I would drive dowell back up to Everton myself!

DanS1992

11 minutes ago, Curtains said:

That is just totally wrong. 

Dowell is better than both of them. 

Plus Sibley has never played first team Football yet and needs to improve no end and watch his temperament.

Bennett is not a midfielder so how can you compare the two. 

Cocu has played Bennett there. Sibley looks like the real deal atm, Dowell doesn't. 

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Cocu has played Bennett there. Sibley looks like the real deal atm, Dowell doesn't. 

Sorry we will have to disagree on this .

I like Dowell. 

I like Sibley but he’s still raw and temperamental with his tackling .

Bennett is no way a midfielder 

12 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Way over the top. His biggest crime is not being Mason Mount. Just look at what Mount is already doing in the PL, he was far too good for this division, yet there were plenty criticising him at points last year...which is laughable.

if people’s expectation of Dowell is to replace and be as good as Mount, the lad has got no chance.

I don't think that's a fair comment at all. His biggest crime is how slow he moves the ball on, meaning we lose a lot of the tempo. I don't think people are being harsh because he isn't Mason Mount, I think people are well aware that nobody we could have brought in would have been that level, but Dowell's performances haven't been very good at all, if we're honest.

7 hours ago, Andicis said:

I don't think that's a fair comment at all. His biggest crime is how slow he moves the ball on, meaning we lose a lot of the tempo. I don't think people are being harsh because he isn't Mason Mount, I think people are well aware that nobody we could have brought in would have been that level, but Dowell's performances haven't been very good at all, if we're honest.

Spot on. I expect a professional footballer to be able to control the ball, take some decent free kicks/corners and make basic passes, something he hasn't been doing so no, I don't think he's done well (yet) at all.

8 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

I’d rather play Knight & Sibley myself, but thanks for proving my point that the criticism is way OTT

Why is it criticism to say that Bennett (atm) looks better than Dowell. Tell me what Dowell has shown since he's been here? I've not seen him play before so I would like to be told what he's done that is so much better than what we already have.

On 24/08/2019 at 18:38, DanS1992 said:

Statistics don't tell the whole story. Indeed, on average (based on the games he has played so far) Dowell had roughly 78% pass completion rate (not exactly amazing), however how many of his passes actually created something? Most of them were backwards and short, quite hard to mess that up. That is why he has made on average only 1.7 key passes (not chances created) per game, hardly enough for the player who is meant to be our creative element in midfield (this is all from whoscored). Anyway we can all blab on about statistics all day and not get anywhere, however to suggest someone is arrogant because as you said "suggest the statistics are wrong" is absurd and quite naive on your part. Statistics only tell half the story, just for example, because someone completed X amount of passes doesn't mean he was good, especially is a majority of the said passes were backwards and did not result in a chance created. 

Writing off statistics is arrogant. We are emotionally invested in football matches. The stats are not. They’re not the be all and end all and they don’t tell the whole story but they’re never normally far off. 

I’ve sat as a fan at a Derby match, next to a scout who is objective and discusses performances with him at half time. I am way way more critical than he is and that’s because I’m a fan. 

29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why is it criticism to say that Bennett (atm) looks better than Dowell. Tell me what Dowell has shown since he's been here? I've not seen him play before so I would like to be told what he's done that is so much better than what we already have.

So actually watch the 1st goal against Stoke. 

2 minutes ago, Shaftesbury Street said:

Not jumping on any scapegoat, but he doesn't warrant keeping his place atm, that's three poor performances in a row. He could come good, but atm I'd prefer a Sibley or Holmes in that position. 

Or if he's playing the number 10 - stick Lawrence there instead.

This Sibley thing makes me laugh .

Lets play the U23 side all at once 

Knight , Sibley , Buchanan, Lowe , Etc etc 

PS Don’t people get on Lawrence back also. 

I’m an optimistic soul and have a foot in the ‘happy clapper’ camp.

However, having watched the game (on TV) last Saturday, I thought Dowell was very poor.

He just couldn’t seem to judge the weight of the ball properly, under hitting passes and then over hitting others; the through-ball to Lawrence that ran out of play when we were in a very dangerous position in the opposition box being the most frustrating example of an overhit pass.

I also thought his set pieces were woeful.

I’m sure there is a player there somewhere (But what do I know, I said this about Blackman!), but he’s going to have to find some form soon or potentially face the chop.

1 minute ago, Birdyabroad said:

I’m an optimistic soul and have a foot in the ‘happy clapper’ camp.

However, having watched the game (on TV) last Saturday, I thought Dowell was very poor.

He just couldn’t seem to judge the weight of the ball properly, under hitting passes and then over hitting others; the through-ball to Lawrence that ran out of play when we were in a very dangerous position in the opposition box being the most frustrating example of an overhit pass.

I also thought his set pieces were woeful.

I’m sure there is a player there somewhere (But what do I know, I said this about Blackman!), but he’s going to have to find some form soon or potentially face the chop.

All players need to find form I just think 5 games in is a bit early to drive Dowell back to Everton 

Archived