Winging it

sage

13 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think Jozefzoon gets too much of a hard time.

He didn’t do very well last season, but did he get genuine backing from the manager?

We know how much a manager’s backing can make a difference. See Vydra in 16-17 v Vydra in 17-18.

How is a player supposed to build confidence, consistency and understanding with his teammates if he starts 13 games in an entire league campaign?

For 12 games he wasn’t even in the squad and for 7 games he was an unused substitute. So for over 40% of our league games, he didn’t get a kick.

So maybe we shouldn’t be so quick to write Jozefzoon off? Maybe if Cocu sticks with him, he’ll be rewarded.

I think last year was a case of being in and out of the team combined with I don't think his skill set is suited to playing on the left.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of backing, how terrible was Tomori when he first arrived here?

But Frank continued to encourage him, show him support, give him start after start, chance after chance, and he looked a completely different and much improved player by season’s end.

Could the same happen with Jozefzoon if he gets a manager who truly supports him and someone he enjoys playing for?

I thought all the pre-season talk was about Zoon's reaction, in a social media post, to being frozen out by Cocu at PSV (though for some of that time he was injured). Why now are you expecting him to excel through love and support?

If you want wingers, Jayden Mitchell-Lawson looked impressive for the Under-23s last night.

1 hour ago, TibshelfRam said:

Hull away. He looked good.

Plus, I actually felt that when he came on in the play off final, we looked better - direct running and stayed wide causing them problems. Football is a game of opinions, mind.

Take your point about Lawrence. Which is why I said about the other wingers Cocu has worked with. Plenty would say that Depay and Lozano have been 1 in 4 wingers at other clubs. But Cocu got the best out of the them in a system that suited them. I say, lets give him the chance to do it again. Because if he can, Lawrence could be one hell of a player.

Hull away was the cup game effectively against Hull reserves.

I think we will end up with a midfield diamond or 3412.

Ie no wingers with Lawrence potentially playing behind the front two.

6 minutes ago, sage said:

Hull away was the cup game effectively against Hull reserves.

I think we will end up with a midfield diamond or 3412.

Ie no wingers with Lawrence potentially playing behind the front two.

The thing with Jozefsoon that makes me still hopeful that might be more there is he has a good pedigree. Started at Ajax and was bought by PSV before moving to Brentford. And has been pointed out he had a good season with Brentford before joining us. 

He wasn't good for us last season but he had a very stop start season and was often put on the left which really didn't seem to suit him.

Archived