Best Guitarist Ever

froggg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despise any of that wave of supposed fast hands who put technical delivery before any consideration of musical delivery. Steve Vai, Richie Blackmore, Eddie Van Halen, Garry Moore, all of those. It was the equivalent of listening to a Lamborghini, honed to perfection, supposedly head turning but in reality an awful experience that lost all sight of what it's supposed to be about.

8 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Robert Johnson. 

When Keith Richards first heard him, he assumed it was two guitarists. 

Perhaps one was miming? ?

I'm not really into guitarists as you can probably tell, but i do like James Jamerson the legendary bass guitarist for motown (who also played double bass in jazz bands). One recording session when they couldn't get the sound they wanted, runners were dispatched to go and find jamerson. When they finally tracked him down he was bladdered and couldn't stand up, so they got him to play whilst lying on the floor. apparently he smashed it. It might have been "heard it through the grapevine".

having no musical education or training, alot of this video means nothing to me, but i do know that the records sound great, and i love the hero whorship. Motown, jazz, blues and soul is so important in the history of human culture.....it is music of black origin which smashed racist attitudes into the long grass.

Lots of good ones all very different. Hendrix, Angus Young,  Tony Iommi, Ritche Blackmore, Edward Van Halen, Michael Schenker, Randy Rhoads are just a few I listen to. As a footnote, Angus Young, despite playing an "unfashionable" genre of music, played on one of the biggest selling albums of all time...Back in Black. If I had to pick one, Angus Young. Performance, energy, excitement, style? Without a doubt.

9 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Lots of good ones all very different. Hendrix, Angus Young,  Tony Iommi, Ritche Blackmore, Edward Van Halen, Michael Schenker, Randy Rhoads are just a few I listen to. As a footnote, Angus Young, despite playing an "unfashionable" genre of music, played on one of the biggest selling albums of all time...Back in Black. If I had to pick one, Angus Young. Performance, energy, excitement, style? Without a doubt.

There are not many average lead guitarists it is not the job description.  I love the ones that are truly distinctive the ones you know even if the song Is new.

Blackmore, the edge, Bonamasa, tramonte, Angus young, schenker, Eddie van halen, slash, carlos Santana.  Probably the list is endless..........thank god

17 hours ago, richinspain said:

35 comments, and no mention of Jimmy Page ?

I was tempted but his live performances could be a little sloppy in the mid-1970's due to drug abuse. Same with Pete Townsend. Don't get me wrong, both good but live was another matter.

Harry Vanda (Easybeats), Angus Young used to hang around as older brother George was in the band and learnt well. Friday on my mind the only track Springsteen said he can’t play.

Joe Walsh brilliant even off his chops.

Eddie Van Halen, name says it all.

Archived