v WBA (H) Match Thread

RiddingsRam

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Weren't we in for their Grady thingamabob in the summer who came on at half time and played on their left wing? Seemed a thousand times better than what we had on the pitch 

Yep, and the chances of us getting him ahead of Slaven Bilic & Julian Dicks West Brom were sadly zero.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lawrence and Dowell are crap. At least with Dowell you can give him the excuse  that he’s young though whereas Lawrence is going to be 26 in January and he still players like a teenager. Laughable that this guy is supposed to be one of the main men on this team, attack after attack breaks down when he has the ball because either he tries to shoot from a ridiculous angle or has rubbish control- he’s making me physically angry watching him.

On a more positive note though, Lowe was excellent. Unfortunate with the penalty but he made a stupid dive so West Brom probably deserved that just for his naivety by diving. His overall game was very pleasing to see, loved his cheeky nutmeg in the first half.

And breathe

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It's a penalty. As a striker, you have to score them. I can pin it on him, because it's becoming a frequent occurrence, him missing glorious opportunities. He wasn't the only one, but he's a striker. 

But without him we don't go in front. We had chances of arguably equivalent quality that we missed (Bennett's for example). 

He isn't the sole reason we only come away with a point and blaming him solely for not taking chances is disingenuous.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Another two points down the drain there. Waghorn has cost us another home win arguably with another penalty miss. Sent the gift from the ref straight back to WBA. Can’t be throwing points away like that, it’ll cost us in the end. Can’t take the next pen now. 

Ref was utterly awful, luckily mainly in our favour though not entirely- there should’ve been more bookings for the WBA players. Dowell was utterly utterly utterly bank. If he starts next game I’m gonna ducking riot. Worst set piece taker I think I’ve seen at Derby. Over Waghorn and Marriott both looked good and worked hard other than the pen miss. Knight and Buchanan both looked pretty good, as did Lowe. Everyone else must do better.

Apart from diving in and giving the already proven dodgy referee the opportunity to award a penalty to even things up 

14 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

That's unfair. He makes the first penalty and scores it to get us in the lead. 

Other players had chances and didn't take them. And the referee decided a blatant dive was a penalty. 

Do you think Harry Wilson would have missed? 

4 points he has cost us this season we could be joint top if he could score from 12 yards.

Just now, brady1993 said:

But without him we don't go in front. We had chances of arguably equivalent quality that we missed (Bennett's for example). 

He isn't the sole reason we only come away with a point and blaming him solely for not taking chances is disingenuous.

You can't keep using that to defend him. He had an alright run, but it wasn't even a good penalty for the first one, he got lucky. If Johnstone goes the right way, he saves that too. Waghorn must be taken off penalties. Did you read my post at all? I didn't solely blame Waghorn, and so trying to pin me to the statement is nonsensical. 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Apart from diving in and giving the already proven dodgy referee the opportunity to award a penalty to even things up 

He isn't going to tackle though, he's going to block a cross knowing he's covered if the player cuts back. 

It's as blatant as a dive as you get.

Full time 1-1.

A tale of the referee giving three pens, two of which weren't. Sadly Waghorn missed again which cost the match. He's just being interviewed on Sky agreeing with this, but it's too late now. He should never have been taking that. What was everyone thinking? Cocu and Keogh's fault for not getting the ball off him. Waghorn's fault for not voluntarily relinquishing second-pen duties.

If the ref gives a team two penalties he is always looking for an excuse to give the opposition a pen so Lowe shouldn't have dived in. But he never touched the guy and Lowe was one of standout players. Getting the Sky MotM.

Good full league debuts for Buchanan and Knight. Felt Buchanan grew into the game and had a better second half, including a superb clearance over the bar at the death (ref gave us a goalkick leading to Bilic's second yellow). Knight did the simple things well and kept going, linking but was unspectacular except for a superb defensive tackle on the edge of our box. 

Good performance from Roos who made two excellent first-half saves with his feet and one in the second with his hands. Very good with his feet. I never feel he's going to save a penalty despite his size. Has he ever gone the right way? 

Huddlestone much better, but still oh so slow and too often backwards. Dowell started OK and was decent in the first half but got worse as the game went on. All his second half set pieces were woeful. Brilliant to see Marriott back in the starting lineup. But he was normally playing too deep and having to knit all the forward play together. He put the ball on a plate for Lawrence in the first half but for some reason Tom didn't pull the trigger. Without Jack in the box, you could see what we miss when a sitter fell to Bennett just after the West Brom goal, but Mason who's not a very good finisher blazed wide. Bielik and Keogh good. Lawrence tried but it didn't quite work for him.

Really disappointing not to close out the game. We're treading water until Holmes and then Rooney arrive into the first team, but by then everyone will be out of sight. We need to be way, way more clinical now and use our football brains to start winning matches. A complete lack of football intelligence cost us two points today when the ref handed us the game on a plate.

2 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Yep, and the chances of us getting him ahead of Slaven Bilic & Julian Dicks West Brom were sadly zero.

Thought so just sour grapes I guess. We faffed around the summer trying to get a winger in and landed up on Paterson whom Im not convinced by but hey ho

12 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Both teams got a penno neither of which was one in the history of mankind - they scored, we didn't, 2 points spaffed.

Chris Martin got sent-off at Burnley for slipping like that in the penalty area!

Difference is WBA cheated for theirs....ours was a bad decision from the ref.

9 minutes ago, 48 hours said:

Really brave decisions by Cocu for this game.

Considering we started with 3 academy lads, that is a big step in the right direction IMO 

Be interesting to see team for Tuesday, the futures bright.

Agreed. Malone has been replaced by an academy centre half! That send a message!

2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

He isn't going to tackle though, he's going to block a cross knowing he's covered if the player cuts back. 

It's as blatant as a dive as you get.

He jumped in and encouraged the already patently dodgy ref to even things up.

Referee should never had been given the opportunity to make another atrocious call

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

And what about goalkeepers, what are they paid for?

Keepers shouldn't really get the chance to save a penalty if the attacker is good at them. Watch Kane for example, high into the top corner every single time, keeper doesn't even get close to it. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

You can't keep using that to defend him. He had an alright run, but it wasn't even a good penalty for the first one, he got lucky. If Johnstone goes the right way, he saves that too. Waghorn must be taken off penalties. Did you read my post at all? I didn't solely blame Waghorn, and so trying to pin me to the statement is nonsensical. 

My point is you argue that he's cost us the game by missing a chance. I think at Swansea that's fair but here... it just seems harsh to single him out.

Just now, brady1993 said:

My point is you argue that he's cost us the game by missing a chance. I think at Swansea that's fair but here... it just seems harsh to single him out.

The man missed a ducking penalty, how can I not single that out? You don't get a better opportunity than that. He's missed 2, and an absolute sitter at Stoke. I'm pretty positive if you swap Marriott out for Waghorn in those situations, the start to the season is looking much more rosy. 

Archived