What are the chances

dog

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not going to happen. Our record breaking season is absolutely fascinating because it was a perfect storm of poor decisions that led to an almost inconceivably poor points total. 11 points is absurdly low. I maintain that if you just stuck a random league 2 side in the Premier League, they'd have a good chance of getting more points than we did.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Eh?

Exactly what it says... on paper Sheffield Uniteds team doesn’t exactly have many stunning individuals that you’d consider premier league quality and want us signing if we went up. But they have a manager that’s gets the best out of them as a team and that’s why they’ll easily be clear of our record... Wilder is a brilliant manager

3 hours ago, cannable said:

I mean, if you extrapolate his PPG we’d have reached 16 points ??‍♀️

And we wouldn’t have sold Oakley for a box of tea bags and a blowie!

Previous PPG record goes out the window when you sign the likes of Calamity Claude & Eddie ‘*******’ Lewis...

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Previous PPG record goes out the window when you sign the likes of Calamity Claude & Eddie ‘*******’ Lewis...

This is true. And I'm definitely not a paid up member of the King Billy fan club (far from it). But I don't imagine that he'd have done worse than Jewell. Things were royally screwed up from top to bottom so neither would've achieved much. But maybe we'd have had a point or two more under Billy. Certainly no fewer, that's for sure.

On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 19:09, dog said:

Of any team in the premiership beating our record from that season?

Maybe false hope, but Newcastle seem a little ....disjointed

And Steve Bruce still looks like a nice dinner lady

More pudden?

Do you remember in that season us singing "can we play you every week" at St James Park

I think from memory, did we do the double over newcastle

28 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Do you remember in that season us singing "can we play you every week" at St James Park

I think from memory, did we do the double over newcastle

No, we only won once all season. We should have done the double over them though. Newcastle away was one of the only games in the entire season where we actually outplayed the opposition, but Viduka scored out of nothing from outside the area to earn a 2-2 draw. I suppose we can't really complain about goals from nothing though, considering Miller's strike in the home game.

I think Newcastle might be the only team that failed to beat us that season.

13 minutes ago, Anon said:

No, we only won once all season. We should have done the double over them though. Newcastle away was one of the only games in the entire season where we actually outplayed the opposition, but Viduka scored out of nothing from outside the area to earn a 2-2 draw. I suppose we can't really complain about goals from nothing though, considering Miller's strike in the home game.

I think Newcastle might be the only team that failed to beat us that season.

Fulham didn't either, we got two draws against them

Newcastle and Fulham were the only sides not to beat us during that season. We picked up over half our points total in four games.

We were the worst team in the league, no question, but I think we were unlucky to finish on 11 points. There were numerous games which we either lost or drew where we were unlucky not to come away with more - Portsmouth, Wigan, Middlesbrough, Bolton, Liverpool and Blackburn at home immediately spring to mind.

I don’t think we helped ourselves - neither Gadsby (and friends) nor GSE really adequately backed the managers in charge, and the lack of continuity did not help.

I think Huddersfield last season is the closest any team will come. Norwich and Sheffield United this season will be fine - there are plenty of winnable games for both teams. 

1 hour ago, TibshelfRam said:

This is true. And I'm definitely not a paid up member of the King Billy fan club (far from it). But I don't imagine that he'd have done worse than Jewell. Things were royally screwed up from top to bottom so neither would've achieved much. But maybe we'd have had a point or two more under Billy. Certainly no fewer, that's for sure.

I remember Michael Johnson co-commentating on the Derby- Ipswich game when Ipswich gave him the push .  Reckoned it couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.  Went on to say the squad realised the didn't realistically have enough to stay up after 8-9 games before he went out on loan.  Reckoned the players at the club were constantly going on about Jewell making it ten times harder to get points by making them do double training sessions all week as punishment for losing- which was all the time.   By the time the last third of the season came round they had nothing left physically and started getting thumped every game . Reckons his few weeks under Jewell were the most depressing  he endured as a player and he couldn't wait to get away on loan again.   It really all came out in one go - he detested the bloke.

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Newcastle and Fulham were the only sides not to beat us during that season. We picked up over half our points total in four games.

We were the worst team in the league, no question, but I think we were unlucky to finish on 11 points. There were numerous games which we either lost or drew where we were unlucky not to come away with more - Portsmouth, Wigan, Middlesbrough, Bolton, Liverpool and Blackburn at home immediately spring to mind.

I don’t think we helped ourselves - neither Gadsby (and friends) nor GSE really adequately backed the managers in charge, and the lack of continuity did not help.

I think Huddersfield last season is the closest any team will come. Norwich and Sheffield United this season will be fine - there are plenty of winnable games for both teams. 

Missed at least two pens in games we drew . Should have beat Chelsea at home but lost - both goals offside.

Saying that didn't have the best chance with these beauty's plus the likes of Fagan and Barnes injury

29 June 2007 – Robert Earnshaw – £3.5m, from Norwich City[21]

4 July 2007 – Tyrone Mears – £1m, from West Ham United[22]

7 July 2007 – Andy Todd – £750k, from Blackburn Rovers[23]

10 July 2007 – Ben Hinchliffe – free transfer[24]         - who the hell is this guy .

25 July 2007 – Claude Davis – £3m, from Sheffield United[25]

26 July 2007 – Lewis Price – undisclosed, from Ipswich Town[26]

1 August 2007 – Andy Griffin – free transfer from Portsmouth[27]

10 August 2007 – Benny Feilhaber – undisclosed, from Hamburg- He attended Nottingham Country Elementary school- a very bad start

20 August 2007 – Eddie Lewis – undisclosed, from Leeds United[29]

31 August 2007 – Kenny Miller – £2.25m, from Celtic[30]

59 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Missed at least two pens in games we drew . Should have beat Chelsea at home but lost - both goals offside.

Saying that didn't have the best chance with these beauty's plus the likes of Fagan and Barnes injury

10 July 2007 – Ben Hinchliffe – free transfer[24]         - who the hell is this guy .

10 August 2007 – Benny Feilhaber – undisclosed, from Hamburg- He attended Nottingham Country Elementary school- a very bad start

I think the first problem was that the spine and the heartbeat of the team were already past their peak. 

We had Moore - Oakley - Howard as the spine. All very experienced, all model professionals, but probably not having enough in the tank to have a good crack at the PL.

Then of course we had young players like Mears, Leacock, David Jones and Barnes who we expected more from and they never really reached their potential.

I suspect it would have still been fine if we had continued to build the squad with young and hungry players wanting to prove themselves.

But the strategy was the opposite - poor and short sighted. Todd, Griffin, Lewis in the summer first of all, and then Savage, Mills, Stubbs, Carroll, Robert in the winter window summed the club up.

One thing I will say is that Earnshaw and Claude Davis seemed pretty shrewd signings at the time. Claude was a standout for Preston in the Championship and then gave a good account of himself with Sheffield United in the PL. Equally, Earnshaw seemed to score wherever he went. Of course they didn’t work out, but you could see the thinking behind them.

That said, generally we didn’t spend enough and we didn’t target the right profile of player and we didn’t have the organisation, spirit, character, harmony or stability within the club to make up for that.

Norwich and Sheffield United may lack quality in areas but they will make up for it in areas we didn’t.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Hinchcliffe was a Goalkeeper as far as i remember

2 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

Or even Leicester City!

Or even Derby County and that's pretty much what it will take to wipe the smirk off of rival fan's and neutral's faces regarding that excruciating humiliating shameful season we will otherwise never be allowed to forget.  Instead of dragging us down though, it should fill everyone connected with the club with a real hunger for success.

Archived