bogle back and he can move over to the left I think those two are going to inflict a lot of damage on teams.

Derby have played some really good possession football at times - just not enough of it and too inconsistent. 

I have a Jim Smith feeling about this team. Seriously, I think we could click and go on a run in a few weeks.

I’ve always doubted the future of Max Lowe as a Derby player in the past as he was always good going forwards but dodgy when defending.......however he’s certainly putting those fears to bed with his current form, looks like the loan spell with Aberdeen has done him the world of good!

He made a mistake at the weekend by diving in....it happens, he’s still a young and inexperienced player. I’m betting he will learn from this and come back stronger.

Im actually looking forward to seeing him given a run in the LB slot when bogles back and making it his own

On 25/08/2019 at 07:50, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Unfortunately that is the price of putting all your eggs in the Rooney basket.

We clearly went all out to get Rooney and that clearly took our focus away from getting what we so desperately needed, quality wingers.

More likely is that by the tim Franky boy had finally announced what we all knew deep down was going to happen, all the decent wingers had been snapped up and we were left in the position of borrowing a player that their club didn't want.

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I'm not too worried about our start in all honesty. We was handed a tough start by the league, so providing we can get some points and not fall too far down the league when we start playing the games we should be winning, we will then no doubt pick up points at a quicker rate. 

I'm looking at:
Birmingham (H)
Barnsley (A)
Luton (H)
Charlton (A)
Wigan (H)
Hull (A)
M'Boro (H)
Forest (A)
PNE (H)

We have a good chance to be picking up lots of wins, which in turn breeds confidence. We still have Brentford (A), Cardiff (H) and Leeds (A) before that unfortunately. A win, a draw and a loss would be a good return - although it would only be four points. 

I hoping we can get to Twelve points by the end of September that would be a par start with the games we have had 

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Dangerous game to start predicting which teams in our next fixtures we could or should be taking points from. By the same token as winning breeds confidence not winning or even losing does the opposite - we may be extremely low on confidence when we do come into the run of "easy" fixtures making them therefore not as easy as some may point out.

Yeh but how do you know confidence breeds winning?

Or vice versa?

Or more importantly, how do you know that makes any real difference?

It feels like it *should* but have you seen any research?

I could spend all day listing confident teams or sports people who got embarrassed without having to go back more than 24-hours and point to Australia.

There is/was a theory in basketball called the 'hot hand'. It meant that players hit form in spurts and that when a player did so, he was the hot hand and you got the ball to him.

Only it's utter nonsense.

Even when Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversy proved it to be nonsense with mountains of irrefutable data, some coaches still didn't believe them.

People like to think stuff that seems to make sense is true - even when it's not.

Look at Villa last season, did they suddenly get confidence? Or were they just a good team that hadn't hit their stride?

Derby under Smith were languishing badly and then got hammered 5-1 away at Tranmere.

Then they went on a run of 20+ games unbeaten when their confidence must have been at an all-time low.

I can remember Carlisle and Blackpool top of the old first division only to get relegated. Blackpool were bottom of the old second division almost at Christmas and still went up - my mum was from Blackpool, so that's why I took any notice.

I do think confidence plays a part, I just think talent and good coaching and way more important.

17 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Lowe didn’t dive in. Not into the challenge at least. As he said in his post match interview, he slid in (in a straight line) to try and stop the cross. I get Cocu’s irritation/criticism but I think he was a tad harsh. The ref got it wrong. 

100% correct sir!

38 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Lowe didn’t dive in. Not into the challenge at least. As he said in his post match interview, he slid in (in a straight line) to try and stop the cross. I get Cocu’s irritation/criticism but I think he was a tad harsh. The ref got it wrong. 

Maybe. But the instruction was to stay on your feet and don't give the ref an opportunity to make a mistake. Couldn't be clearer.

P.s. In fairness to the ref, in real time it looked like a pen, but it was hard to see what was going on in the shadows.

5 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Yeh but how do you know confidence breeds winning?

Or vice versa?

Or more importantly, how do you know that makes any real difference?

It feels like it *should* but have you seen any research?

I could spend all day listing confident teams or sports people who got embarrassed without having to go back more than 24-hours and point to Australia.

There is/was a theory in basketball called the 'hot hand'. It meant that players hit form in spurts and that when a player did so, he was the hot hand and you got the ball to him.

Only it's utter nonsense.

Even when Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversy proved it to be nonsense with mountains of irrefutable data, some coaches still didn't believe them.

People like to think stuff that seems to make sense is true - even when it's not.

Look at Villa last season, did they suddenly get confidence? Or were they just a good team that hadn't hit their stride?

Derby under Smith were languishing badly and then got hammered 5-1 away at Tranmere.

Then they went on a run of 20+ games unbeaten when their confidence must have been at an all-time low.

I can remember Carlisle and Blackpool top of the old first division only to get relegated. Blackpool were bottom of the old second division almost at Christmas and still went up - my mum was from Blackpool, so that's why I took any notice.

I do think confidence plays a part, I just think talent and good coaching and way more important.

Villa didn't suddenly get confidence they got their star player Jack Grealish back from injury 

18 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

More likely is that by the tim Franky boy had finally announced what we all knew deep down was going to happen, all the decent wingers had been snapped up and we were left in the position of borrowing a player that their club didn't want.

Wingers? I don't think we're playing with wingers TBH - FloJo, Lawrence and Waggers have all been tucking inside rather than staying wide - I think we're playing inside forwards / floating AMs

I'm staying positive about the start to the season so far

Huddersfield - Looked good and well worth the win against a side just relegated; they only scored because of a mistake by an overly keen debutant

Swansea - Should have won and looked the better side against a team currently flying

Stoke - Not sure, they're a bit of a bogey team for us at the moment still cos of the Rowett stuff; plus they still have a decent squad - They remind me of the Sunderland relegation side - Could be the best in the league on their day but their days are few and far between

Bristol City - Shouldn't have lost, they only had two chances and took both; plus they're a good side capable of challenging for the top 6 at least

West Brom - Again, should have won; we had the chances - They're one of my pre-season favourites for the top 2 so the fact we looked good value for a win against them (for me) says we're doing fine

Overall - Disappointing position to be in but we're only 5 games in, have played well mostly, showing some great signs and once the team gels into the style of play we could be very dangerous - I see a slow but steady build over the next few weeks and then back end of Oct / early November we'll get into our stride and give someone a good tonking - Wigan, Hull, Boro or those weird lads down the road maybe...

Anybody critisising Lowe for his performance on Saturday needs to give their head a good wobble.  Considering he's playing out of position and being very one footed, he was class.  Some good link up lay with Waghorn and intelligent use of the ball in tight areas.  Yeah he's not as explosive or exciting as Bogle but once they're both fully fit I can really see Lowe blossoming back at left back.

12 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Villa didn't suddenly get confidence they got their star player Jack Grealish back from injury 

And the Jim Smith side from 95, went on that run once he switched it to 3 at the back with Igor as sweeper.

Although confidence does play a part in performances...

8 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

And the Jim Smith side from 95, went on that run once he switched it to 3 at the back with Igor as sweeper.

Did we? I had it in my head we went to 3 at the back in the Premier League - I thought we played a back 4 of Rowett, Stimac, Yates and Powell (but my awareness of the formations and tactics was limited to a 10 year old viewpoint of "win games")

Just now, cheron85 said:

Did we? I had it in my head we went to 3 at the back in the Premier League - I thought we played a back 4 of Rowett, Stimac, Yates and Powell (but my awareness of the formations and tactics was limited to a 10 year old viewpoint of "win games")

A lot of matches were Rowett, Stimac & Yates flanked by Carsley/Kavanagh on the right and Nicholson/Chris Boden & Powell (who signed in Jan).

Although I've slept, and drank more than a couple of beers since that time...

Archived