If Kieran Dowell is the answer, what is the question?

Rev

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies if this has already been said throughout the existing pages of the thread but:

I never saw Dowell as a direct replacement for Mount and it is probably an unfair comparison. In actuality, I always thought that Harry Wilson looked at his best (and we did as a team) when he played in the middle alongside Mount in October/November time. And to me, Dowell is probably slightly more similar to Wilson in that role.

I recall posts - and my own thoughts - around this time last season struggling to see where Wilson fitted in and what he added to the team. I can't say that I think that now. Dowell will come good, I've no doubt about that.

What I'd say is that, going forward, we are clearly still a work in progress - we haven't 'clicked' yet. But I think that we will. We haven't quite got the balance right. I'm hoping that with Bielik coming in, we will play a slightly more offensive player alongside Dowell in midfield and I think that with Bielik behind, and then a box to box player (a la Holmes) Dowell will be given more licence to roam and create. I genuinely think that he will click once we get the balance, system and personnel right. I do think that Bielik, Holmes and Dowell supplying Jozefzoon/Paterson, Lawrence, Waghorn and Bogle and Malone in support will look creative and fluid moving forward.

Archived