Tonight's moan in

ilkleyram

I watched both Eric Steele and Craig Ramage play for us and there is no doubt that Craig had the greater natural footballing talent in his own position.

Listening to the moan in tonight and you can only conclude that Eric has not only overtaken Craig but left him behind 30 years ago, in the position of football pundit and analyst. Tonight was a genuinely interesting listen, because Eric was there, unlike the usual puerile nonsense. Even the Chris Coles sounded like a proper broadcaster

Craig lad, stay in Skegness if that's really where you are. Radio Derby - bust whatever bank you have and replace him with Eric Steele.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, angieram said:

Love it when Eric Steele's in the studio. Would have listened if I had known. 

On the BBC iPlayer Radio app (ignore the BBC Sounds nonsense) you just look back through the schedule and can play whatever you want from the last few days. As it's Eric I'll have a listen later on.

Adding to the Eric Steele love in.

Didn't he stay when Mac was sacked and then Clement wanted his own people?

I reckon he's one of those football men you play for/used to play for that you just want to please. One that if he shakes his head in disappointment at you it hurts more than some coach screaming at you. 

Proper bloke is Eric. Bet he makes a good cuppa, his garden will look spot on, washes his own car and his wife struggles to find him jobs to do 'round the house. 

Never understood the issues with Radio Derby, they provide an excellent service, an alternative way of catching the game if you are not able to attend.

They have had some great characters on there over the years, Ross Fletcher, Tedd McMinn (I loved it when he called out Craig Fagan for stealing a living), Graham Richards and Ian Hall, Owen Bradley (just in case he reads this).

They have a difficult job trying to describe what is happening in front of them, especially when served up football by the likes of Pearson and Rowett.

If you didn't catch the commentary of Ramage and Ed Dawes when Marriott scored at Leeds, please have a listen, I watched the game live but listen to that clip over and over, goose bumps as big as Nora Battys Knockers.

1 hour ago, BobbyD said:

Little bit harsh - think he's excellent and has been for a long time 

The point I was clumsily making was that when Ramage is on Chris Coles gets too wrapped up in the jokey tooing and froing, most of which isn't amusing and, worse, contributes nothing.  When he's with Eric then he's altogether better because he stops trying to be funny and asks proper questions. Ramage has become a bad influence on him.

For what it's worth I do think that Radio Derby is generally pretty good. Ramage though lets the rest of them down. Someone at Producer level needs to talk to them and, if necessary, find someone else as analyst/pundit so it is better.  Having Eric on tonight shows how good it could be every week and the paucity of Ramage's contributions. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Masochists abound, everyone moans on how pants the Radio Derby phone in is yet they still listen...like they derive some kind of warped pleasure being tortured by the presenters and the callers

Or just listening in for a good laugh ??

12 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

The point I was clumsily making was that when Ramage is on Chris Coles gets too wrapped up in the jokey tooing and froing, most of which isn't amusing and, worse, contributes nothing.  When he's with Eric then he's altogether better because he stops trying to be funny and asks proper questions. Ramage has become a bad influence on him.

For what it's worth I do think that Radio Derby is generally pretty good. Ramage though lets the rest of them down. Someone at Producer level needs to talk to them and, if necessary, find someone else as analyst/pundit so it is better.  Having Eric on tonight shows how good it could be every week and the paucity of Ramage's contributions. 

Are you sure you're not confusing Chris Coles with Ed Dawes?

Chris is the host, Ed does the commentary alongside Ramage.

I can’t listen to the radio when the game is on. It does my head in. I don’t think it would matter who was on at the time if Derby are playing then I either have to be there or I can watch it on TV but radio no. I sometimes wish they could be a bit more positive after the games too.

23 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Are you sure you're not confusing Chris Coles with Ed Dawes?

Chris is the host, Ed does the commentary alongside Ramage.

I don't think so.  

I don't listen to the match commentary because I'm either at the game or too far away to pick up the broadcast. I listen to the talk in which, I think, is usually hosted by Chris Coles.

The Chris Coles (or Ed Dawes) on tonight with Eric was completely different from the one on with Ramage - there were good questions, good answers, insightful analysis, contributors told they were wrong (and right), and why, a superb analysis of Roos and his strengths and weaknesses and what Shay Given is probably working on with him; a really interesting comment about how long it took to get de Gea up to strength.

In short it was a programme that was constantly interesting and one that I suspect Ramage is incapable of producing. But that doesn't mean he couldn't do better. If Chris Coles (and maybe Ed Dawes) changed their approach or if someone senior in Radio Derby spoke to/trained Craig Ramage, then maybe we would get a better programme and, much more importantly, be better informed. 

Archived