What a Manager we have!

Half fan

On 17/08/2019 at 19:33, Half fan said:

Sir Cocu's calm and precise analysis of the Stoke match surely shows a master at work.

He's unhappy at four points lost, despite a far from ideal and rather short pre-season. This shows the high winning standard he has set for the squad. No talk of the last 12 games being the key to promotion - every game is the key to promotion from August onwards.

He explains how he saw the first half today and why he made what some saw as baffling changes. He then describes succintly the resulting improvement whilst calmly listing the failings which need to be eliminated.

He doesn't talk about Plans A or B, he analyses what's happening in the match and changes formations, tactics and players as soon as the need is evident.

Our captain who's had more than his fair share of club and international managers, says training is an eye-opener. Gradually, we can see why.

Sir Cocu is taking our club to a higher level than I can recall in many decades. No banal generalities, no superficial banter with the interviewer. The players ere expected to work hard mentally as well as physically.

It seems to me that Frank relied on a team formula of hard work, energy, and pressing whilst he motivated the players with his personality, humour and winning determination. Frustratingy it didn't always work, especially away to inferior teams. In contrast, our new management is more cerebral and concentrates on developing each player's technical and positioning and adaptability skills, as well as the team performance. So those players of any age who want to improve themselves and be stretched will relish the fabulous opportunity. Those that don't or can't will fall by the wayside, if the steely glint in the manager's eye is anything to go by.

Of course there will be setbacks and disappointments. But there's some real building work going on here and it's a privilege to see it unfold.

Thanks DCFC for the astute and synergistic investment in facilities and management.

On 17/08/2019 at 21:51, Rampage said:

Exactly what you said, Half Fan.

Blimey, think of what he would have put if he was a full fan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed.. but can anyone on here understand why Lowe and Zoon didn't swap sides when we went 3 5 2?

Cocu explained this in his interview. Basically as he expects Lowe to play there for the next few games he didn't want to displace him and keep moving him round.

1 hour ago, JoeDerby said:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed.. but can anyone on here understand why Lowe and Zoon didn't swap sides when we went 3 5 2?

If you want a question like this answered immediately, then follow subscribe to the Athletic!

Ryan Conway said that it was for two reasons: the first and main reason was that with Bogle out injured, he didn’t want to switch Max again as he needs to get used to playing on the right. The second is that Zoon played on the left for him under PSV and he knows he can cross with his left foot.

6 hours ago, Srg said:

Cocu clapped and waved on Saturday, stick that up your pipe Dave from Chad.

Van der Weerden also stopped all the players from walking off and made them applaud the fans, for what it's worth.

Shouldn't bloody have to, though!  People paid enough of their hard-earned to sell out the away end and the least they can expect is acknowledgement from the players for their support, imho!

Just now, RedSox said:

Shouldn't bloody have to, though!  People paid enough of their hard-earned to sell out the away end and the least they can expect is acknowledgement from the players for their support, imho!

angry go cartoons GIF by Cartoon Hangover

face palm GIF

1 hour ago, JoeDerby said:

It was to get Lowe more comfortable at RB, I believe because he'll he playing there for the next couple of weeks. Also, Stoke had McClean at LB, so needed a more defensive minded presence IMO. I would have personally swapped them, but I guess that could've given McCLean the freedom of the city on the left hand side and lost us the game. 

Cocu doesn't give much away but his analysis of the game is very thoughtful. I hope he can bring stability, structure and eventually success to the club. Getting Derby promoted would be a career success as would consolidation and a fruitful youth policy.

28 minutes ago, RedSox said:

Christ, why does it bloody matter. Fully grown adults shouldn't need a manager to wave at them. Or players.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

It was to get Lowe more comfortable at RB, I believe because he'll he playing there for the next couple of weeks. Also, Stoke had McClean at LB, so needed a more defensive minded presence IMO. I would have personally swapped them, but I guess that could've given McCLean the freedom of the city on the left hand side and lost us the game. 

Fair enough, kind of makes sense, didn't really think of defending against McClean but thought Lowe did a great job against him all game and he would've been too much for Zoon. Thought Lowe was brilliant all game actually. Playing right back with a left foot and vice versa is certainly not easy - there's no easy option of hooking the ball down the line or to the striker. I thought it was a very professional performance and hopefully can make LB his own once Bogle returns.

5 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Fair enough, kind of makes sense, didn't really think of defending against McClean but thought Lowe did a great job against him all game and he would've been too much for Zoon. Thought Lowe was brilliant all game actually. Playing right back with a left foot and vice versa is certainly not easy - there's no easy option of hooking the ball down the line or to the striker. I thought it was a very professional performance and hopefully can make LB his own once Bogle returns.

Best performance ive seen from Max , the loan at Aberdeen has done him a world of good , hopefully Bogle and Lowe become top quality full backs with us

On 17/08/2019 at 18:47, Derby blood said:

You have your opinion I have my, let's have a bet on it, I am very confident in my footballing knowledge 100 pound we will make top 6, to any charity of your and my choice, put your money where your mouth is because I am 100 percent confident in my opinion, at this level we have a good squad and when Rooney comes in we have a excellent squad , dare I say maybe even top 2.

Being 100% certain on something that cannot be 100% known is 100% ludicrous.

Maybe scale it back a tad to 95%?

I like what I'm seeing although I think just because managers like Cox and Smith didn't break down the tactical element to reporters doesn't mean there wasn't one or that they are in any way less cerebral when it comes to football.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Christ, why does it bloody matter. Fully grown adults shouldn't need a manager to wave at them. Or players.

Guess it comes down to standards.  Maybe mine are a bit different to others.  If you don't like them.........I have others! ?

23 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

its 3 seasons since we sacked a manager so that doesnt hold water just old news

I didn't say it was 'new' news. I was responding to the poster who said that we are in transition because 'Thats what happens when you lose managers every season'. I was simply commenting that some managers left, some were sacked. No mention of any time frame. 

I don't know what you are getting at. Just trolling maybe?

6 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Cocu explained this in his interview. Basically as he expects Lowe to play there for the next few games he didn't want to displace him and keep moving him round.

Also he knows the potential of Zoon and did not to take him off, which I would have. I suggested at HT Bielik on and Zoon off. So not far off for once

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Being 100% certain on something that cannot be 100% known is 100% ludicrous.

Maybe scale it back a tad to 95%?

I like what I'm seeing although I think just because managers like Cox and Smith didn't break down the tactical element to reporters doesn't mean there wasn't one or that they are in any way less cerebral when it comes to football.

I agree 100 percent on some parts but not sure which ones.

2 hours ago, europia said:

I didn't say it was 'new' news. I was responding to the poster who said that we are in transition because 'Thats what happens when you lose managers every season'. I was simply commenting that some managers left, some were sacked. No mention of any time frame. 

I don't know what you are getting at. Just trolling maybe?

if i knew what trolling was i might just reply but unfortunately i only speak english. PS i have had Mr Google define trolling for me.I can now say NO i wasnt trolling you.I was re-enforcing what you had said

I can't get me head round Phil's team selections. I would have Bennett, Marriott and Bielik in the team ahead of Jozefzoon, Lawrence and Evans/Hudds every time.

But I respect his credentials as someone who knows a bit more about the old game than me. He must be given time to sort out his best XI.

100 + caps for Holland, 8 years playing for Barcelona and 3 League titles as manager yet he still infuriates me with his team selections !!!!!

If you need any advice Phil, give me a shout,  my vast knowledge of the Uttoxeter and District League, Division Two, entitles me to my opinion on such matters.

I was the one who thought Theo Robinson was Sergio Aguerro when he made his debut at Sheffield United btw incase you dare to question my credentials.

37 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I can't get me head round Phil's team selections. I would have Bennett, Marriott and Bielik in the team ahead of Jozefzoon, Lawrence and Evans/Hudds every time.

But I respect his credentials as someone who knows a bit more about the old game than me. He must be given time to sort out his best XI.

100 + caps for Holland, 8 years playing for Barcelona and 3 League titles as manager yet he still infuriates me with his team selections !!!!!

If you need any advice Phil, give me a shout,  my vast knowledge of the Uttoxeter and District League, Division Two, entitles me to my opinion on such matters.

I was the one who thought Theo Robinson was Sergio Aguerro when he made his debut at Sheffield United btw incase you dare to question my credentials.

Judging by what he’s said in interviews, so would he. It’s not really much of a “selection” at the moment - he picked the most prepared players in the first game and is subsequently reluctant to chop and change when we need some consistency with the new ideas.

Not to mention that two of the three players included (Bielik and Marriott) didn’t play 90 minutes of preseason between them so aren’t fit enough yet.

Bennett is the only established first team player at Cocu’s disposal that has been fit enough to play 90 minutes and hasn’t.

On 17/08/2019 at 12:05, Anag Ram said:

He has probably 18 or so players vying for team places. He needs time to sort that into his best eleven and get them to play the way he wants them to.

He will play a fairly safe starting team to keep it tight and not throw games away early, in the knowledge he has impact subs.

He won’t want to rush Bielik or Marriott back from their varying lack of fitness.

There’s plenty of time to construct his team - one that can push for top six and avoid flakiness in January and February.l

This is the best sign in my eyes.

He’s clearly got a strong philosophy and a way he wants to play but he’s practical about it. It’s such a refreshingly mature approach and it eliminates dropped points at the start of the season. We’ve not had a crazy 4-1 loss like we did at the start of last season, we’re not dropping stupid points and we’re building confidence.

It’s an elite mentality that helps you out at the end of the season. Over the last 4/5 seasons we’ve had play-off races go down to the last day and while it’s easy to write off dropping points early in the season but they all count the same. 

It probably won’t happen this season but this is the first time we’ve had a manager I’m confident could win the league at the club in my lifetime. Very confident going forward and still ecstatic we’ve hired him. 

Archived