v Stoke City (A) Match thread

Parsnip

I’d prefer 2 wins but think you’re right. We’ve been talking about our tough opening fixtures, well that’s 3 down and we haven’t lost.

i’m looking  Forward to Holmes coming back, I am not sure Shinnie has been given enough to chew on, I think with his current set up he is seeing Marriott as game changing impact rather than starter. 

With the results so far I see no reason to doubt his choices  

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, philmycocu said:

Canna wait to have Bogle and Lowe at fullbacks! Max MOTM for me today.

Yes that would be good. Probably the best young full back pairing in the ch'ship. However in terms of general defending, the two goals conceded against Stoke were really poor. Cocu needs to address the defensive issues that are being carried over from last season. 

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Game on it is then: as others have mentioned, there were numerous off-the-ball fouls which took a forward running player out of the build up which went un-notice, and it was the same Stoke [p;layers doing it. Lawrence was pulled back early on with an arm around the throat, but nothing given, yet Stoke were able to dive and get free-kicks. He booked Malone for his first offence, although it was rather a silly thing to do, but didn't bat an eyelid when a Stoke man kicked the ball away, and so it went on. He wasn't good, but made a number of errors in our favour as well. The peno was soft, but having given it, should have carded the Stoke man, who was already on a yellow. And the fracas: Josefzoon went in for the tackle and the two players tangled. He went to the Stoke man and held his hand out, but as he did, Joe Allen (him again!) shoved him in the back making him clatter into his opponent, hence the blow up. Lawrence leapt in as he is wont to do. He was rightly booked, but so was Josefzoon, even though the orginal tackle wasn't  foul, but suffered a push in the back from Allen, who should have been booked but wasn't. He was the one who provoked Bradley Johnson's biting incident, running half the pitch to shove him, and then bit Bradley first - there was a clear bite mark on Johnson's shoulder. But got away with it, although why Johnson, and DCFC themselves, didn't make anything of the bite on Johnson's shoulder beats me. So Allen has form, and should have been cautioned today. But yet again, Josefzoon was carded for his first offence, which is a bit rich given it was him that kept being clattered to the ground for much of the match without so much as a free-kick. 

Sorry Mafiabob, the reffing was poor, but what should we expect, the football season has started. We clearly have very different views on match officaldom, and long may it continue. We both have a heart for our wonderful football club which, after all the opinions have disappeared into the ether, is all that matters.

Go on Dave, sock it to 'em

1 hour ago, europia said:

However in terms of general defending, the two goals conceded against Stoke were really poor. Cocu needs to address the defensive issues that are being carried over from last season. 

The only two goals we’ve conceded in open play this season you mean? I don’t think there is too much wrong. 

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Waghorn and Lawrence wings, Marriott down the middle. Although Cocu will somehow believe Flojo brings more...

I would be quite staggered if Cocu might think he knows better than you. Show him your badges Rammieib.

27 minutes ago, admira said:

The only two goals we’ve conceded in open play this season you mean? I don’t think there is too much wrong. 

The second goal was a result of us changing to a back 3. The ball went into the channel, out of reach of the defenders. Roos should have come out for it, but stayed on his line leaving the Stoke players unchallenged in loads of room.

We aren't there yet, but we are a lot nearer to "there" than I thought we would be, with plenty to like already, and plenty to come.

Yes that would be good. Probably the best young full back pairing in the ch'ship. However in terms of general defending, the two goals conceded against Stoke were really poor. Cocu needs to address the defensive issues that are being carried over from last season. 

Sorry but I have to question Roos . A header on the 6 yard line and - as is often the case- he was rooted on his line. He could have come and punched. Needs to command his area better- it’s his real weakness.

35 minutes ago, admira said:

They were sloppy goals to concede though. Ironically when they scored the second we had a defender right near him- but not marking properly.

Sith Happens
5 hours ago, Danelaw Rams said:

Yes he was the worst player today! I felt sorry for Lowe playing out of position  with zoon on the same wing. No effort,  no closing down, and quick to throw his arms up and point at other Derby players to deflect his bad positioning and work rate.

In your opinion which i dont agree with 

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

Yeah I think Dowell has good ability I'm just not sure why he looks to be struggling. The set pieces v Swansea were those moments where you say it's just not good enough. 

He should follow the advice that Cocu gave Clarke. Just get a feel for the ball and start knocking it about. Grow into the games. 

As a counter argument on Dowell, can you remember how Wilson and Tomori played in the first three games last year? 

Sometimes it takes a player, particularly a loan player a bit of time to find their feet and get going.

Think what he needs is a goalie who isn't terrified to come off his line to claim a ball. He's about 6'3.

27 minutes ago, caymanram said:

Sorry but I have to question Roos . A header on the 6 yard line and - as is often the case- he was rooted on his line. He could have come and punched. Needs to command his area better- it’s his real weakness.

For me Roos, is the weak link in our back 5, never comes off his line at corners, and is also average at shop stopping, think in the end he will lose the number one jersey.

Archived