v Stoke City (A) Match thread

Parsnip

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Think I'd like to see Marriott start if we're going to keep playing the 4-2-3-1.

He scored all his goals for Peterborough in that system with Madison feeding him from behind in the 10 role.

Isn’t it mad how Peterborough seem to have an endless supply of forwards and midfielders ripe for Championship or even the Prem, score 150 goals a season and collect 100+ points and yet cannot get out of that league?

And we all know that if they did, they’d go straight back down, yet somehow score more than many top half sides.

15 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Isn’t it mad how Peterborough seem to have an endless supply of forwards and midfielders ripe for Championship or even the Prem, score 150 goals a season and collect 100+ points and yet cannot get out of that league?

And we all know that if they did, they’d go straight back down, yet somehow score more than many top half sides.

They seem a bit like Crewe used to be, no end of promising players, but always sold on to keep the club healthy instead of building something bigger but less viable long term.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Jozefzoon on the other hand has been criticised for not doing much

"fun" fact: only Marriott(5) had less touches than Jozefzoon(21) for us against Swansea, including Evans(27), Paterson(also 21) and Lowe(39). He also made the least passes other than Marriott. 

11 minutes ago, rynny said:

"fun" fact: only Marriott(5) had less touches than Jozefzoon(21) for us against Swansea, including Evans(27), Paterson(also 21) and Lowe(39). He also made the least passes other than Marriott. 

That wasn’t very fun in the end ?

1 hour ago, rynny said:

And I thought at the time that he'd not played very well really but I watched it back over the last couple of days and when he picks the ball up he holds it up really well. 

Dowell was involved in the build up more often but when it came to the final third I thought he was poor

imo I thought Jozefzoon had less of the ball but was far less wasteful with it. He also had less time on the pitch than Dowell. 

I'm not saying he was fantastic. He brought others into the game better. He was involved in a couple of our best moves and him and Lawrence involved in our best chance from open play where Jozefzoon had a shot saved. 

The problem with Jozefzoon is I'm not quite sure where he skips off to sometimes. He is either really good at pulling markers with him or he's hiding out. Often the ball is on his side and he's MIA. 

I expect Paterson to win over a lot of fans because of his action man style. He always gets in amongst it. I just don't expect much quality when it comes to releasing the ball. He might shine more when we need to press high up or we are playing on the counter. I can see why Cocu might make good use of him. That's the only reason I'm thinking he might be a good signing. As a winger in your typical Pride Park match where we are tasked with breaking teams down I think he'll just be a frustrating grafter

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Their squad is always better than the sum of their manager.

That's their problem, in my opinion. 

Archived