Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Half fan

What a Manager we have!

Recommended Posts

Sir Cocu's calm and precise analysis of the Stoke match surely shows a master at work.

He's unhappy at four points lost, despite a far from ideal and rather short pre-season. This shows the high winning standard he has set for the squad. No talk of the last 12 games being the key to promotion - every game is the key to promotion from August onwards.

He explains how he saw the first half today and why he made what some saw as baffling changes. He then describes succintly the resulting improvement whilst calmly listing the failings which need to be eliminated.

He doesn't talk about Plans A or B, he analyses what's happening in the match and changes formations, tactics and players as soon as the need is evident.

Our captain who's had more than his fair share of club and international managers, says training is an eye-opener. Gradually, we can see why.

Sir Cocu is taking our club to a higher level than I can recall in many decades. No banal generalities, no superficial banter with the interviewer. The players ere expected to work hard mentally as well as physically.

It seems to me that Frank relied on a team formula of hard work, energy, and pressing whilst he motivated the players with his personality, humour and winning determination. Frustratingy it didn't always work, especially away to inferior teams. In contrast, our new management is more cerebral and concentrates on developing each player's technical and positioning and adaptability skills, as well as the team performance. So those players of any age who want to improve themselves and be stretched will relish the fabulous opportunity. Those that don't or can't will fall by the wayside, if the steely glint in the manager's eye is anything to go by.

Of course there will be setbacks and disappointments. But there's some real building work going on here and it's a privilege to see it unfold.

Thanks DCFC for the astute and synergistic investment in facilities and management.

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

I am very pleased we have him as our manager, just dont think he has the players for us to compete. Hope fans are patient with him and give him this season as a free pass (as long as there are some positives)

Agreed, Think we are a few players short.

A classy  attacking midfielder and winger would make a massive difference to this squad... unfortunately we are going to have to wait until January to adress this.

Rooney can be the classy AM but it may be more difficult to find a quality wide player without big bucks.

Cocu needs time but you can tell he knows what hes doing.

Share this post


Link to post

He has probably 18 or so players vying for team places. He needs time to sort that into his best eleven and get them to play the way he wants them to.

He will play a fairly safe starting team to keep it tight and not throw games away early, in the knowledge he has impact subs.

He won’t want to rush Bielik or Marriott back from their varying lack of fitness.

There’s plenty of time to construct his team - one that can push for top six and avoid flakiness in January and February.l

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dcfcfan1 said:

I am very pleased we have him as our manager, just dont think he has the players for us to compete. Hope fans are patient with him and give him this season as a free pass (as long as there are some positives)

What are you defining as competing? We are 3 games unbeaten with 2 of those games away from home.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Nick_Ram said:

What are you defining as competing? We are 3 games unbeaten with 2 of those games away from home.

Good performances, in all 3 of them games, I thought our midfield got over ran and outfought

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Good performances, in all 3 of them games, I thought our midfield got over ran and outfought

So we've failed to put in a good performance but come away with a win and 2 draws?

I'd say that was a sign of a good team. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Half fan said:

Sir Cocu's calm and precise analysis of the Stoke match surely shows a master at work.

He's unhappy at four points lost, despite a far from ideal and rather short pre-season. This shows the high winning standard he has set for the squad. No talk of the last 12 games being the key to promotion - every game is the key to promotion from August onwards.

He explains how he saw the first half today and why he made what some saw as baffling changes. He then describes succintly the resulting improvement whilst calmly listing the failings which need to be eliminated.

He doesn't talk about Plans A or B, he analyses what's happening in the match and changes formations, tactics and players as soon as the need is evident.

Our captain who's had more than his fair share of club and international managers, says training is an eye-opener. Gradually, we can see why.

Sir Cocu is taking our club to a higher level than I can recall in many decades. No banal generalities, no superficial banter with the interviewer. The players ere expected to work hard mentally as well as physically.

It seems to me that Frank relied on a team formula of hard work, energy, and pressing whilst he motivated the players with his personality, humour and winning determination. Frustratingy it didn't always work, especially away to inferior teams. In contrast, our new management is more cerebral and concentrates on developing each player's technical and positioning and adaptability skills, as well as the team performance. So those players of any age who want to improve themselves and be stretched will relish the fabulous opportunity. Those that don't or can't will fall by the wayside, if the steely glint in the manager's eye is anything to go by.

Of course there will be setbacks and disappointments. But there's some real building work going on here and it's a privilege to see it unfold.

Thanks DCFC for the astute and synergistic investment in facilities and management.

 

Exactly what you said, Half Fan.

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

So we've failed to put in a good performance but come away with a win and 2 draws?

I'd say that was a sign of a good team. 

Sign of a good defence which is encouraging, and character and good management by cocu to change things, yes

 

Not all doom and gloom

But I think we face an uphill battle now we have lost mount and wilson, and not really replaced wilson

Share this post


Link to post

Missed 4 points is equivalent to a missed penalty and a late Waghorn chance missed today, regardless of many other factors.they go in and we are top of the league.

Share this post


Link to post

Agree with many of the comments. We might just have a top 6 side when it comes to personnel but debatable, we’re definitely not one of the 3 best teams in the league on paper, any success will be down to how Cocu sets us up, his tactics and how he can introduce the likes of Knight and Sibley to hopefully add to what we have.

Mel will 100% give him time. If we don’t make the playoffs Mel will be happy if Knight Buchanan and Sibley have played some matches and look likely to help take us to the next level the following season. I think Cocu will stay also.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

I am very pleased we have him as our manager, just dont think he has the players for us to compete. Hope fans are patient with him and give him this season as a free pass (as long as there are some positives)

Depends what is meant by a free pass? Does that mean not finishing in the top six?

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, europia said:

Depends what is meant by a free pass? Does that mean not finishing in the top six?

Thats exactly what i mean

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

I am very pleased we have him as our manager, just dont think he has the players for us to compete. Hope fans are patient with him and give him this season as a free pass (as long as there are some positives)

I also think he is a great manager, but I will disagree with you about not having the players, at this level our squad is top six material no doubt about that, two great centre halfs at this level, Bogle a great right back, Bielik is a power house who will prove his worth over the season, Lawrence is a match winner and two good forwards at this level, with Rooney to come in Jan, we have lots to look forward to, so sit back and enjoy the ride back to the Premiership, in Cocu we trust.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

I also think he is a great manager, but I will disagree with you about not having the players, at this level our squad is top six material no doubt about that, two great centre halfs at this level, Bogle a great right back, Bielik is a power house who will prove his worth over the season, Lawrence is a match winner and two good forwards at this level, with Rooney to come in Jan, we have lots to look forward to, so sit back and enjoy the ride back to the Premiership, in Cocu we trust.

Our midfield will get over-ran most games and our wingers are not productive

Share this post


Link to post

Can be looked at one of two ways - unbeaten and bringing the ‘unfit’ players on gradually.

OR

one win in three and the team we beat are not exactly used to winning!

Today we had 5 centre backs/defensive midfielders on at the same time (Keogh, Clarke, Bielik, Evans, Huddlestone).

We lack creativity and skill. Jozefzoon is a waste.

this will either be a disaster or brilliant 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Our midfield will get over-ran most games and our wingers are not productive

Our starting midfield maybe, bring Bielik in different scenario, Holmes back fit change Flo Jo and Rooney in January behind whoever, I doubt it myself.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.