v Forest (A) Carabao Cup Match Thread

RiddingsRam

• Replies 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ramos said:

Anyone know anywhere good to drink before the match in notts? Few people mentioned meadow lane, is that confirmed as somewhere Derby fans can go? 

Trent Navigation Inn on Meadow Lane excellent pub with its own microbrewery at the back would be my choice to go, would avoid the other places like The Southbank etc near the Forest ground as they are for die hard home fans only.

Looking at other posts in this thread would also avoid Hooters too as despite the urban myths it is just plain crap

As conteversial as it sounds, even though I want us to win, I would rather we loose against Forest then beat Brentford than the other way  round, as with our poor start we need points on the board and going into the international break with 1 league win would be very disappointing, not too assed about a cup run either TBH.

24 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

As conteversial as it sounds, even though I want us to win, I would rather we loose against Forest then beat Brentford than the other way  round, as with our poor start we need points on the board and going into the international break with 1 league win would be very disappointing, not too assed about a cup run either TBH.

Rather win both mate

if evans replaced huddz and bennett replaced waggy in the eleven that started v west brom, we'd have a team with an average age of just over 23.

Not bad. 

A chance to develop the sprogs and keep some continuity?

Roos

Davis Bielik Clarke

Jozefzoon                              Buchanan

Holmes  Shinnie

Lawrence

Marriott  Bennett 

Roos, despite his age is still inexperienced (100 games only) and Hamer is just a temporary fix, for me, whilst we search for a true no.1 so I'd play our own guy here, all high pressure games should benefit him.

With news on Bogle being hard to find - no clear return date yet - and Lowe being our only realistic option as cover, I'd not risk an injury here.  With no obvious youth to step up, I'd go 3 at the back. Davis, Bielik, Clarke.  Davis and Bielik need minutes to get sharp and Clarke was unlucky to miss WBA.

Wing Backs Jozefzoon and Buchanan.  Somewhen Jozefzoon has to do something, but he's only in as there are no fit alternatives. Buchanan's only negative against WBA was not getting forward enough (I'm being picky) so here he can have more license to attack with plenty of cover.

Holmes and Shinnie both need minutes (and I'd rest Knight given his high tempo approach to games and he needs to be fresh for Brentford)

Lawrence with a free role suites him.

Marriott needs another 60-70 minutes to increase sharpness and Bennett gives Waghorn a rest.

Should be good enough and gets us closer to a fully match-fit squad.

Does Cocu know his best team yet? Will he feel he's given everyone a chance? And with his brief to develop the academy players (7 of whom knocked out Scunny away to get us this tie), won't he likely play plenty again?

Holmes will play to get match time to bring him closer to fitness. Marriott may also start for the same reason. I think we want to give academy players a taste of the first team. And if Lowe were to get injured and Holmes not be ready, we're really stuffed at right back. I think it's time to look at Joe Bateman there. Between the sticks Hamer deserves to play after his clean sheet last time out. So my expectation is:

Hamer

Bateman     Davies     Clarke     Shinnie

Evans

Holmes       Knight

Bennett     Marriott     Paterson

Subs: Ravas Lowe Bielik Sibley Martin Josefzoon  Mitchell-Lawson

That's 9 changes from Saturday compared with the 11 Cocu made for the first round.

19 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Does Cocu know his best team yet?

I'm darn sure that for him it doesn't matter who is out there, as long as one does as he should. Tactics are simple, just keep your position.

The very exact reason osome of the players are suffering and youngesters are going to be in the first team more often 

On 24/08/2019 at 10:37, Andicis said:

Really, really hope Holmes is fit. If he is fit to play even 45 minutes, we should fast track him into the first team, we've absolutely desperate for the midfield linking player to support the strikers, and Holmes is just that.

If he’s not fit then Shinnie needs to be given a chance in that role. He’s the only other one in that midfield that looks able to break through the lines and support the attack

Certainly a tough one to decide on the approach....

Whether to give fringe players a run out or ensure we pummel our local rivals into the ground at every opportunity.

Given that this is a "transition season" and I doubt we'll make the playoffs, then I'd plump for the latter.

Nah, wait. Even if it was the play off final the following day, I would say we should put 100% effort and resources into beating F*****.

7 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Whether to give fringe players a run out or ensure we pummel our local rivals into the ground at every opportunity.

Given that this is a "transition season" and I doubt we'll make the playoffs, then I'd plump for the latter.

Nah, wait. Even if it was the play off final the following day, I would say we should put 100% effort and resources into beating F*****.

That's the ticket mi owd...

7 hours ago, Ramarena said:

If he’s not fit then Shinnie needs to be given a chance in that role. He’s the only other one in that midfield that looks able to break through the lines and support the attack

Not for me. I don't really like what I've seen from Shinnie as a player, doesn't look overly skillful to me.

21 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Cocu is going to play the reserves and that means this lot in the main

Hamer

lowe Davies Clarke Malone

Evans 

Holmes  Shinnie

Bennett    Martin.     Paterson 

only lowe being a current starter and that is still a very decent X1 

yes - that.

10 hours ago, IslandExile said:

The depressing thing is we’ve been in transition for the last 4 seasons now. It was the excuse used last season too to give Lampard time. Seems a bit of a cop out to me, Bielsa has got Leeds playing good stuff even though they lost their best players too, and we had a big head start on Leeds too from where they were a few years ago. 

11 hours ago, IslandExile said:

The word "transition season" has got to be the most over used phrase on this forum closely followed a few years ago by "The Derby Way" which has now been turned into a comment of ridicule.

Who has determined that it's a transition season, what are we transitioning from/to, what are we going to transition from this season that we have failed to do so for the previous 3 seasons?

You can perhaps tell my obvious dislike for the word as it seems to be used as a catch all to defend all player or managerial failings at the club 

Archived