Cocu needs time to work his magic

B4ev6is

I know some fans were disheartened by last night performance I was little disappointed my self they started okay but even at 1-0 down I felt lads could pull this back when it was 2-0 I knew it would be montin to climb now. I was saying people around me this is not Derby I know and love. They need to come out fighting not roll over and give up.

And in 2nd half we did this but I felt zoon was wrong sub to make. I felt we sould have brought that young lad scored tuesday night on and Marriott should havr come on dead on at half time.

Once Marriott scored I felt come on now compelte come back now but it was not to be. But at least cocu learned we are better with two strikers than the one.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not exactly his fault that our defence acted braindead on two occasions and handed the match to Bristol gift wrapped with a bow on top. You can’t legislate for that as a manager, you’d expect professional footballers to have some level of concentration and communication with each other. Clearly such basic tasks were too complicated for our players which resulted in the game being dead by half time without Bristol lifting a finger. Shame because I think without that we’d have won that game, brizzle didn’t look up to a great deal- if they didn’t have the chance to sit 8 men behind the ball we’d have broke them down. But they had that chance down to pure idiocy from our players, and we got what we deserved for that embarrassing excuse for defending- sweet FA.

Think Cocu has learnt a lot about his players already and I think he’s desperate to swap things around but he’s been very limited in what he can do. He obviously wants to play Marriott but he’s not been able to yet- now he is, I expect him to start Saturday which should help us out. I also think he’s desperate to drop Malone but until bogles fit he really can’t. He’s also been handed a squad that doesn’t have anywhere near good enough attacking and creative quality to fight for promotion. He needs time yes, but to see us up he also needs a better squad- we can only offer him the former at the minute. Poor summer window has left cocu in a really tough situation with only a distinctly average squad at his disposal- he needs to work miracles as well as magic really. Let’s hope he can.

5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Not exactly his fault that our defence acted braindead on two occasions and handed the match to Bristol gift wrapped with a bow on top. You can’t legislate for that as a manager, you’d expect professional footballers to have some level of concentration and communication with each other. Clearly such basic tasks were too complicated for our players which resulted in the game being dead by half time without Bristol lifting a finger. Shame because I think without that we’d have won that game, brizzle didn’t look up to a great deal- if they didn’t have the chance to sit 8 men behind the ball we’d have broke them down. But they had that chance down to pure idiocy from our players, and we got what we deserved for that embarrassing excuse for defending- sweet FA.

Think Cocu has learnt a lot about his players already and I think he’s desperate to swap things around but he’s been very limited in what he can do. He obviously wants to play Marriott but he’s not been able to yet- now he is, I expect him to start Saturday which should help us out. I also think he’s desperate to drop Malone but until bogles fit he really can’t. He’s also been handed a squad that doesn’t have anywhere near good enough attacking and creative quality to fight for promotion. He needs time yes, but to see us up he also needs a better squad- we can only offer him the former at the minute. Poor summer window has left cocu in a really tough situation with only a distinctly average squad at his disposal- he needs to work miracles as well as magic really. Let’s hope he can.

Yes to most of that, let’s not forget the youngsters too. If Cocu is given time I truly think he will slowly integrate them into the squad. They will make mistakes too though, so I hope neither them or Cocu will be savaged by some impatient, want it all now fans.

There was a perfect example Saturday at Stoke, anyone there will recall we broke fast late in the second half, attacking the Derby supporting end and young Knight carried the ball forward. He had 2 options to the right and one left, but held on too long before being disposed playing the wrong ball. I turned to my mate and said that’s what can happen with inexperienced players. Bet he replayed that decision in his mind and I bet he’s had it pointed out to him. Nobody jeered because we all knew it and recognised it. That’s why I say, it was a perfect example of where our young talented players are at, they are learning on the job and will need time.

Theres a fair amount of developing talent already in our squad, I’m sure Cocu will bring them on but it won’t happen overnight.

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

Yes to most of that, let’s not forget the youngsters too. If Cocu is given time I truly think he will slowly integrate them into the squad. They will make mistakes too though, so I hope neither them or Cocu will be savaged by some impatient, want it all now fans.

There was a perfect example Saturday at Stoke, anyone there will recall we broke fast late in the second half, attacking the Derby supporting end and young Knight carried the ball forward. He had 2 options to the right and one left, but held on too long before being disposed playing the wrong ball. I turned to my mate and said that’s what can happen with inexperienced players. Bet he replayed that decision in his mind and I bet he’s had it pointed out to him. Nobody jeered because we all knew it and recognised it. That’s why I say, it was a perfect example of where our young talented players are at, they are learning on the job and will need time.

Theres a fair amount of developing talent already in our squad, I’m sure Cocu will bring them on but it won’t happen overnight.

It's a bit easier to be patient with the youngsters, though - especially if they are learning from their mistakes and improving. 

I don’t feel any loyalty  (or much enthusiam) to some of our new players yet. I'm looking for a new hero and am not sure where he will step up from. 

I'd love it to be a Knight or a Sibley but I am not sure how much actual game time these players will get. 

So I'm hoping it will be Bielik because at least he's young and he's now ours! 

I hope fans don't forget that when Cocu was appointed the talk was that this is a transitionary season where we're under FFP pressures and we've had to be smart with signings and play youth.

Top six isn't given, we're not owed that position. I'm more than happy to spend this year finishing mid-table developing our youth prospects and get them settled into a team and get everyone understanding Cocus philosophy fully. 

We need to be patient with Cocu, he will work out fantastic for us.

4 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Yep I think he will too, it’s certainly what he was brought in for in the long term- and we certainly have some serious talent to nurture from the talented under 18 squad last season. I said it before though, I fear we may be putting too much pressure too soon on youngsters coming through and making a big impact. Our most talented young players are still only 18/19, that’s very young in footballing terms. You wouldn’t expect at that age unless you really are something special to be playing regular football at a high level, as you still have a lot to learn about the game. As you say, it means they’re likely to make mistakes which is only natural as they haven’t played enough football to know what to do at certain times. Naturally you only learn by making those mistakes, so fans have to be patient, but I can’t help but worry that perhaps the youngsters would find it easier to bed themselves in if they didn’t have quite so much pressure on them because the first teamers ahead of them lack quality. Means they’re being relied on more than you’d ideally like, maybe playing too much before they’re ready/ can’t go out on loan spells. 

I just hope the extra pressure doesn’t weigh too hard on them and make them make more mistakes- we don’t want to wreck any of their confidence by rushing them to the first team too quickly because our summer recruitment was poor. 

32 minutes ago, Shang said:

I hope fans don't forget that when Cocu was appointed the talk was that this is a transitionary season where we're under FFP pressures and we've had to be smart with signings and play youth.

Top six isn't given, we're not owed that position. I'm more than happy to spend this year finishing mid-table developing our youth prospects and get them settled into a team and get everyone understanding Cocus philosophy fully. 

We need to be patient with Cocu, he will work out fantastic for us.

Agree with giving him time to make his mark. He definitely has pedigree in managing one of the top 3 biggest clubs in Holland.

In my opinion the £10m on Bielik and the Rooney announcement changed the landscape regarding the clubs expectations this season. 

Seen some suggestions on Twitter that we might be slowly transitiong into a 3-5-2, akin to the Jim Smith days. I wouldn't be against this, especially seeing as we seem to have a winger problem and full-backs who look better as wing-backs. Something like this?

- - - - - - - - - - Roos - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - Keogh - Bielik - Clarke- - - -

Jozefzoon - Evans - Shinnie - Malone

- - - - - - - - - Lawrence - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - Marriott - - - Waghorn - - - - 

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Seen some suggestions on Twitter that we might be slowly transitiong into a 3-5-2, akin to the Jim Smith days. I wouldn't be against this, especially seeing as we seem to have a winger problem and full-backs who look better as wing-backs. Something like this?

100% Lowe should start over Malone.

14 minutes ago, Shang said:

100% Lowe should start over Malone.

Agree.

Also (but less seriously), Keogh's popped up quite frequently on the right wing since we switched to 3 at the back; maybe while Bogle's injured we should put Lowe on the left and Keogh on the right, and bring Davies into the back 3? ? 

Cocu also need some luck with injuries and needs Waghorn to take his chances. We could easily had nine points had Waghorn scored the penalty against Swansea and taken a gilt edged chance against Stoke. It is a shame Butland turned up for our game but not last night for Preston!

I'm really not concerned at this stage.

Cocu is still getting his head round the division and his own team.

His track record is excellent and I'm confident he'll l turn it round.

My biggest concerns is not if he can do it, but if he'll be given the time.

We may be in for a  season of mediocrity and, as a few posts in here have already demonstrated,  that tests peoples patience - mine included.

If somebody can please remind me of this post when I'm whining about Cocu in February as we're scrapping around mid-table, that would be greatly appreciated

3 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Swap positions for Evans and Bielik, maybe someone else for Joze….otherwise looks ok......

Archived