What a Manager we have!

Half fan

21 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Our midfield will get over-ran most games and our wingers are not productive

We're three games in.  Our best midfield is yet to start and we're a work in progress that won't hit it's straps until the autumn (because of numerous factors impacting our summer and pre-season).  Now is not the time to panic.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Our midfield will get over-ran most games and our wingers are not productive

You have your opinion I have my, let's have a bet on it, I am very confident in my footballing knowledge 100 pound we will make top 6, to any charity of your and my choice, put your money where your mouth is because I am 100 percent confident in my opinion, at this level we have a good squad and when Rooney comes in we have a excellent squad , dare I say maybe even top 2.

I like what Cocu is doing. He isn't rushing and making brash changes like fans would have done ( I would have done) he's sticking with his team, and learning how he wants to utilise the players. Been a very solid start, haven't set the world alight yet, but we're unbeaten after 2 tricky away ties. 

Cocu is trying to do it in the right way. I feel absolutely positive that we'll get it together, seeing players like Max Lowe play out of position and yet perform absolutely brilliant feels amazing. Not to mention Jason Knight, who looked very good when he came on too. 

What's paramount is, that we as fans stay patient. It's all been good so far, but we're early days. If it starts getting more tricky, that's when we have to stick by him. I'm convinced he's the man to take us forward, whether it'll be this year, or in two years time. 

1 hour ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Can be looked at one of two ways - unbeaten and bringing the ‘unfit’ players on gradually.

OR

one win in three and the team we beat are not exactly used to winning!

Today we had 5 centre backs/defensive midfielders on at the same time (Keogh, Clarke, Bielik, Evans, Huddlestone).

We lack creativity and skill. Jozefzoon is a waste.

this will either be a disaster or brilliant 

May I remind you, last season we struggled quite badly against the poo teams at the bottom. 

Lack creativity? We gave Waghorn an absolutely golden chance to win the game. 

Why does it have to be either? There is some middle ground. This over sensationalising of things is what gives fans ridiculous expectations. 

Just now, desirelines said:

God I hope so. Although you just know that after 10mins on Tuesday there’ll be a collective groan from the home fans when the ball is played back from midfield to defence. 

Really, really hoping. Considering our circumstances when Cocu took over, not having a proper preseason, injuries to important players like Holmes, Marriott, him not being able to get players in until later in the window due to him joining fairly late on. I think with all that considered, it's been an admirable start. I think the Rooney signing pushed expectations up, which has negatives to it. 

If Cocu beds in the youth and has a solid top half finish, he's done well. 

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

Missed 4 points is equivalent to a missed penalty and a late Waghorn chance missed today, regardless of many other factors.they go in and we are top of the league.

It just dawned on me what the problem is, it's that useless unfit to wear the shirt lazy has been no first touch Waghorn who's to blame. 

Boo

There are clubs and their fans in the Prem who would have loved Cocu to be their manager. At last we have a manager with pedigree which has been really missing from some of our previous appointments. Mel hasn't given him a 4 year contract for nothing.Mel is happy to give him time so that he can create stability within the club from a footballing perspective, bring the young blood through and ultimately gain promotion

7 hours ago, Derby blood said:

You have your opinion I have my, let's have a bet on it, I am very confident in my footballing knowledge 100 pound we will make top 6, to any charity of your and my choice, put your money where your mouth is because I am 100 percent confident in my opinion, at this level we have a good squad and when Rooney comes in we have a excellent squad , dare I say maybe even top 2.

I've never seen you like this before, Blooders!  Bolshie almost!  What on earth has got into you?  Offering bets left right and centre... And such high stakes too!

Oh... Don't tell me... You've gone and bought a Rooney shirt haven't you? 

You used to be so nice before your gambling problem kicked in! 

;-) 

For me so long as we have a top 6'ish finish this season will be a success. Other managers when they have come in have wanted money to bring the players in who suit their style of management but not Cocu. He is still tinkering with tactics and trying to adapt a style of play which sits best with the players he has at his disposal. He is not always going to get it right but it won't be through lack of trying. We just don't have the funds to go out and buy success,even when we did it didn't work

He will also be looking towards the bigger picture that when we get promotion (i have no doubt we will achieve promotion under Cocu) we have a solid player base who can play and survive in the Prem without having to go out and buy 8 or 9 new players (Villa as an example). I mean last time we were there we were that dire we didn't get enough points for a driving ban. Lessons will have been learn't

ResultsWise we are doing ok. The performances are typical early season fayre. Slightly patchy. Some good things. Some inconsistancy. Pity about the missed pen and the dropped points v swansea. The stoke game could have gone either way. Bristol city will be a big test. The midfield is now becoming identified as a problem area but there is no way Cocu can he held accountable for that.

The summer was disrupted, and the recruitment failed to address the midfield. It was too early for him to really know what was needed. Maybe thats one reason why the majority were temporary signings. I got the impression that he went along with a series of deals that were put to him and were collectively agreed. I'd be amazed if he'd even heard of Matt Clarke. Maybe thats where Rosenior had some early input. 

It will be interesting to see how it develops. Whether he sticks with huddlestone. Whether Holmes can add something. Whether Marriott can force his way back in. Will Lawrence and jozefzoon survive and come good. Where will Rooney fit in? Can this be a breakthrough season for Knight and Lowe?

Its too early to make any conclusions. We just need to let things unfold and enjoy the ride. 

15 hours ago, Half fan said:

Sir Cocu's calm and precise analysis of the Stoke match surely shows a master at work.

He's unhappy at four points lost, despite a far from ideal and rather short pre-season. This shows the high winning standard he has set for the squad. No talk of the last 12 games being the key to promotion - every game is the key to promotion from August onwards.

He explains how he saw the first half today and why he made what some saw as baffling changes. He then describes succintly the resulting improvement whilst calmly listing the failings which need to be eliminated.

He doesn't talk about Plans A or B, he analyses what's happening in the match and changes formations, tactics and players as soon as the need is evident.

Our captain who's had more than his fair share of club and international managers, says training is an eye-opener. Gradually, we can see why.

Sir Cocu is taking our club to a higher level than I can recall in many decades. No banal generalities, no superficial banter with the interviewer. The players ere expected to work hard mentally as well as physically.

It seems to me that Frank relied on a team formula of hard work, energy, and pressing whilst he motivated the players with his personality, humour and winning determination. Frustratingy it didn't always work, especially away to inferior teams. In contrast, our new management is more cerebral and concentrates on developing each player's technical and positioning and adaptability skills, as well as the team performance. So those players of any age who want to improve themselves and be stretched will relish the fabulous opportunity. Those that don't or can't will fall by the wayside, if the steely glint in the manager's eye is anything to go by.

Of course there will be setbacks and disappointments. But there's some real building work going on here and it's a privilege to see it unfold.

Thanks DCFC for the astute and synergistic investment in facilities and management.

Probably the best post on here ever.

I'm really enthused by the direction Derby are going in currently & Cocu is a massive part of that. 

I really like Cocu's demeanour. Whilst we all warmed to Lampard last year, I much prefer managers to be detached, control their emotions & therefore be better able to make key calls in the high pressure atmosphere of games. He's very measured, clearly understands the game & times his decisions well. I find myself paying more attention to his post-match interviews than previous Derby managers.

He's also been true to his word on developing youth. The Scunthorpe game was great not just because of how many Academy graduates played (and played well) but the fact that one of them scored the winner. Often there's a bit of a psychological barrier for young players to overcome at this level but by lashing in that winner, Buchanan has proved to Knight, Sibley, Bird, Whitaker et al that yes, they can make an impact at first team level & to grab those opportunities. Exciting times.

4 hours ago, DRBee said:

We have not yet seen Bielek in midfield, ....... but hey write us off.

He will be class a DM , no doubt about that. Just dont think he will solve our issues which is:

1- Lack of a box to box midfielder with energy (i.e hendrick, bryson- in the mac era)

2- Wingers are utterly awful, cant hold the ball or provide any decent service. Lawrence a 1 in 3/4 match- winner but the rest Id argue are impact players rather than starting material

Archived