Tonight's moan in

ilkleyram

1 hour ago, Orphanram said:

I get where the OP is coming from in regards to Eric Steele as when I’ve heard him he is very good. However if Eric Steele was on every week and forming and describing views developed more consistently over a period of time it would inevitably lead to someone creating an article on here saying Eric Steele doesn’t know what he’s on about, his voice is annoying, all he goes on about is him and Steve Mc blah blah blah. I agree with the sentiments about people not getting to hung up about what is in reality a pretty good service provided by local radio. The more thoughtful, strokey beard type of football fan that are more likely to frequent fans forums also expect a higher brow of broadcasting standards, which is fair enough. Realistically though that is unlikey to ever be produced on a consistent basis on local radio. The Ramage bashing is what I’m against most. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting he is brilliant at what he does but sometimes I find their is a underlying intellectual snobbery trying to do him down. It has a bit of a - we the book reading, real ale drinking, armchair/keyboard football theorists sneering at lager drinking, local thick lad lucky to have made it as a footballer vibe going on about it. 

I don't have a beard to stroke, nor do I drink real ale or theorise about football on fan forums (read my posts for confirmation of that if you would like a good nights sleep), my family would collapse in laughter at the thought of anyone describing me as an intellectual and I've never before been accused of being a snob.  Otherwise Orphanram, your description of me is pretty nailed on. I do read books.

Those defending Ramage on Radio Derby, have all used similar expressions - "I'm not suggesting he's brilliant at what he does....."; he's a Derby lad; he has passion; he's not very eloquent.   I've no idea whether he's thick or not as you suggest.  

I'm a Derby lad too. I have also lived and worked for some years in Watford. I'm passionate about our team. That doesn't make me a candidate for the role of football pundit and analyst on Radio Derby. I would have thought that eloquence is pretty high up on the list of qualities on the job spec for such a role (if it's not it should be) and I just think that Radio Derby can do better or should help him to do better.  Chris Coles was better last night; Ed Dawes might be better too without Ramage's natural approach to broadcasting. What's wrong with wanting 'brilliant'?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This gets me every time!

People should be grateful for what they've got, and whilst there's always room for improvement, be careful what you wish for. 

I recommend listening to some of the other local coverage around the country, it's abysmal.

We have been blessed at Derby to have really good presenters and summarisers, and there will always be those you prefer. I used to love Ian Hall and thought his analysis was brilliant, and given the time he'd been out of the game, his insight was spot on and it was very hard to find any mistake he made. As a double act, his knowledge covered Graham Richards bluster and eccentricity, but I can recall listeners criticising him!

I remember Ted McMinn and Ross Fletcher, which, knowing Ted, I couldn't believe he never swore on air!!! Ross was a great professional.

Colin Bloomfield was almost bullied, criticised for his "camp" voice live on radio! Think he worked with both Dean Sturridge and Gary Rowett. Studge was slated for being negative, even though we were dismal as a team.

Roger Davies was the one I didn't want to listen to, as he said one thing on the radio and a different thing in private (off-air) which made me feel he was highly disingenuous!

As for Ramage, I think he's great. His vocabulary is limited, but that isn't enough to hang him! He describes what he sees pretty well IMO and he is honest and will say what he thinks. It annoys me that it's not what I want to hear, but that's because I want Derby County to be better than what we are and have been. Dawes in my opinion is the one that might need to raise his professionalism. Whilst I think the ploy is to be "lads" and relate to the lads that are listening, sometimes it's a bit churlish and not funny, others it does make me laugh. IN commentary and punditry terms, the current set up is very good. 

I find it amusing though that people are held by different standards. "I'm allowed to be negative and call Derby rubbish, but you're not!"

I have to confess that I very rarely listen to Radio Derby (nothing to do with the quality, more to do with the fact that, if I'm not at the game it is usually because I am too busy to be tuned into the wireless).

But, I take @Mostyn6's point - the quality may be found wanting at times and we can all pick fault with it. But what is it that they say about familiarity breeding contempt? (Well, they say precisely that, as it happens).

I remember watching a fly on the wall documentary detailing Reading's most recent Premier League season (under Brian McDermott and then Nigel Adkins - the fact that you can't remember them being there tells you all that you need to know). But throughout the documentary, the match footage was regularly commentated on by BBC Radio Berkshire. As was the after match analysis and the pre-match insight and the like.

All I'll say is that if you think Radio Derby and Ramage are bad, then you ain't heard nothing. The guy from BBC Radio Berkshire really did put the 'berk' in Berkshire. It was hideously, cringeworthingly bad and he gave the distinct impression that, not only did he know nothing about football, but that he actually doesn't even like football - I could imagine him being the kind of bloke that I'd be introduced to and then sit in silence next to after asking him who he supports, only for him to say, 'I'm more of a rugger fan, to be honest'.

Anyway, we could have it worse. That's my point.

I think Ramage is ok during a game but if he could be joined by another former player for the post match section of the programme it would be an improvement.

It would also improve things if they didn't read texts or tweets. Especially from idiots. Just have callers. 

3 minutes ago, sage said:

I think Ramage is ok during a game but if he could be joined by another former player for the post match section of the programme it would be an improvement.

It would also improve things if they didn't read texts or tweets. Especially from idiots. Just have callers. 

Because, of course, none of the callers are idiots, are they? ?

I've often believed (contrary to the entire purpose of this forum) that the world would be a much simpler place were it not for involvement from the general public who, more often than not, are idiots. Present company very much included ?

21 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

Because, of course, none of the callers are idiots, are they? ?

I've often believed (contrary to the entire purpose of this forum) that the world would be a much simpler place were it not for involvement from the general public who, more often than not, are idiots. Present company very much included ?

I wouldn't disagree. I would prefer to hear Eric Steele or Roy Mac or even Gary Rowett give their opinion than Reg from Spondon.

I just think they know these tweets and texts are poo before they read them out. At least there is a chance the caller might be sane.

33 minutes ago, sage said:

I wouldn't disagree. I would prefer to hear Eric Steele or Roy Mac or even Gary Rowett give their opinion than Reg from Spondon.

I just think they know these tweets and texts are poo before they read them out. At least there is a chance the caller might be sane.

Oh, what high standards we aspire to, eh Sage?

6 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

I don't have a beard to stroke, nor do I drink real ale or theorise about football on fan forums (read my posts for confirmation of that if you would like a good nights sleep), my family would collapse in laughter at the thought of anyone describing me as an intellectual and I've never before been accused of being a snob.  Otherwise Orphanram, your description of me is pretty nailed on. I do read books.

Those defending Ramage on Radio Derby, have all used similar expressions - "I'm not suggesting he's brilliant at what he does....."; he's a Derby lad; he has passion; he's not very eloquent.   I've no idea whether he's thick or not as you suggest.  

I'm a Derby lad too. I have also lived and worked for some years in Watford. I'm passionate about our team. That doesn't make me a candidate for the role of football pundit and analyst on Radio Derby. I would have thought that eloquence is pretty high up on the list of qualities on the job spec for such a role (if it's not it should be) and I just think that Radio Derby can do better or should help him to do better.  Chris Coles was better last night; Ed Dawes might be better too without Ramage's natural approach to broadcasting. What's wrong with wanting 'brilliant'?

I wasn’t singling you or anybody else out and I didn’t exclude myself from the generalised view I gave of a forum poster (perhaps you’ve taken the beard stroking comment more literally than intended). It was more of a general observation of this thread and numerous others over the years that take a similar view of whoever the incumbent RD broadcasters are. Anyway it’s easy enough to start a podcast these days so perhaps there is room for someone to corner the market with a Radio 4 style rams review. I’m glad you read books.

Archived