What a Manager we have!

Half fan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RamNut said:

ResultsWise we are doing ok. The performances are typical early season fayre. Slightly patchy. Some good things. Some inconsistancy. Pity about the missed pen and the dropped points v swansea. The stoke game could have gone either way. Bristol city will be a big test. The midfield is now becoming identified as a problem area but there is no way Cocu can he held accountable for that.

The summer was disrupted, and the recruitment failed to address the midfield. It was too early for him to really know what was needed. Maybe thats one reason why the majority were temporary signings. I got the impression that he went along with a series of deals that were put to him and were collectively agreed. I'd be amazed if he'd even heard of Matt Clarke. Maybe thats where Rosenior had some early input. 

It will be interesting to see how it develops. Whether he sticks with huddlestone. Whether Holmes can add something. Whether Marriott can force his way back in. Will Lawrence and jozefzoon survive and come good. Where will Rooney fit in? Can this be a breakthrough season for Knight and Lowe?

Its too early to make any conclusions. We just need to let things unfold and enjoy the ride. 

Do you think that part of the reason we didn’t recruit in midfield is that the majority of the youth players who could step up play there? Cocu and the club have said that we are reluctant to sign players who block the path to the first team and perhaps we didn’t want to do that when we have a chance to blood Knight, Sibley and Bird in and see if they’re good enough.

17 hours ago, ramit said:

It just dawned on me what the problem is, it's that useless unfit to wear the shirt lazy has been no first touch Waghorn who's to blame. 

Boo

Not useless, not unfit, not lazy etc. Very good player but missed two vital chances. Happens most games to some striker. Take your chances, win the games. Always been true, always will be.

37 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Not useless, not unfit, not lazy etc. Very good player but missed two vital chances. Happens most games to some striker. Take your chances, win the games. Always been true, always will be.

My poor attempt at sarcasm that was.  Waghorn is a massive player for us, love him to bits.  He's a good team player too, does the defensive work as well as working the forward line.  He will most annoyed at any opportunity he misses, but the fact that he gets those opportunities is down to what a good positioning player he is.

9 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I'm really enthused by the direction Derby are going in currently & Cocu is a massive part of that. 

I really like Cocu's demeanour. Whilst we all warmed to Lampard last year, I much prefer managers to be detached, control their emotions & therefore be better able to make key calls in the high pressure atmosphere of games. He's very measured, clearly understands the game & times his decisions well. I find myself paying more attention to his post-match interviews than previous Derby managers.

He's also been true to his word on developing youth. The Scunthorpe game was great not just because of how many Academy graduates played (and played well) but the fact that one of them scored the winner. Often there's a bit of a psychological barrier for young players to overcome at this level but by lashing in that winner, Buchanan has proved to Knight, Sibley, Bird, Whitaker et al that yes, they can make an impact at first team level & to grab those opportunities. Exciting times.

Aye, more than one way to skin a cat (or win a game of football in this case). Cocu gives off an aura of knowing the game technically inside out and that makes him interesting to me at least. I loved Lampard last season, his interviews were generally about "desire" and "effort" and his passion did shine through, contrast to Cocu who is more reserved but more deliberate and analytical. I prefer listening to Cocu overall. I am very relaxed about what this season holds because I think the man at the helm is the right man, I'm not sure he has the tools just yet and pre-season was a write-off. If he can start to impart his philosophy on the players he wants to keep beyond this season (sure he is still figuring that out) and academy players he can bring into the fold then that is a good set-up to finally get us out this league when he beds in!

5 hours ago, Duracell said:

Do you think that part of the reason we didn’t recruit in midfield is that the majority of the youth players who could step up play there? Cocu and the club have said that we are reluctant to sign players who block the path to the first team and perhaps we didn’t want to do that when we have a chance to blood Knight, Sibley and Bird in and see if they’re good enough.

They are all centre mids which ironically is where we did sign players - bielik, shinnie, and dowell (loan) despite already having holmes, evans and huddlestone. 

We let thomas go and brought in paterson on loan without any stand out wide midfielders ready to break through.

so not sure that your suggestion really stands up to scrutiny.

Oh, how I love the negativity from some of the fans.

When Jim Smith came in we got 9 points from the first 9 games against relatively beatable teams- thank god social media wasn't around then, he'd have been sacked

Cocu has been brought in to develop the youth over the next 2 to 3 years, he is still tinkering with personnel/formations and yet some of the 'experts' have decided that we're going nowhere.

Given time I think Cocu could create something great but the bed wetters will have him out by Christmas

8 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

Oh, how I love the negativity from some of the fans.

When Jim Smith came in we got 9 points from the first 9 games against relatively beatable teams- thank god social media wasn't around then, he'd have been sacked

Cocu has been brought in to develop the youth over the next 2 to 3 years, he is still tinkering with personnel/formations and yet some of the 'experts' have decided that we're going nowhere.

Given time I think Cocu could create something great but the bed wetters will have him out by Christmas

Yeah but Jim had Egor.

10 hours ago, Turnstile said:

Yeah but Jim had Egor.

Not at the start of the season he didn't. Egor came in on 31 October. Cocu has Rooney coming in January, someone who should have just as big an impact on the team, dressing room and whole club as Igor did. I expect Rooney to play centre midfield by the way, which is a further point for those who are saying midfield is a problem and wasn't addressed etc.    

15 hours ago, RamNut said:

They are all centre mids which ironically is where we did sign players - bielik, shinnie, and dowell (loan) despite already having holmes, evans and huddlestone. 

We let thomas go and brought in paterson on loan without any stand out wide midfielders ready to break through.

so not sure that your suggestion really stands up to scrutiny.

No. I’m not sure it does either.

Other than the fact that I would still argue we are short on options in central midfield. We only had Mount, Bryson and Holmes to play there last season - that’s not enough depth for a 46-game season.

It’s academic whether you count wingers as midfielders or forwards but I do agree that we’re short there and it’s not where our academy is strongest. Still a bit surprised we let Thomas go, but you have to assume that decision was part financial. 

On 18/08/2019 at 07:39, superzak said:

2 home games this week against sides that potentially will finish top 6. Its not necessary to win both but could be an early indicator of cocus ambitions until Rooney time next year.

I always want maximum points, and always think we are going to get them when the game kicks off. It doesn't always work out

I reckon if we get 4 points out of the next 6, considering who and where we've played, I'd say that would spell promotion contenders ? 

The next phase is seeing if we can hammer the weaker teams and get 2 or 3 wins on the bounce.

Little steps folks .. he's building a team 

On 17/08/2019 at 19:33, Half fan said:

Our captain who's had more than his fair share of club and international managers, says training is an eye-opener. Gradually, we can see why.

Sir Cocu is taking our club to a higher level than I can recall in many decades. No banal generalities, no superficial banter with the interviewer. The players ere expected to work hard mentally as well as physically.

Our captain has his eyes unbelievably wide 24/7 so im not surprised 

Archived