v Stoke City (A) Match thread

Parsnip

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

As long as you think so then that's the main thing though.

It’s Saturday night, get on the town 

58 minutes ago, Alpha said:

To be fair you can't replace Mount. Nobody knew just how good he would be.

But yeah, we've taken a big hit on him and Wilson. 

I wouldn't mind Dowell if Lawrence was less greedy. I wouldn't mind Lawrence if Dowell was more reliable. 

But as pair and then you add Jozefzoon you've got a trio of free spirits. Jozefzoon manages to vanish a lot. Lawrence to be fair to him is willing to dig us out a bit in between his greedy selfish play. But Dowell is just pure luxury. He looks like a player expecting it all his own way. He's not doing the basics well. 

Maybe he's trying hard to impress. Maybe it's exaggerated because he's got Jozefzoon and Lawrence. 

As a 3 they look disjointed and do what they want. I can see Cocu breaking them up now. 

Lawrence should be fine because he is capable of producing something.

Jozefzoon and Dowell should be worried about their place. 

(This isn't me sharpening my knife. They have a whole season to come back into it)

I think Dowell needs to start doing the simple things well as he looks quite frustrating so far. You can tell there’s a player in there but sometimes he will do something so ordinary you just think that’s not good enough. Having said that we look good in patches although I still worry about us defending crosses but this season is going to be a good watch with the odd hiccup on the way.

12 minutes ago, Norman said:

Horrendously steaming. Just got back.

Dowell poor.

Went to the toilet twice. Missed both Stoke goals.

Can't add a lot.

Apologies.

If you missed today's game I think Norman's match report is sufficient analysis

3 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

I think Dowell needs to start doing the simple things well as he looks quite frustrating so far. You can tell there’s a player in there but sometimes he will do something so ordinary you just think that’s not good enough. Having said that we look good in patches although I still worry about us defending crosses but this season is going to be a good watch with the odd hiccup on the way.

Yeah I think Dowell has good ability I'm just not sure why he looks to be struggling. The set pieces v Swansea were those moments where you say it's just not good enough. 

He should follow the advice that Cocu gave Clarke. Just get a feel for the ball and start knocking it about. Grow into the games. 

28 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I was sticking up for you, you daft t**t. Oh and it’s 50 years this season for me following Derby so take your puny 45 years and shove them up your arse. ?

Oh....sorry pearl Ram ?.....50 years! You old spunker!..  I'd keep that to myself ?

48 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Any of our previous managers would have lost. Cocu changed the system and got a good draw from a very tough game. We’ve lost about 14 players and the three loanees were our best. It’s a work in progress and I’m happy seeing Knight, Lowe in the team and still picking up points. This season won’t be easy but I think we will progress as a club over the next few. Every other manager eg rowett with older players and Lampard with loans has been looking at the present whereas Cocu is looking at the future and this takes time. The team and the club hasn’t progressed for years but now is the time and sometimes it takes time. 

It hasn't been a bad start to the season compared to past season when we had a fortuitous victory at Reading, were thrashed at home by Leeds and had a dire defeat by Millwall away. The current injuries don't help nor does the failure to replace Wilson adequately. However we won one more point at Stoke then we managed last season and a win on Tuesday will consolidate our position. Could have been better had Waghorn converted the penalty and the late opportunity against Stoke but it could have been worse-see Huddersfield.

2 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

Fans have been saying this for about 5 seasons."We'd have lost that game under Lampard"....then last season " We'd have lost that game under Rowett".... season before " We'd have lost that game under McLaren"...

We would have lost this game under our next manager

3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

I thought he controlled it well myself too..... I see the usuals are on the attack ?

Game on it is then: as others have mentioned, there were numerous off-the-ball fouls which took a forward running player out of the build up which went un-notice, and it was the same Stoke [p;layers doing it. Lawrence was pulled back early on with an arm around the throat, but nothing given, yet Stoke were able to dive and get free-kicks. He booked Malone for his first offence, although it was rather a silly thing to do, but didn't bat an eyelid when a Stoke man kicked the ball away, and so it went on. He wasn't good, but made a number of errors in our favour as well. The peno was soft, but having given it, should have carded the Stoke man, who was already on a yellow. And the fracas: Josefzoon went in for the tackle and the two players tangled. He went to the Stoke man and held his hand out, but as he did, Joe Allen (him again!) shoved him in the back making him clatter into his opponent, hence the blow up. Lawrence leapt in as he is wont to do. He was rightly booked, but so was Josefzoon, even though the orginal tackle wasn't  foul, but suffered a push in the back from Allen, who should have been booked but wasn't. He was the one who provoked Bradley Johnson's biting incident, running half the pitch to shove him, and then bit Bradley first - there was a clear bite mark on Johnson's shoulder. But got away with it, although why Johnson, and DCFC themselves, didn't make anything of the bite on Johnson's shoulder beats me. So Allen has form, and should have been cautioned today. But yet again, Josefzoon was carded for his first offence, which is a bit rich given it was him that kept being clattered to the ground for much of the match without so much as a free-kick. 

Sorry Mafiabob, the reffing was poor, but what should we expect, the football season has started. We clearly have very different views on match officaldom, and long may it continue. We both have a heart for our wonderful football club which, after all the opinions have disappeared into the ether, is all that matters.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

But as pair and then you add Jozefzoon you've got a trio of free spirits.

I think Jozefzoon looks more like he's been drinking free spirits. 

Having said that it's been a while since we had a player as balanced as him.

he's as bad going forward as he is defending.

24 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We all thought that the first 6 games looked tough. To be unbeaten after half of those is not bad at all?

Unbeaten against 3 parachute payment teams now. Only another 4 to go to get the set.

4 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

I don’t understand why Paterson didn’t start or at least come on today for the zoon. The zoon will have to play Tuesday as Paterson won’t be allowed ?

Waghorn and Lawrence wings, Marriott down the middle. Although Cocu will somehow believe Flojo brings more...

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

To be fair you can't replace Mount. Nobody knew just how good he would be.

But yeah, we've taken a big hit on him and Wilson. 

I wouldn't mind Dowell if Lawrence was less greedy. I wouldn't mind Lawrence if Dowell was more reliable. 

But as pair and then you add Jozefzoon you've got a trio of free spirits. Jozefzoon manages to vanish a lot. Lawrence to be fair to him is willing to dig us out a bit in between his greedy selfish play. But Dowell is just pure luxury. He looks like a player expecting it all his own way. He's not doing the basics well. 

Maybe he's trying hard to impress. Maybe it's exaggerated because he's got Jozefzoon and Lawrence. 

As a 3 they look disjointed and do what they want. I can see Cocu breaking them up now. 

Lawrence should be fine because he is capable of producing something.

Jozefzoon and Dowell should be worried about their place. 

(This isn't me sharpening my knife. They have a whole season to come back into it)

Can’t be worried about your place when there is no one to come in really...

I do feel Dowell will be better with better players around him. It might only be on paper but:

Bielik, Holmes, Dowell, Waggy, Lawrence and Marriott would be my front six when all are fit.

Sadly I remember reading that Cocu is not a very attack minded coach, preferring a defensive solidity and I think we’re seeing this already in his set up. It’s not a continuation of Lampard in playing style but may well be with the continued introduction of youth.

2 very difficult away games, taken 4 points. That's a cracking effort.

I know we all want more points, I just have a quiet confidence about this team. There's glimpses of our attacking play that looks phenomenal. New players down the spine of the team, a goalkeeper who's still finding his way in this division, new manager's tactics and style. Cocu knows our downfalls, he's not giving players a pat on the back for mistakes or pandering to the crowd. There's an understated presence about the manager, what he lacks in so called charisma, his analysis on games and tactics so far have been spot on. No manager can magically stop players making silly mistakes, it happens to every team in football. 

I don't think he'll stick with Flo Jo for much longer, I think that's Paterson's place if he can step up to the mark. He's already promoting youngsters on merit. Looks like Knight is ahead of Shinnie in the pecking order. All positive news, another win and a draw at home next week would do me just fine.

Archived