Tonight's moan in

ilkleyram

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Adding to the Eric Steele love in.

Didn't he stay when Mac was sacked and then Clement wanted his own people?

I reckon he's one of those football men you play for/used to play for that you just want to please. One that if he shakes his head in disappointment at you it hurts more than some coach screaming at you. 

Proper bloke is Eric. Bet he makes a good cuppa, his garden will look spot on, washes his own car and his wife struggles to find him jobs to do 'round the house. 

You'd not catch Eric with his crisps in the fridge, that for sure.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I love Ramage, I think he's a nice guy, down to earth and is more relatable than Ed Dawes. Yes he struggles to get his point out eloquently  but the passions there and he wants us to do well as a football club so i can forgive negativity when it stems from concern.

Sometimes I think he's a good contrast to Ed when he's parroting on about a train in the distance or being snarky to him. He sounds like a straight up honest bloke who used to play for us and that draws in the listeners, needs to be a good mix. 

32 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Personally, I love Ramage, I think he's a nice guy, down to earth and is more relatable than Ed Dawes. Yes he struggles to get his point out eloquently  but the passions there and he wants us to do well as a football club so i can forgive negativity when it stems from concern.

Sometimes I think he's a good contrast to Ed when he's parroting on about a train in the distance or being snarky to him. He sounds like a straight up honest bloke who used to play for us and that draws in the listeners, needs to be a good mix. 

You are Craig Rammage and I claim my five pounds.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

You are Craig Rammage and I claim my five pounds.

I'd be a hell of a lot better off if i was ?

45 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Did Eric Steele give his view on our current goalkeeping situation - his opinion would be worth listening to?

Yes he did. Said roos needs to be more confident in the box and take pressure off the centre backs by being more commanding. Maybe bulk up too and be stronger like he did with David Degea at MU. Took 6 months of personal training to make him stronger. 

Tbh all due respect to Craig Ramage, I genuinely think you could pull someone off here and they’d probably do a better job at whatever on earth Craig is meant to be doing than him. There’s a fair few that I’m pretty certain have a far greater footballing knowledge despite never playing the game professionally as well. 

Imo however, the bigger problem with radio Derby is Ed Dawes. Ramage is clueless and getting someone in with better analysis than him would certainly improve things, but the way he bumbles about at least gives some entertainment and you can see his passion which counts for something. Ed Dawes however is relentlessly negative (and this is coming from me) and strikes me as thinking his view on things is better than anyone else’s- when often he seems to be watching a very different game to the rest of us in reality. Seems to watch the game through the opposite of rose tinted glasses, finds a negative out of everything.

The combo of the two of them together makes radio Derby almost unlistenable at times- they bounce off each other’s moaning. It’s a shame really but it’s fast becoming better to just read the BBC commentary rather than listening and that’s quite sad with all the years of radio Derby- something needs doing imo.

Yeah like others I can’t stand Radio Derby any more. Dawes moaning about officiating and the team and failing to describe the action combined with Rammage tripping over himself to make contradictory simplistic statements based entirely on his own experiences in the game, offering no insight into the league or modern football. Can’t stand it.

It’s a real shame because it used to be, and should be, a real lifeline to Derby fans who can’t be there or can’t see what’s happening.

9 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

Wasn’t it Eric Steele that recommended Roos in the first place? I’m sure he was going he GK coach when we first bought him in...

He was and spoke highly of him at the time

Back to the Radio debate a awful lot of people like the commentary team personally I think Bloomfield and Fletcher were better and of course Richards was a legend.

They are one and of the better commentary teams on local Radio around the country some are so biased it is unbelievable.

Bloody hell, talk about a first world problem! I love Craig Ramage; yes he is excitable and yes his analysis is a bit rough round the edges but so what? He’s a local lad who lived the dream and played for the Rams so you get an honest opinion warts and all. I’d rather that than listen to some relentlessly anodyne ‘Rams TV’ type crap. 

If you don’t like it, don’t listen. 

Sounds to me from most of these posts that Dawes is the real 'problem'. Can't stand his commentary tbh, you can never be sure exactly what is happening even when we're attacking. He's even more hysterical when the opposition attack it seems.

I get where the OP is coming from in regards to Eric Steele as when I’ve heard him he is very good. However if Eric Steele was on every week and forming and describing views developed more consistently over a period of time it would inevitably lead to someone creating an article on here saying Eric Steele doesn’t know what he’s on about, his voice is annoying, all he goes on about is him and Steve Mc blah blah blah. I agree with the sentiments about people not getting to hung up about what is in reality a pretty good service provided by local radio. The more thoughtful, strokey beard type of football fan that are more likely to frequent fans forums also expect a higher brow of broadcasting standards, which is fair enough. Realistically though that is unlikey to ever be produced on a consistent basis on local radio. The Ramage bashing is what I’m against most. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting he is brilliant at what he does but sometimes I find their is a underlying intellectual snobbery trying to do him down. It has a bit of a - we the book reading, real ale drinking, armchair/keyboard football theorists sneering at lager drinking, local thick lad lucky to have made it as a footballer vibe going on about it. 

44 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

I get where the OP is coming from in regards to Eric Steele as when I’ve heard him he is very good. However if Eric Steele was on every week and forming and describing views developed more consistently over a period of time it would inevitably lead to someone creating an article on here saying Eric Steele doesn’t know what he’s on about, his voice is annoying, all he goes on about is him and Steve Mc blah blah blah. I agree with the sentiments about people not getting to hung up about what is in reality a pretty good service provided by local radio. The more thoughtful, strokey beard type of football fan that are more likely to frequent fans forums also expect a higher brow of broadcasting standards, which is fair enough. Realistically though that is unlikey to ever be produced on a consistent basis on local radio. The Ramage bashing is what I’m against most. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting he is brilliant at what he does but sometimes I find their is a underlying intellectual snobbery trying to do him down. It has a bit of a - we the book reading, real ale drinking, armchair/keyboard football theorists sneering at lager drinking, local thick lad lucky to have made it as a footballer vibe going on about it. 

Yeah, Ramage has been around for quite a while now (probably the longest tenure in the 'analyst' role since Ian Hall) and given Derby's position in all honesty hasn't really changed much in those years, it tends to lead to boredom/negativity. I doubt he has ambitions to move into other roles and given his age is likely to be around for a while yet.

I am a big fan of Eric Steele, he was the analyst when I first started listening in the mid nineties. A big difference is he's had a lot of coaching experience which is maybe even more relevant than playing experience.

Chris Coles is a highly accomplished broadcaster and wouldn't be surprised to find him on 5Live in a few years time, or maybe sooner.

You can also catch up with the Sportscene Talkin and summaries/interviews after the game via the Radio Dery Sport podcast.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Sounds to me from most of these posts that Dawes is the real 'problem'. Can't stand his commentary tbh, you can never be sure exactly what is happening even when we're attacking. He's even more hysterical when the opposition attack it seems.

Dawes and Ramage are decent when they’re being serious.  

Why Dawes feels the need to constantly snipe at Ramage I don’t know.  It’s wearisome.

13 hours ago, Alpha said:

Adding to the Eric Steele love in.

Didn't he stay when Mac was sacked and then Clement wanted his own people?

I reckon he's one of those football men you play for/used to play for that you just want to please. One that if he shakes his head in disappointment at you it hurts more than some coach screaming at you. 

Proper bloke is Eric. Bet he makes a good cuppa, his garden will look spot on, washes his own car and his wife struggles to find him jobs to do 'round the house. 

I'm pretty sure that Clement replaced him with Pascal Zuberbuhler

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2015/06/pascal-zuberbuhler-joins-Derby-county-as-goalkeeping-coach

I like Ramma, he’s a Ram, he knows enough about the inside of the game and is the sort of “character” that suits local radio. Not a perfect broadcaster but he entertains and is thoroughly amiable

Ed Dawes drives me mad, forced witticisms, always negative and at times in commentaries, it’s like he is waiting for us to concede so he can do an “I told you so” I don’t doubt he’s a fan but it’s a side of fandom that just irks me. 

13 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If you didn't catch the commentary of Ramage and Ed Dawes when Marriott scored at Leeds, please have a listen, I watched the game live but listen to that clip over and over, goose bumps as big as Nora Battys Knockers.

I tried to find this the other day and failed. Any links?

Archived