Sign in to follow this  
PhilGeeWasMyIdol

Best forward line you've seen play for Derby

19 hours ago, NorwichExile said:

Sturridge and Gabbiadini, with Ashley Ward and big Ron Willems rotating in. As a young-un, I've never been more excited to see us go forwards.

Baiano/Wanchope was class and unpredictability personified, but it never matched Studgers wow factor for little me.

My sentiments too although I think it was Simpson rotating with Willems in the hole behind the front 2. When Ward came in just before the deadline we lost a bit of fire upfront and he didn't score until the last game of the season. It was an incredibly exciting time and I remember going to watch Igor's debut and being hammered by Tranmere. After that we didn't lose for months and the goals were flying in.

7 hours ago, PhilGeeWasMyIdol said:

Slightly peeved at the lack of love for the Gee/Davison combo, I'll grant you it was lower league and a while back but those boys could destroy defences and paint sheds for fun. Anyone else got some love for these two? As a combo there wasn't much better ( other than those suggested but not Hulse)

Scored goals for fun them two a great time to be a Ram with Arthur Cox in charge.

8 hours ago, PhilGeeWasMyIdol said:

Slightly peeved at the lack of love for the Gee/Davison combo, I'll grant you it was lower league and a while back but those boys could destroy defences and paint sheds for fun. Anyone else got some love for these two? As a combo there wasn't much better ( other than those suggested but not Hulse)

You're quite correct that they deserve a mention. They were pivotal in bringing some joy back into the lives of us Rams. A pretty potent combo on their day but I have to say that Saunders and Goddard are still my favoured pairing. 

On 15/08/2019 at 21:58, mozza said:

Swindles and Biley were a fun watch...

That was my immediate thought, upon the seeing the thread title.  Word for word!  LOL!

*Actually not word for word, as I had Biley down first, and gave "Swindles" his full surname!!  :-)

Saunders-Goddard was my first decent pairing watching live, liked mick Harford when he came in too

then it was Davison mk2 with ormondroyd but the most exciting was the wanchope/sturridge/baino era and as others said the kuqi led front line had potential until commons was sold for a pittance

17 hours ago, EranioIsGod said:

I'm 32. I know exactly how you feel

36 but the same feeling 

Sturridge and Wanchope because of when I grew up. Little did I know that would be the peak for the next 20 years....

On 16/08/2019 at 12:22, IlsonDerby said:

Clough dropped this guy... 

In all fairness to Clough, which isn't easy for me to say, Bueno went completely off the boil after he got a kicking at Burnley on a freezing cold January day.

That said that brief period when that front 4 combined was brilliant. 

20 hours ago, PhilGeeWasMyIdol said:

I loved em!👍

11 hours ago, RamNut said:

Agree that swindlehurst and biley were a great combo. 

They seem to have become somewhat forgotten.

Maybe because they played so few games together?

Biley scored 19 goals in total for Derby, so hardly deserves to be up with some of the others.

It was he and Swindles who prompted the 'We'll be back in 81' t-shirts (one of which I bought) because they looked so good toward the end of the season.

Alas, we didn't go back in 81 and he ducked off to Everton.

21 hours ago, PhilGeeWasMyIdol said:

I agree that at the lower level they were awesome. They terrorised defenses and both scored some great goals.

I can remember Kenny Dalglish being sat in the directors box right in front of us in B Stand for a night match and the word was he was watching Gee.

Gee did duck all and Dalglish left with 20 minutes or so to go.

Then Phil picked up the ball somewhere in the Normanton end and went the length of the pitch to score a cracker.

It probably wasn't quite that good, but even now I wonder if Dalglish had seen that (no TV from every angle in those days kids) Gee had been on his way to Liverpool.

Saunders and Goddard probably the best in my lifetime but I never saw them play.

In terms of watching live, Baiano Wanchope and Sturridge no question, with my favourite all time player Eranio linking from Midfield or Wing Back.