v Forest (A) Carabao Cup Match Thread

RiddingsRam

37 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The word "transition season" has got to be the most over used phrase on this forum closely followed a few years ago by "The Derby Way" which has now been turned into a comment of ridicule.

Who has determined that it's a transition season, what are we transitioning from/to, what are we going to transition from this season that we have failed to do so for the previous 3 seasons?

You can perhaps tell my obvious dislike for the word as it seems to be used as a catch all to defend all player or managerial failings at the club 

How about using a 'start from square one again'season instead then, cos thats what we seem to do every year. 

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CROSSWORD said:

How about using a 'start from square one again'season instead then, cos thats what we seem to do every year. 

More appropriate I guess...still doesn't make things any more acceptable from the previous season or the season before that one ad infinitum

1 hour ago, Sexydadbod said:

The depressing thing is we’ve been in transition for the last 4 seasons now. It was the excuse used last season too to give Lampard time. Seems a bit of a cop out to me, Bielsa has got Leeds playing good stuff even though they lost their best players too, and we had a big head start on Leeds too from where they were a few years ago. 

We were in the play offs for 2 of the 4 seasons I think, so hardly transition. Wheras this season we will be nowhere near and our manager is actually here to stay

Honestly I can’t really get up for this game. It’s more of an annoyance that’s its Forest. It’s a cup competition that neither side will win so I’m not that bothered about us losing. We need to pick the right team - play the players that need minutes on the pitch like Holmes Marriott Curtis Davies Shinnie etc if we win great, if we lose no issue, it gives them a false sense of confidence and then hopefully we smash them in the league game.

Wierdly if this was an FA Cup game id feel differently and I’d be more bothered. Don’t know why, it’s just how I feel. 

4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Honestly I can’t really get up for this game. It’s more of an annoyance that’s its Forest. It’s a cup competition that neither side will win so I’m not that bothered about us losing. We need to pick the right team - play the players that need minutes on the pitch like Holmes Marriott Curtis Davies Shinnie etc if we win great, if we lose no issue, it gives them a false sense of confidence and then hopefully we smash them in the league game.

Wierdly if this was an FA Cup game id feel differently and I’d be more bothered. Don’t know why, it’s just how I feel. 

32F8117F-1E53-46E1-B653-5015A61B6489.gif

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Honestly I can’t really get up for this game. It’s more of an annoyance that’s its Forest. It’s a cup competition that neither side will win so I’m not that bothered about us losing. We need to pick the right team - play the players that need minutes on the pitch like Holmes Marriott Curtis Davies Shinnie etc if we win great, if we lose no issue, it gives them a false sense of confidence and then hopefully we smash them in the league game.

Well I am going so can not wait, and I am sure the other 3300, rams fans going are going there wanting to win, I never want to lose against that lot down the a52, and I hope everyone connected with Derby wants to win, winning breeds confidence, and I know 1 or 2 red dogs so I deffo want the bragging rights. No Rams fans I know want to lose this one, and I know plenty believe me.

14 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Someone needs to take up @Angry Ram's fight and defend cup competitions. 

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Someone needs to take up @Angry Ram's fight and defend cup competitions. 

And you know what you’re right there. I think it’s the fact we’ve done so badly in this one for so many years through playing weakened teams that I just have a general apathy the competition. FA Cup I still feel different about and always like to see us play a strong team.

Last season’s carabao cup run under Frank was special. Maybe a good win tomorrow night will re-ignite my interest. 

8 minutes ago, KCG said:

Good cup runs last season didn't do us any harm, tends not to hurt the top managers and clubs in the Premier either!

Didn’t Mount get an injury in a cup game last year, that put him out for a long period in which we struggled to get the points required to stay in touch with the top 2 ?

26 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

Well I am going so can not wait, and I am sure the other 3300, rams fans going are going there wanting to win, I never want to lose against that lot down the a52, and I hope everyone connected with Derby wants to win, winning breeds confidence, and I know 1 or 2 red dogs so I deffo want the bragging rights. No Rams fans I know want to lose this one, and I know plenty believe me.

No one wants to lose it. I get that and I hate Forest as much as anyone. I tried to get a ticket and couldn’t. When I say I’m not up for the game, I more mean I don’t have the same build up of nerves and tension that I get days before leading up to a Forest game normally, possibly because there’s not as much riding on it, or more likely it’s because I’m subconsciously preparing myself so I don’t get as upset about it if the result doesn’t go our way!

41 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

We were in the play offs for 2 of the 4 seasons I think, so hardly transition. Wheras this season we will be nowhere near and our manager is actually here to stay

"Continuity"        there's the New word. 

Will people please back the team and Management and stop calling for peoples heads because we've  "missed" penalties/dropped points/upset you because we're not playing like Brazil 

This is not some version of FIFA or whatever game is currently in vogue ,it's the real world . I don't give a monkey's about Bielsa and what his team are doing, how did it work out for them last season after "running away " with it ?

Yes, there is a certain irony in people who demand loads of new signings every season and then wonder why we are always in transition. 

The club has also been unlucky in that our last two managers have left us but the good thing is there is now a longer term plan in place, regardless of all the above.

I may be in a minority (or just have seen too many seasons of football now) but I honestly don't think there's a known recipe for success at this level. We just throw more or less similar ingredients into the mix and hope the result is a tasty dish. 

A little bit of trial and error, a little bit of tweaking here and there is probably what we now need. 

6 hours ago, Andicis said:

Not for me. I don't really like what I've seen from Shinnie as a player, doesn't look overly skillful to me.

Well the supposedly more skillful midfielders Dowell and Hudds aren’t forming a particular cohesive unit at present.

For me I’m not as fussed by skillful midfielders at the moment, we need to get the basics of a balanced midfield in this division where you need to be more than just skillful.

I wouldn’t call Bryson a skillful player yet he was a hugely important player for us at one stage.

Our midfield needs balance and for me Shinnie and/or Holmes could well offer the key to getting that balance as they have attributes the others don’t!

1 hour ago, angieram said:

A little bit of trial and error, a little bit of tweaking here and there is probably what we now need. 

And that's why I see it as a good thing that 'Cocu doesn't know his best team yet'. We've had a fairly solid start in a tough set of opening fixtures whilst we're still figuring out how to set up. Once it clicks and the likes of Bogle, Marriott and Holmes get up to speed, I think we'll be promotion contenders.

3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Good job you weren’t batting for England yesterday then ! 

3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

What the hell I am fired up as hell must not lose this what is freaking wrong with you.

Archived