If Kieran Dowell is the answer, what is the question?

Rev

A very harsh assessment I feel. A lovely ball into Waghorn for the first today. He is a tidy player, maybe not a ‘get off your seat, wow player’ but tidy. I think there is more to come and look forward to seeing what he can deliver.

Football is about partnerships not necessarily the individual. The sooner some start to realise this rather than target individuals the better. 

We had some brilliant individuals last year - Mount, Wilson and Tomori would cost a fortune, but we still came 6th. Individually the new loans may not be as eye catching, but could yet prove to be more effective on the whole. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he's a cracking player. Comfortable on the ball under pressure, with an eye for an attacking pass. Liked him when he came here with forest and I think he'll do very well for us this season. Can't really understand the negativity. 

I think he’s looked a steady player so far, gets stuck in, tidy feet on the ball and always looking to drive forward out of our half.

Think he’d shine more with another attack minded midfielder next to him not two CDM’s, maybe when Holmes comes back into the team. Reminds me of a Hendrick without his Hughes at the minute. 

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Who’s the only player that’s a bigger Pussy than Harry Wilson in English footballer?

In all seriousness, I think he’s shown he’s got some technical quality, his touch is excellent. Trouble is he’s shown little quality other than that. I’ve never rated him and thought he was a poor signing- he’s not shown anything to change that view so far. But he’s shown he’s got something in him so deserves a chance to show what he can do, he’s been far from our worst player so far.

????

10 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If he was bought in to replace Mason Mount then God help us.

We needed to desperately replace Tomori, Wilson and Mount.

Tomori has been replaced and what a wonderful replacement it is.

Mount has not been replaced in any shape or form and we didn't seem to bother trying to replace Wilson.

Shame.

Get the impression you think that England and Wales internationals grow on trees

You seem to have conveniently forgotten that England's top goalscorer will be joining us in January 

37 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Get the impression you think that England and Wales internationals grow on trees

You seem to have conveniently forgotten that England's top goalscorer will be joining us in January 

Nothing to do with growing on trees, I'm saying we haven't replaced Mount, or even close to replacing him and with Wilson we didn't seem to try too much.

Rooney joining in Jan is great, doesn't help us now though does it?

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Nothing to do with growing on trees, I'm saying we haven't replaced Mount, or even close to replacing him and with Wilson we didn't seem to try too much.

My point was did you realistically expect that we replace 2 internationals over the summer with 2 more internationals?

We probably didn't try too hard as players like that aren't just kicking around waiting for their parent clubs to loan them out or come at a high premium which we wouldnt have been able to afford.

Think criticism of Dowell is very premature. Firstly, I think he's suffering a bit from having 2 deep lying midfielders & 2 fairly inconsistent wingers alongside him. There's quite a gap from Huddlestone & Evans to him currently - a box to box midfielder around him would free up some space for him/give him some options, as would wingers showing consistent menace. Once Bielek starts, I think there will be room for a Shinnie/Knight/Holmes type who will play closer to Dowell.

Secondly, as others have pointed out on here, neither Tomori or Harry Wilson were that impressive in our first few games last year. It takes time to adapt to a new team, that in itself is under new management. Dowell has already shown glimpses of his talent (including yesterday's assist) so has started fine for me.

I think there's a player there but as the most advanced midfielder I feel he's suffering a little from the front line being a work in progress and I think he'll prove his worth over time as players and patterns of play become more settled.

I suspect that he's not helping himself with some fans though with some occasional lax play.  I'm not sure I can remember the last time I saw a professional footballer do an air kick* but I suppose it can happen.  His set piece delivery lacks consistency too but the one that jarred me yesterday was when he got caught offside on a return ball from a corner.

If he is going to step up and play an integral part in a promotion winning team he needs to realise that he has to be switched on for the full 90 minutes not just eighty four.

*Thinking about it the last time I saw an air kick probably involved a coffee cup ?

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Are you Sam Rush, or some simple soul from an outlying village?

4 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If he was bought in to replace Mason Mount then God help us.

We needed to desperately replace Tomori, Wilson and Mount.

Tomori has been replaced and what a wonderful replacement it is.

Mount has not been replaced in any shape or form and we didn't seem to bother trying to replace Wilson.

Shame.

Mount was clearly a cut above, we were never getting like for like replacement. What we have instead is a good player, under (i think) better management.

8 minutes ago, Needlesh said:

Mount was clearly a cut above, we were never getting like for like replacement. What we have instead is a good player, under (i think) better management.

I think you've summed it up in a nutshell. Anyone hankering after a like for like replacement is gonna be left disappointed. We were lucky get such a talent and moving forward we need to find a system that negates his loss and not a direct replacement. I think and hope that Cocu is an astute enough manager to come up with a system/systems that make us less reliant on individuals and a more rounded unit. It's gonna be interesting to watch it unfold.

Archived