Positives

Dcfcsr92

12 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Presumably people have been able to sneak in their Werther's Originals. That's a plus ? after the preseason scares.

Yep .. I snuck in a bottle of water and, critically, the screw top as well. Phew .. was sweating a bit when Doris gave me a look. Thankfully the guards on the machine gun nest were were having a fag so I made it to the other side and bought a new reduced size bag of minstrels inside, to support my local team and assuage my guilt. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Anon said:

Why isn't Tom Huddlestone afforded the same leniency by most on here regarding static players in front of him? Huddlestone has been rightly criticised for his performance tonight, but in the first half there was little difference between his and Bielik's contributions. They were both ponderous on the ball, they both misplaced passes and turned over possession, they were both bullied by the little lad with the ginger mop top.

Bielik was much, much better after the break, but I'm not going to lie to myself about his first half performance just because of his price tag.

Neither Tom or Bielik played horrendously badly. Truth is the Bristol midfielders were way more aggressive and we/they didn’t respond to that until the second half. Bielik did look better at CB but reckon he is still learning about his team mates in the midfield role. Toms passing is still good and he is composed but against quick opposition his reaction time to a lose ball is exposed way too much. And both of them were too close to each other which gave the Brizzle boys all the more room. 

Not the end of the world. Cut out the errors and we will be fine.

Looking forward to the likes of Marriott and Holmes coming into the team. Also we actually look okay with 3 at the back.

Bielik is a good player Keogh looked great too.

Very early days yet its going to take a while for cocu to get sorted he really hasnt had that much time to get everything sorted. 

28 minutes ago, jono said:

Neither Tom or Bielik played horrendously badly. Truth is the Bristol midfielders were way more aggressive and we/they didn’t respond to that until the second half. Bielik did look better at CB but reckon he is still learning about his team mates in the midfield role. Toms passing is still good and he is composed but against quick opposition his reaction time to a lose ball is exposed way too much. And both of them were too close to each other which gave the Brizzle boys all the more room. 

I agree that Bielik will improve quickly with more time with the squad and when played in a formation where he and Tom aren't on top of one another. Huddlestone's passing is good, but the lack of versatility of that passing is really starting to frustrate me. Huddlestone can land a wide ball that spreads the play exactly on the receiver's toe 99 times out 100, but when asked to provide that defence splitting killer ball on the edge of the area he's woefully short of ideas. If I see him lazily chip the ball onto a centre back's head one more time I will explode.

Cocu’s post match interview,first time I’ve seen him look cheesed off,he actually looked a bit scary.

His use of the word ‘unacceptable’,I don’t think he’ll shy away from upsetting people if necessary.

He had an air of Inspector Dreyfus about him.

If we lose to West Brom I imagine the eye will start to twitch.

Biggest positive for me is a manager who is actually changing things mid game to try and affect it. At half time last night we looked much better after changing formation, I just worry we don't have enough creativity in the final third. There's nothing Cocu can do without a couple more transfer windows.

Bennett works hard but not enough end product, jozefzoon looks like something bad happened to him when he was young when he tried to take on a player and now has PTSD and flash backs every time he runs at a man (explains why he turns away every time). Lawrence is amazing one game and then bit meh next 3 or 4 and Dowell shows glimpses but lacks conviction at the moment. We looked much stronger in the second half and if it wasn't for two poor goals, we could of got something more. 

Cocu is clearly demonstrating to me that he is an astute tactician, he just hasn't managed to get the most from what he has so far and I think most of us are struggling to pick a front 4 that has so far looked in tune with one another. 

Judging by the post match interview, Cocu is well aware that Marriott is the best striker at the club and he will start matches as soon as he is 100% fit.

Bogle and Holmes returning from injury will add a lot to the team.  They are bright and creative in possession.

I think Keogh and Clarke will prove to be a decent CB pairing.  Mistakes will be made of course...but that's true of all Championship centre backs.

Bielik looks like he might prove to be a very good signing. 

In all honestly I think Cocu has only a very average squad (by championship standards) at his disposal at the moment.  If we are in touch of the top 6 come January I'll be delighted.  With Rooney arriving and hopefully another decent signing, we would still be in a great position to make a strong promotion push in the second half of the season. 

Despite Marriott's goal, which was very good, Bennett was actually our most productive player. Nearly scored after being put through by Huddlestone, but denied by a god tackle and delivered a wicked cross that Lawrence forced a wonderful save from the goalie from. 

Think it was harsh for him to be substituted in favour of Lawrence. 

17 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Despite Marriott's goal, which was very good, Bennett was actually our most productive player. Nearly scored after being put through by Huddlestone, but denied by a god tackle and delivered a wicked cross that Lawrence forced a wonderful save from the goalie from. 

Think it was harsh for him to be substituted in favour of Lawrence. 

Quite right whenever starts he always seems to create one very good chance for someone 

8 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I said a few days ago I was going to shed my negativity and become a happy clapper as far as the team goes. So!

Grass was a nice shade of green, sprinklers made pretty rainbows in the lights, shirts maintained their whiteness throughout the match. 

Lawrence's shirt in particular looked pristine as he raced off the pitch at the end - too easy, I know

8 hours ago, Ramos said:

Biggest positive for me is a manager who is actually changing things mid game to try and affect it. At half time last night we looked much better after changing formation, I just worry we don't have enough creativity in the final third. There's nothing Cocu can do without a couple more transfer windows.

Bennett works hard but not enough end product, jozefzoon looks like something bad happened to him when he was young when he tried to take on a player and now has PTSD and flash backs every time he runs at a man (explains why he turns away every time). Lawrence is amazing one game and then bit meh next 3 or 4 and Dowell shows glimpses but lacks conviction at the moment. We looked much stronger in the second half and if it wasn't for two poor goals, we could of got something more. 

Cocu is clearly demonstrating to me that he is an astute tactician, he just hasn't managed to get the most from what he has so far and I think most of us are struggling to pick a front 4 that has so far looked in tune with one another. 

100 % agree. Main positives for me are we have a manager who’s definitely better than what we had 24 months ago and dare I say 12 months ago tactic wise. 

4-3-3 would work if he will just play the best players. I genuinely fear his defensive approach will lead to a tide turning if results are not achieved.

We need Bogle back desperately. 

We need Marriott in the team desperately.

We need Holmes in the team ASAP.

We need Flojo out the team.

positives..

we have three young players in our back 5 that could be at the heart of what we do for years in Bogle, Lowe and Bielik. 

Marriott is a 20 goal a season striker. 

We have some great young players in the under 23 on the fringe of the first team who might break through this year or next - Knight, Bird, JML, Buchanan. 

Rooney will distract us from our January disaster movie obsession. 

The amount of players we’ve offloaded (and the ground) means we don’t need to worry about FFP, though I have to admit it wasn’t keeping me awake at night.

We have an owner who loves the club. 

Archived