U23s v Southampton

David

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I think, as you'd expect from a Dutch manager, he really values technical ability. 

Hence we have Huddlestone and Josefzoon in the team, and I think we'll see little of Shinnie and Bennett with their high energy pressing style that Lampard really valued. 

Yeah I reckon you’re right... and that’s the sort of footballer I’d rather see. A good passer is always more impressive than someone who runs a lot

Just came in to see the most blatant penalty ever for Mitchell Lawson being scythed down and the ref waves play on. Sometimes it's just impossible to comprehend how someone can be in their job. 

Commentators are trying to find an excuse for the ref. There can never be an excuse for that level of incompetence. 

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Just came in to see the most blatant penalty ever for Mitchell Lawson being scythed down and the ref waves play on. Sometimes it's just impossible to comprehend how someone can be in their job. 

Commentators are trying to find an excuse for the ref. There can never be an excuse for that level of incompetence. 

Too right, even blaming lack of VAR in an U23 match for visual impairment by the ref!

10 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I think, as you'd expect from a Dutch manager, he really values technical ability. 

Hence we have Huddlestone and Josefzoon in the team, and I think we'll see little of Shinnie and Bennett with their high energy pressing style that Lampard really valued. 

I agree with your assessment but it makes me a little sad as you need someone to harry and win the ball alongside the technical stuff. I feel we're  missing that at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah I reckon you’re right... and that’s the sort of footballer I’d rather see. A good passer is always more impressive than someone who runs a lot

I hope we see more of Bennett than we have so far this season. I think as an impact sub, he really can make a difference. 

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree with your assessment but it makes me a little sad as you need someone to harry and win the ball alongside the technical stuff. I feel we're  missing that at the moment.

It may change... As Cocu learns about this league. Maybe he'll decide he needs a bit more of that too. 

But you'd expect him to start with what's worked well for him in the past to begin with at least. 

I know there will be those on here who will say that the u23s are at a lower level than the first team and the likes of Shinnie,  Holmes and Martin should shine. But to be fair, Holmes and Shinnie have been pretty good. Martin doesnt appear to be able to keep up with the pace although he has had a couple of good touches

13 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Sounds like the ref at Stoke ?

Good first half by us there, definitely the better team. Should be leading, and we would’ve been if not for some bad luck and poor refeering. Final decision making could be better (Holmes particulary) but In the main it’s been impressive. Shinnie looking decent at breaking up play and doing the simple stuff- he seems to be quite Evans like almost. Holmes started rusty as expected but grew and grew into his game until everything started going through him. He doesn’t look far away. Some nice touches from Martin too, Sibley as well though he still looks a little raw to me. Bird looks good out of position at centre half too, very calm. Whittaker looks to have some technical ability in his locker as well, definitely one to watch. Impressed by Mitchell Lawson too, always looks a threat 

And now as the half fan I am, I’m off to watch Man United instead of the second half. Enjoy the rest of you full fans, I’ll keep an eye on here

Archived