If Kieran Dowell is the answer, what is the question?

Rev

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not against Dowell. He's our most talented midfielder, which is the more worrying question. I'm hoping that Holmes can build on what he showed last season then maybe that won't be the case. No doubt that we're lacking quality in that area of the pitch, similarly out wide. 

For me, we need to scrap our wingers, make sure Marriott & Waghorn are on the pitch together and build around that. I can only see more frustrating performances from those areas of the pitch otherwise. 

I feel there’s going to be some over reactions on both sides of the argument here.

From what I’ve seen of Dowell so far, there’s a very impressive footballer there without necessarily standing out. My overall feeling is that I’d like to see him getting the ball in and around the opposition box and maybe not worrying about coming deep to retrieve the ball. Essentially he should be the link up between the attackers rather than doing most of his work as an actual midfielder. That’s maybe a problem with how the team is currently set up rather than Dowell himself.

Very good player, needs the confidence (or arrogance) to stick further forward

Maybe just to point something out.

I don’t think anyone is scape goating here, it’s good to have a debate over a player no matter where it is in the season. No ones saying he’s a bad player, it’s more about what we think he provides.

By saying this is scape goating a player only creates a self fulfilling prophecy. Or that weird thing when he hits form in a few games time people will post ‘remember when everyone thought he was rubbish’, which again wasn’t really the case in the first place

Dowell didnt impress in the first 2 games, but he looked great for the first 15-20 minutes today. If we can settle on a first 11/formation I'm sure he will come good - just need him to do it for the entire match next time.

Other than the defenders and Lawrence  who has stood out this season? It’s too early to be making judgements. I think  Dowell has done ok when I’ve seen him and after just watching the first goal back, Dowell was instrumental in both the build up and final assist.

So far he’s a solid 6.5 out of 10 and I think once the system and personnel becomes more established he’ll improve and will thrive. He’s proven at this level as he showed at Forest in a poor side (though he was inconsistent at times). 

He is not Mason Mount, which is maybe the problem here.

Who’s the only player that’s a bigger Pussy than Harry Wilson in English footballer?

In all seriousness, I think he’s shown he’s got some technical quality, his touch is excellent. Trouble is he’s shown little quality other than that. I’ve never rated him and thought he was a poor signing- he’s not shown anything to change that view so far. But he’s shown he’s got something in him so deserves a chance to show what he can do, he’s been far from our worst player so far.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Who’s the only player that’s a bigger Pussy than Harry Wilson in English footballer?

In all seriousness, I think he’s shown he’s got some technical quality, his touch is excellent. Trouble is he’s shown little quality other than that. I’ve never rated him and thought he was a poor signing- he’s not shown anything to change that view so far. But he’s shown he’s got something in him so deserves a chance to show what he can do 

I think you have contradicted yourself about 300 times in this post 

1 hour ago, ck- said:

I do think it's a little early to be writing his season off. It's a step up for him and will take a while for him to find his feet, to understand the pace and strength of the championship, and to adapt. If after 12-15 games he's still making the same mistakes, I'll be worried. At the moment I think I can see a good player in there, so let's get behind him.

How is it a step up when he was at a team that finished 2nd last season?  

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

No, I made a joke, then said I thought he was a poor signing and he’s been poor in general- but he’s shown potential so deserves a chance. No contradiction 

I don’t understand how he can’t have shown ANYTHING to make you think he might be an alright signing, whilst also showing he has quality and an excellent touch? 

Your opinion that he has shown quality and an excellent touch but has also shown absolutely nothing to make you think he’ll be okay doesn’t make any sense whatsoever and is a contradiction ?

13 minutes ago, GadFly said:

How is it a step up when he was at a team that finished 2nd last season?  

I didn't think he played very often. Maybe I misread. I think he made 8 starts and 8 sub appearances, so he was a supporting player.

We look to have bought him to step into Mount's place and be a main player for us. That's what I meant by the step up - to being a first team regular with all the associated pressure.

20 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I don’t understand how he can’t have shown ANYTHING to make you think he might be an alright signing, whilst also showing he has quality and an excellent touch? 

Your opinion that he has shown quality and an excellent touch but has also shown absolutely nothing to make you think he’ll be okay doesn’t make any sense whatsoever and is a contradiction ?

He’s not shown enough yet then... regardless his performances haven’t changed my view that he was a poor signing.... but it’s onky 3 games so it’s too early to judge when he’s obviously got something. No need for the pedantics, I’m a few pints down

You know how you get moaners that moan as soon as a bad pass is made, you get annoying anti moaners that moan as soon as something negative is said. 

I mean, if the view is negative without condemning someone then could it not be seen as a discussion?

If you see the words "Dowell is not good enough" then fair enough. It's harsh. 

But it's hard to discuss how the players are playing 15 games into the season when we've played 3. And my gut feeling is a thread about things to see in Stoke On Trent isn't going to be very interesting.

Archived