Jump to content
RiddingsRam

v WBA (H) Match Thread

Recommended Posts

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

And what about goalkeepers, what are they paid for?

A striker should score in a one on one situation from 11 metres. The odds are against the goalkeeper except when Waghorn takes a penalty when the odds are currently 50/50. his technique is poor. His angled run up means that he can only hit the ball straight or to the gaolkeepers left. Running in at such an acute angle makes it very difficult to side foot it to the goalkeepers right.

Share this post


Link to post

Frustrating not to win. West Brom had a lot of the ball but didn’t have an awful lot of chances. If the second penalty goes in; 2-0 at half-time is hard to come back from. Penalties scored, two more wins and 10 points rather than 6, things look a lot healthier.

I think we’re going in the right direction though. Academy boys don’t look out of place, particularly Knight who I thought was brilliant.

Also special mentions to Bielik and to Marriott who played superbly for 75 minutes despite not apparently being fit to start.

Very tough start to the season, only one win but only one loss. Hopefully when the team gels a bit more and Cocu has more time, we can turn some of the draws into 3 points.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

But without him we don't even go ahead. 

A penalty is not a guaranteed thing. It's only something like 70% get scored. 

It's disappointing but I don't get singling out the only to actually impact the scoreline and when others missed good chances.

 

In Waghorn's case his record is 50%. He has cost is victories to date against Swansea, Stoke and West Brom.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Andicis said:

The man missed a ducking penalty, how can I not single that out? You don't get a better opportunity than that. He's missed 2, and an absolute sitter at Stoke. I'm pretty positive if you swap Marriott out for Waghorn in those situations, the start to the season is looking much more rosy. 

Or put Rooney in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Does that turn a good start into a meh start now 

I didn't see all the game , I work Saturdays, caught the last 15 minutes.  O.k. Waggy missed (I would rather think it was a decent stop by the Keeper ) I'm long enough in the tooth to remember other Penalty takers not scoring them , it happens ..get over it. 

All things considered we have come through a tough bunch of opening fixtures , let's see how the other would be challengers fare when they meet these same teams . I'd  say I'm happy enough with the start. We will get better, Jack will get his fitness,  Waggy will score the penalties. We will climb the table , Phillip says relax !!

Edited by Wignall12
Spell check 🤬

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Another two points down the drain there. Waghorn has cost us another home win arguably with another penalty miss. Sent the gift from the ref straight back to WBA. Can’t be throwing points away like that, it’ll cost us in the end. Can’t take the next pen now. 

Ref was utterly awful, luckily mainly in our favour though not entirely- there should’ve been more bookings for the WBA players. Dowell was utterly utterly utterly bank. If he starts next game I’m gonna ducking riot. Worst set piece taker I think I’ve seen at Derby. Over Waghorn and Marriott both looked good and worked hard other than the pen miss. Knight and Buchanan both looked pretty good, as did Lowe. Everyone else must do better.

Bit harsh on Waggy, he ran his nuts off today and scored the first penalty. The second penalty wasn't really a penalty but to be fair to waggy the keeper made a really good save (even though the keeper wasn't on his line when the penalty was taken).

Dowell was the worst culprit for me, he is bank and if he starts another game I will blow a gasket! Can't pass, can't take free kicks, lightweight...

Also the standard of refereeing was awful, why can the premier league have VAR and the Championship doesn't? If VAR is implemented, our second penalty is not given (to be fair It wasn't a penalty) but most importantly WBA penalty is not given and we go on to win the game 1-0.

Anyway positives were Knight (looked good, way better than Dowell), Buchanan got better as the game went on and Lowe (apart from the reckless slide in was good).

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, DanS1992 said:

Bit harsh on Waggy, he ran his nuts off today and scored the first penalty. The second penalty wasn't really a penalty but to be fair to waggy the keeper made a really good save (even though the keeper wasn't on his line when the penalty was taken).

Dowell was the worst culprit for me, he is bank and if he starts another game I will blow a gasket! Can't pass, can't take free kicks, lightweight...

Also the standard of refereeing was awful, why can the premier league have VAR and the Championship doesn't? If VAR is implemented, our second penalty is not given (to be fair It wasn't a penalty) but most importantly WBA penalty is not given and we go on to win the game 1-0.

Anyway positives were Knight (looked good, way better than Dowell), Buchanan got better as the game went on and Lowe (apart from the reckless slide in was good).

I mean you’ve basically said what I said after the highlighted part....

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Full time 1-1.

A tale of the referee giving three pens, two of which weren't. Sadly Waghorn missed again which cost the match. He's just being interviewed on Sky agreeing with this, but it's too late now. He should never have been taking that. What was everyone thinking? Cocu and Keogh's fault for not getting the ball off him. Waghorn's fault for not voluntarily relinquishing second-pen duties.

I don't understand.  Why shouldn't he take it?  He is the designated penalty taker and he's just scored the first penalty.  I can understand taking penalty duties off someone who has missed a penalty earlier in a game, but why someone who has scored?

What advantage did Johnstone really have facing Waghorn a second time in one game?  Presumably he had his homework done and knew Waghorn's preferred penalty before the game even started.  For either penalty, he didn't know whether Waghorn was going to use his favoured kick or not, so nothing has really changed.

It's a suggestion you hear a lot, that penalty takers should be rotated in a game if there is more than one penalty given, but I'd like to see if the stats back it up.  Do players who score one penalty in a game suffer a reduction is success rate when taking a second penalty in the same match?  If they do, I'd like to know why.

Share this post


Link to post

I was going to post that Waghorn.has now cost us six points, but he said it himself on Sky. We would be top of the league at this.point and have taken three points off two.main rivals. Draw a fair result. Their own was not a pen as was our second pen. Would I take the penalties.off Waghorn. Yes I would.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Highgate said:

I don't understand.  Why shouldn't he take it?  He is the designated penalty taker and he's just scored the first penalty.  I can understand taking penalty duties off someone who has missed a penalty earlier in a game, but why someone who has scored?

What advantage did Johnstone really have facing Waghorn a second time in one game?  Presumably he had his homework done and knew Waghorn's preferred penalty before the game even started.  For either penalty, he didn't know whether Waghorn was going to use his favoured kick or not, so nothing has really changed.

It's a suggestion you hear a lot, that penalty takers should be rotated in a game if there is more than one penalty given, but I'd like to see if the stats back it up.  Do players who score one penalty in a game suffer a reduction is success rate when taking a second penalty in the same match?  If they do, I'd like to know why.

Why shouldn't he take it? because his penalty technique is poor. That's why.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Highgate said:

He is the designated penalty taker

We're in trouble then. He shouldn't be taking them, purely because he isn't good at them. All 4 of his penalties this season have been bad. He got lucky for 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Is Holmes going to be fit for Tuesday? If possible, Holmes for Dowell would be the one change I would make from today going into it.

But haven’t you just said above swop Waghorn for Marriott and it’ll be much rosier? 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Mafiabob said:

But haven’t you just said above swop Waghorn for Marriott and it’ll be much rosier? 

No, you didn't read my post properly clearly. I said, swap Marriott and Waghorn for the chances and it'd look rosier, which I'm sure it would. Marriott started today did he not? I don't think Waghorn is a bad player, I just don't think he's been playing well, but we don't have many better alternatives.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

We're in trouble then. He shouldn't be taking them, purely because he isn't good at them. All 4 of his penalties this season have been bad. He got lucky for 2. 

Yeah, his penalty taking has obviously been poor this season so far.  How many did he take/score last year?   I guess the designated penalty taker for any team should be a role that's always under review. 

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

A striker should score in a one on one situation from 11 metres. The odds are against the goalkeeper except when Waghorn takes a penalty when the odds are currently 50/50. his technique is poor. His angled run up means that he can only hit the ball straight or to the gaolkeepers left. Running in at such an acute angle makes it very difficult to side foot it to the goalkeepers right.

That's funny because his first penalty went to the goalkeepers right

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Can’t complain as that was a very entertaining, full-blooded game of Championship football. Huddlestone, Lawrence, Waghorn and, up until the penalty, Lowe, all stood out to me. Knight slotted in very nicely. Onto Forest.

Please can you give this phone back to the lad you’ve nicked it from please.

He’ll be in trap 2,I should knock before you go in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Keepers shouldn't really get the chance to save a penalty if the attacker is good at them. Watch Kane for example, high into the top corner every single time, keeper doesn't even get close to it. 

And that's why Kane is a Premier League and international striker probably

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.