Shopping habits

FindernRam

The politics thread ventured into shopping so I thought it may be appropriate to pull it out to its own thread.

As a shopper I'm a bit of a homing missile- Know what I want, go in, get it , get out. I don't want an "experience". I rarely browse unless I'm waiting for she who must be obeyed. In fact clothes are the only things I get in town.

Now, a single trip is roughly half a gallon of diesel, £3.20 parking, car wear and tear and at least an hour wasted, so "self collection" costs £10 plus my time.

Argos deliver for £4 often same day and in the evening.

Amazon Prime is usually free and next day

Why go to the hassle of going into the dump that is Derby. The only shops that ever look busy are the coffee places. Last week I was stuck in town for an hour and took a walk around to relieve the boredom:

Eagle Market: a totally depressing soulless place

Old Covered Market, so much scaffolding I wasn't sure there were any stalls in there.

Debenhams/Duckworth square: Oh dear!

Green lane: some very dodgy looking people there, avoided eye contact and kept walking

Babbington lane: At least Potts is still there!

The Spot: Nice shiny ring things.

The internet is my shopping friend!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took the "homing missile" approach to whole new level a few years back. Basically I went onto to a clothing shop's website and got SKU codes of the t-shirts and sizes I wanted, parked up in the Intu, went in to the clothing shop, went to an assistant saying this is what I want, she went into the back and 5 minutes later came out with everything I wanted in the size I wanted, paid and left Intu without paying for the car park due to me being there for under the allotted time before they charged you. Nowadays for me, everything is bought online after reading a few reviews.

5 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Why go to the hassle of going into the dump that is Derby. The only shops that ever look busy are the coffee places. Last week I was stuck in town for an hour and took a walk around to relieve the boredom:

Eagle Market: a totally depressing soulless place

Old Covered Market, so much scaffolding I wasn't sure there were any stalls in there.

Debenhams/Duckworth square: Oh dear!

Green lane: some very dodgy looking people there, avoided eye contact and kept walking

Babbington lane: At least Potts is still there!

The Spot: Nice shiny ring things.

The internet is my shopping friend!

Don't ever apply for a job working for the Derby Tourism Board 

Must admit if it’s not something I need to look at to decide upon in a shop, or try out, then I tend to just order it off amazon. Only really if it’s something like clothes that I need to try on that I’ll actually venture out the house to a shop to look through things. Even then sometimes I order stuff online to be delivered as it’s cheaper. It’s just the way things are these days with amazon prime, it’s so much easier and cheaper. 

Doesnt help that Derby is a bit of a shithole in town, full of closed down stores and druggies if you’re in the wrong areas. Not a place you really want to go to. That said, in all fairness INTU has a decent range of places these days, means less trips into places like Birmingham/ Nottingham. Must admit that when I do go in there I tend to wander around looking at stuff like a loner for no real reason other than to remind me what I need!

Don't bother with ever going to shops now, waste of productive time. Clothes can be a bit of a gamble in sizing, you win some you lose some. May go once a year at Xmas to a shopping centre if I've forgotten someone and need it that day, right and then. Only time I ever go on the high street apart from that is when you have to do something in a bank branch but that is getting rarer and rarer now thankfully.

I do virtually all of my company's "miscellaneous" purchasing on Amazon business now which is linked to my personal prime account. Just created a few lists of PPE/Canteen consumbles/stationery/H&S/Cleaning etc. etc. The saving will be around £6k over a year and so unbelievably easy and convenient. Took me a day to set the lists up so well worth it. Beforehand had tens of individual suppliers across the board, generating POs, chasing deliveries, chasing VAT invoices...Absolute pain in the backside. Now just click through the lists, add to the basket and pay within a minute...once a month I download all the VAT receipts and sign off to be reconicled against the card statement. Bezos has nailed it. Any issues can be dealt with through one login/platform with Amazon being responsible for keeping their third party suppliers in check.

Archived