If Kieran Dowell is the answer, what is the question?

Rev

15 hours ago, enachops said:

A very harsh assessment I feel. A lovely ball into Waghorn for the first today. He is a tidy player, maybe not a ‘get off your seat, wow player’ but tidy. I think there is more to come and look forward to seeing what he can deliver.

Football is about partnerships not necessarily the individual. The sooner some start to realise this rather than target individuals the better. 

We had some brilliant individuals last year - Mount, Wilson and Tomori would cost a fortune, but we still came 6th. Individually the new loans may not be as eye catching, but could yet prove to be more effective on the whole. 

Where's the harsh assessment?

I stated he was a very nice neat and tidy player, which you obviously agree with, as you've used similar terms yourself.

I simply asked what use to the team is he the answer to?

He's not box to box, he's not a defensive midfielder, he's not Ray Wilkins style recycler of possession, so what is he, and how will it help us?

It's a genuine question, I'm keen to read what posters think he can offer us and whether people think that offsets the drawbacks to his game?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If he was bought in to replace Mason Mount then God help us.

We needed to desperately replace Tomori, Wilson and Mount.

Tomori has been replaced and what a wonderful replacement it is.

Mount has not been replaced in any shape or form and we didn't seem to bother trying to replace Wilson.

Shame.

Shame?

Surely you are happy with our start given that we are supposedly only playing with players?

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Shame?

Surely you are happy with our start given that we are supposedly only playing with players?

Very happy, I didn't know where our first win would come from, so to have 5 points from a possible 9 is great.

I am very intrigued to see how we get on against an established championship side in Bristol City on Tuesday, I expect them to be a bigger test than a low in confidence Stoke or Huddersfield, that is when we will see just what we are about.

The only reason why I say shame is because as with every single season, we are a couple of players short of having a team capable of challenging for the top 2 spaces imo, would have been brilliant for Rooney to be walking into a side brimming with confidence and gunning for Automatic Promotion (assuming that isn't the case).

This thread is depressing. 

Another insight into why we as fans simply do not deserve success. Player written off by mid August must be a new record. 

Anyway lets hope the bloke with 3 eredivisie titles as a manager knows more about football than some of our fans ?

32 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

This thread is depressing. 

Another insight into why we as fans simply do not deserve success. Player written off by mid August must be a new record. 

Anyway lets hope the bloke with 3 eredivisie titles as a manager knows more about football than some of our fans ?

It is depressing when you put it that way.

It's depressing that the merit or otherwise of players can't be debated without someone saying players are being written off by mid August, when no one on the thread has stated that, as far as I can see.

Try reading what's been written, rather than what you thinks been written.

7 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It's depressing that the merit or otherwise of players can't be debated without someone saying players are being written off by mid August, when no one on the thread has stated that, as far as I can see.

I think the issue is that the opening question can easily be read as a negative, even if not the intention.

Regardless, can't expect any kind of informed discussion on a player who has played 3 matches for us. Neat and tidy and let's see what else he can bring.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Very happy, I didn't know where our first win would come from, so to have 5 points from a possible 9 is great.

I am very intrigued to see how we get on against an established championship side in Bristol City on Tuesday, I expect them to be a bigger test than a low in confidence Stoke or Huddersfield, that is when we will see just what we are about.

The only reason why I say shame is because as with every single season, we are a couple of players short of having a team capable of challenging for the top 2 spaces imo, would have been brilliant for Rooney to be walking into a side brimming with confidence and gunning for Automatic Promotion (assuming that isn't the case).

Well if we are a couple of players short this season why did we not challenge for top 2 last season?

Could it be that we have no idea how we will get on?

I despair if people think game 4 of a 46 game season will show us 'what we are about'.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

You've couched your response that you're very happy only because you had such an artificially low expectation at the start of the season.

Every team in the division can say if only we had 2 more players in these positions, you make the Championship sound like it's the NFL with each team getting its picks.

At the start of the season the consensus on here was that we needed a goalkeeper, winger and holding midfield player which we have brought in but that doesn't seem to be enough for some folks they obviously wanted a completely new team. 

40 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Yep. 

As always the 'anti' faction is as exasperating as whatever they're against because they too are looking for any excuse.

It's in the Tom Lawrence thread too. 

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Where's the harsh assessment?

I stated he was a very nice neat and tidy player, which you obviously agree with, as you've used similar terms yourself.

I simply asked what use to the team is he the answer to?

He's not box to box, he's not a defensive midfielder, he's not Ray Wilkins style recycler of possession, so what is he, and how will it help us?

It's a genuine question, I'm keen to read what posters think he can offer us and whether people think that offsets the drawbacks to his game?

I feel like this thread should be more about George Evans then dowell. I just can’t work out what his strengths are. Whereas dowell I think is certainly more creative. 

35 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

You've couched your response that you're very happy only because you had such an artificially low expectation at the start of the season.

Every team in the division can say if only we had 2 more players in these positions, you make the Championship sound like it's the NFL with each team getting its picks.

At the start of the season the consensus on here was that we needed a goalkeeper, winger and holding midfield player which we have brought in but that doesn't seem to be enough for some folks they obviously wanted a completely new team. 

Who is this winger you speak of? How did he do yesterday?

1 hour ago, BondJovi said:

I think the issue is that the opening question can easily be read as a negative, even if not the intention.

Regardless, can't expect any kind of informed discussion on a player who has played 3 matches for us. Neat and tidy and let's see what else he can bring.

Fair enough.

40 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yep. 

As always the 'anti' faction is as exasperating as whatever they're against because they too are looking for any excuse.

It's in the Tom Lawrence thread too. 

I can see the point in letting players have 15 games before we debate them in any way, I just don't see why we can't talk about them before that point with the obvious caveat that they've not had enough games.

If they turn it around then well done, if they don't then what's the problem, it's not like a bunch of people discussing them has predispositioned the outcome.

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I can see the point in letting players have 15 games before we debate them in any way, I just don't see why we can't talk about them before that point with the obvious caveat that they've not had enough games.

If they turn it around then well done, if they don't then what's the problem, it's not like a bunch of people discussing them has predispositioned the outcome.

Yep. 

It's not like you've said "Dowell is not good enough" 

We're talking about how he's played in 3 games. Well aware that it's 3 games. Just like Bielik on Tuesday looked promising in an hour and a half. Should we ignore that until he's played 15 games? 

Don't see how it hurts to talk about the early impression. 

But if I was you I'd not post until we've played 15 games. The forum shouldn't even be open until October

On 17/08/2019 at 20:40, Jourdan said:

When he first signed, I thought it was an underwhelming one. He had squad player written all over him.

In the two games I've seen, I haven't seen very much from him to change that view.

But by the same token, it's a long season and we have played four games in total.

The signs aren't promising, but maybe he needs one game and one performance to kickstart his season.

Yep, need to give the guy a chance. Trust the manager on this one. 

Archived