U23s v Southampton

David

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Inverurie Ram said:

Chrissy Martin Derby's Number 9...........Quality footballer.

Runs like an old man with piles.

Good on the ball but in the championship he just wouldn’t get the time and space he needs. Shame as he’s one of my favourite players from the past five years.

Just now, Anag Ram said:

Runs like an old man with piles.

Good on the ball but in the championship he just wouldn’t get the time and space he needs. Shame as he’s one of my favourite players from the past five years.

He makes time and space, he's not about headless chicken running. You see that lovely backheel to Sibley in the last couple of minutes, and the pass to Bird for the goal? Looked good in the air with little support.

Some of our young players are really exciting. 

One of them is Sibely. He has a lot going for him. 

Does anyone else half look away when he tackles though. Expecting to hear the snap or crunch of some poor young players bones. 

Anyway, Mitchell Lawson shone brightest. Could be a big season for him in that U23 set up? Maybe get himself on the bench later in the season when we have to dip into the squad more? 

Just now, Steve How Hard? said:

Holmes got a bit of a clattering from their big centre half in that 1st half. Hope that was nothing to do with him being subbed as he looked quite lively at times in the minutes he played.

Definitely grew into the game as the first half progressed. He didn’t look to be in any distress so I think the plan was for him to play only 45 minutes all along.

I was particularly impressed by JML and Shinnie tonight.

3 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Holmes got a bit of a clattering from their big centre half in that 1st half. Hope that was nothing to do with him being subbed as he looked quite lively at times in the minutes he played.

That big fella made Mitchell Lawson look like he fell off a keyring 

Mitchell-Lawson looked great, really sharp and skillful. I asked on another thread why Whittaker had seemingly jumped ahead of him on the Florida trip.

I'm sure Whittaker has value too, in fact nice header back for the goal, but JML was Derby's main threat throughout.

Last game of the season when already promoted we should play an 18 of academy players. Ok. Got to take into account the opposition but a lot of these U23s look the business. Cocu knows he has some very good players on show tonight. Let us go and win this league.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I agree with your assessment but it makes me a little sad as you need someone to harry and win the ball alongside the technical stuff. I feel we're  missing that at the moment.

It I’ll take time for Cocu to recognise the need for the grafters rather than the fancy dans - me personally I can cope with one fancy dan on the pitch most of the time if it is well balanced with the grafters 

I watched the game, although couldn't focus as much as I would've liked as I was doing other things, but as soon as I saw the team I backed Derby. They had huge odds, so it felt a little bit like insider trading. 

No surprising that Sibley, Holmes & JML stood out. Martin looked tidy. Shinnie put 100% in, but looked short on quality in comparison to those around him. I really liked the look of Minkley. Anyone know where Bateman is? Minkley is a CB by trade, but seems to be playing RB for the U23 at this moment in time. 

Holmes looked really good in his short time on the pitch. I'd hope and pray that it's not too long before we see him back in the first team. 

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I watched the game, although couldn't focus as much as I would've liked as I was doing other things, but as soon as I saw the team I backed Derby. They had huge odds, so it felt a little bit like insider trading. 

No surprising that Sibley, Holmes & JML stood out. Martin looked tidy. Shinnie put 100% in, but looked short on quality in comparison to those around him. I really liked the look of Minkley. Anyone know where Bateman is? Minkley is a CB by trade, but seems to be playing RB for the U23 at this moment in time. 

Holmes looked really good in his short time on the pitch. I'd hope and pray that it's not too long before we see him back in the first team. 

Ravas, Barnes, Bateman, MacDonald, Buchanan, Babos, Knight, Wilson, Cresswell and Greco is the full list of U23s missing from last nights squad. 

Buchanan and Knight obviously still with the first team. Bateman and MacDonald have probably been training with the first team and are on standby in case of a last minute injury to Lowe or Malone.

I hope we’re looking to loan out Ravas, Barnes, Babos and Cresswell as they’re around the age they need competitive games.

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He makes time and space, he's not about headless chicken running. You see that lovely backheel to Sibley in the last couple of minutes, and the pass to Bird for the goal? Looked good in the air with little support.

Nope, I watched someone who struggled to keep up with the pace.

Yes he has a quality touch about him, but he would find it hard to fit in with the style of play we seem to prefer at the club.

Maybe time to move on

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You know what style Cocu prefers to play then do you.

I do know it is fast paced from ALL of the games I have seen so far.  Chris does not have that and it doesn't look like we are looking at someone who can hold the ball up in attack any time soon.

I also wasn't disagreeing that he is class, just doesn't seem to fit our mould.

Ask yourself why 3 managers have not used him in the past couple of years? 

Archived