Calm down, calm down

IslandExile

After the fun of the Lampard season, I dreaded who we might appoint. But Mel pulled off a major coup and I was elated when we appointed Cocu. We all were...well bar 3 out of 500(?), look back at the survey results.

The general consensus was that he was to be given time to build something sustainable and for the long term, utilizing the academy. Not least because we could not buy promotion like Wolves did and now Fulham are trying.

But, look what's happened, we've not played well against Stoke, made a couple of errors and so lost to a decent Bristol side and mayhem has ensued. The forum is in meltdown.

I understand the frustration. I'm getting old fer chrissekes. We all want to see Derby back in the top flight as soon as possible. But sheesh.

After a few poor appointments (Mac2, Clement, Pearson and Rowett - actually that's quite a lot), Mel has learnt the type of manager that can deliver the "Derby way".

But with a tight budget, it will take time. Mel knew that when he gave PC a 4 year contract.

Cocu is absolutely the right man.

He needs a couple of transfer windows to shift the rest of the deadwood and bring in players to plug the gaps that cannot be fulfilled by academy graduates.

This new batch of academy graduates looks the most promising - probably ever in terms of numbers. But they need time, they need to gain experience, they need a chance to iron out the inconsistencies all young players have and time to improve their decision making. It's not going to happen overnight.

Like it or not, this really has to be a "transition season".

Let Cocu mould the team. Let the academy players learn their trade and become deserved first teamers.

I'd guess L***s and Fulham will be promoted automatically this season, then there are a lot of teams vying for the playoffs. I'd be surprised if we're one of them.

So, let's instead enjoy the development happening in front of our eyes. Those of you lucky enough to go to the games, enjoy the fun of going to a football match.

The future for our club hasn't been this bright for a long time.

Cocu and Mel are building something special.

Relax and believe.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree with what you have said @IslandExile.

However, with one or two of the usual exceptions, I  just see people posting about what they are seeing on the pitch in these first few games. I don’t think we're in meltdown at all.

It's ok to acknowledge and discuss both the positives and the shortcomings of performances whilst still remaining firmly behind the long term vision for the club, I think. 

Otherwise we'd have nothing to talk about other than Rooney's latest shenanigans! 

TBH its not like we have spent pittance and should expect midtable at best, we spent more money on Beilik than Norwich have spent  in the last 2 summers put together and they are looking to compete in the premier league, plus the signing of Rooney is a big signing even if we have to wait until January. I don't expect promotion though after the crap we saw Tuesday and Saturday for that matter as look where Stoke are in the league and we got a lucky draw against them. Saying that Cocu should be given some time if we are midtable to see out a season atleast, however if we were around the relegation zone come Halloween I would get rid as you have to act quickly sometimes to avoid further damage, not that I expect us to be that bad, 11th or 12th is around where I think we will be this season.

I’m thinking we all might get a very nice surprise on Saturday... but I always think that before kick off.

If it doesn’t happen on Saturday then it’ll happen at some point. I am certain the man has a plan and is going about it the right way. 

Hi @angieramI agree with you that we have to discuss things - that's what a forum is for after all. Perhaps, I exaggerated with "meltdown" but I do think some of the comments have been a bit over the top, the expectations for this season are too high and the personal attacks on certain players a little too much. Of course, criticism is fine and is constructive. We should discuss the positives and the negatives but also remember the long term vision and be excited by it.

Don't listen to the loudest people. Listen to the guys willing to listen and engage in conversation. 

Only feet stampers and dummy spitters are angry. They'll become 10ft tall and bulletproof when we win a few and you won't shut them up boasting. 

Cocu is a very calm and technical manager. I’m sure his team are a good mix. Some fans need to stop going on about things like “why isn’t Marriott starting” and implying that Cocu and his team are somehow sabotaging Derby. 

Listen to the reasons and accept them. He wants Marriott for the long term, not a few games and injured. 

Cocu wants a particular style that will require skilled players to receive the ball under pressure (from the opposition and the crowd) and play to a tempo too. Some of our players may not be able to technically do that or can’t play under pressure. It’s his and his team’s job to work out how to make the best of what we have until he can wheel and deal over the next season and a half. He has proved he is capable of doing that. It will take time and I understand the frustration at the match, however, I can’t think of a better alternative management team. Mel has done a cracking job of getting them in and also keeping the excitement going with the Rooney experiment!

11 hours ago, IslandExile said:

After the fun of the Lampard season, I dreaded who we might appoint. But Mel pulled off a major coup and I was elated when we appointed Cocu. We all were...well bar 3 out of 500(?), look back at the survey results.

The general consensus was that he was to be given time to build something sustainable and for the long term, utilizing the academy. Not least because we could not buy promotion like Wolves did and now Fulham are trying.

But, look what's happened, we've not played well against Stoke, made a couple of errors and so lost to a decent Bristol side and mayhem has ensued. The forum is in meltdown.

I understand the frustration. I'm getting old fer chrissekes. We all want to see Derby back in the top flight as soon as possible. But sheesh.

After a few poor appointments (Mac2, Clement, Pearson and Rowett - actually that's quite a lot), Mel has learnt the type of manager that can deliver the "Derby way".

But with a tight budget, it will take time. Mel knew that when he gave PC a 4 year contract.

He needs a couple of transfer windows to shift the rest of the deadwood and bring in players to plug the gaps that cannot be fulfilled by academy graduates.

This new batch of academy graduates looks the most promising - probably ever in terms of numbers. But they need time, they need to gain experience, they need a chance to iron out the inconsistencies all young players have and time to improve their decision making. It's not going to happen overnight.

Let Cocu mould the team. Let the academy players learn their trade and become deserved first teamers.

I'd guess L***s and Fulham will be promoted automatically this season, then there are a lot of teams vying for the playoffs. I'd be surprised if we're one of them.

So, let's instead enjoy the development happening in front of our eyes. Those of you lucky enough to go to the games, enjoy the fun of going to a football match.

Relax and believe.

But we have lost one of our 5 games...why all of this common sense and pragmatism????

We have this type of conversation almost every year, i said before, we could lose 2-1 to Juventus in the Champs league final and there are those on here and in the ground who will moan, point the finger, even boo. . . U just cant change a glass half empty type, ignore them and they will go elsewhere where they hope some kindred spirit will indulge them.

Personally i think yours and a few other respondees are bang on, give him time, we wanted this with Frank, lets give this very technical manager time, see his interview after Brissle? He wasnt happy lol, and new what was wrong and needed, no platitudes, no excuses, a straight talking,sees the problem man, who's my kind of manager.?

13 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Wonder if Cocu has any good ideas for Mel in the scouting arena as our mob seem to come up with some right old jollop ? 

That is and has been a major problem. I wonder just how many of the latest intake Cocu really approved of?

15 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Relax and believe.

Thank god a bit of perspective... we are all disappointed when we lose but some of the behaviour is a joke.

Although its like this at most clubs .. not just ours.

43 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

i think the % will build though if Zoon continues to be picked.

I’m sure he’ll listen to the fans and be thankful for it.

Cocu, who earned 100 caps for Holland and played for elite clubs like Barcelona, before winning 3 Eredivisie titles with PSV, must be thrilled to have a chance to learn about the game from such knowledge fans as ours.

We will shoot up the league once Cocu knows what we all know. He will eventually learn that:

- Marriott must start in every single match and compete 90 minutes, regardless of his own fitness

- Florian Jozefzoon is the worst Derby player of all time

- Jayden Mitchell-Lawson must be immediately be thrown into deep end because, apparently, absolutely anyone is better than the above

- ONLY PASS FORWARDS!

- He needs to do all of the above plus wave his arms around on the touch line to prove he cares 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Wonder if Cocu has any good ideas for Mel in the scouting arena as our mob seem to come up with some right old jollop ? 

Let’s hope that Rosenior can make a significant contribution in that area.With the amount of games he saw last year he must have some names for the frame!?

4 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I’m sure he’ll listen to the fans and be thankful for it.

Cocu, who earned 100 caps for Holland and played for elite clubs like Barcelona, before winning 3 Eredivisie titles with PSV, must be thrilled to have a chance to learn about the game from such knowledge fans as ours.

We will shoot up the league once Cocu knows what we all know. He will eventually learn that:

- Marriott must start in every single match and compete 90 minutes, regardless of his own fitness

- Florian Jozefzoon is the worst Derby player of all time

- Jayden Mitchell-Lawson must be immediately be thrown into deep end because, apparently, absolutely anyone is better than the above

- ONLY PASS FORWARDS!

- He needs to do all of the above plus wave his arms around on the touch line to prove he cares 

I bet you are shitty hot at football manager!

Archived