v Stoke City (A) Match thread

Parsnip

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huddlestone and Evans in midfield is too slow and immobile. We were getting overrun in midfield as those two couldn't get close enough to the ball before it was moved past them. 

We looked much better with Marriott. An absolute must that he starts on Tuesday.

Knight looked bright when he came on.

Max Lowe was terrific. Filling in admirably at right back. 

It's not often you give stick to a striker who scored 2 goals, but I didn't think Waggy was brilliant. Missed a sitter, and wasn't great in all round play.

Dowell looks promising, but it just isn't quite coming off for him yet. 

What does Flo offer? Genuinely. I don't see it. 

33 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Do you not think that Marriott not playing has less to do with him playing a worse team on purpose and more to do with the fact he’s had no pre-season?

I think Cocu does know his best team with the current players who are fit enough to start. The problem I think is that the team largely picks itself at the minute - we’re not blessed with options. Outside the starting XI, it’s a mixture of first teamers who aren’t fully fit and kids we want to blood in gently.

Yes definitely. I wasn’t criticising Cocu (even though it could read that way). Just an observation on his impact today. 

I dunno, drastically changing the formation at half time suggests to me anyway that he’s still experimenting - which is fine -, but he needs to find his best system and side quickly or we’ll end up with a Clement situation 

28 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

People need to relax Cocu has been here for a month he is still learning about his players and how they fit into different tactical formations and situations.

He can only get these answers from competitive games and the fact we are not losing them bodes well.It will take another six or seven games before we see the best of this team.

Agree, there is a calm atmosphere around the team and club atm, and it feels good in my opinion . 

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm not ruling him not good enough but I don't think Dowell is going to patch up much of the hole left by Mount or Wilson. 

He's not looking very good so far

Useful player to have but lack of Wilson and mount replacements big mistake.  Bad recruiting 

59 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I don’t think playing with 1 striker works when the wingers are so poor. Time for a change maybe ? 

Spot on,Get Waggy back on the roght to get marriott in the team,if we do need to chase a game we can then adobt a 4-4-2 without to much of a issue

Jozefzoon is poor and needs to be taken out the side and Lawrence needs to get involved more or he could be next

52 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Would have lost this last year probably.

Fans have been saying this for about 5 seasons."We'd have lost that game under Lampard"....then last season " We'd have lost that game under Rowett".... season before " We'd have lost that game under McLaren"...

1 hour ago, Remy the hare said:

I don’t understand why Paterson didn’t start or at least come on today for the zoon. The zoon will have to play Tuesday as Paterson won’t be allowed ?

You know, I thought about this driving back, I thought Flojo has offered little so far and whilst Lawrence is inconsistent, Flojo never looks like scoring nor on the same wavelength as his team mates.

So I just wonder if it crossed Cocu’s mind he wouldn’t have the option to play Paterson against Bristol so kept faith with Zoon, rather than knock his confidence back dropping him. If Zoon doesn’t play well against Bristol he will surely lose his place after.

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm not ruling him not good enough but I don't think Dowell is going to patch up much of the hole left by Mount or Wilson. 

He’s an odd one, appears to skirt around the edges of the game, there’s times when you can go 15 mins without really noticing him even though he may have touched the ball a number times.

Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing..........or my eyesights going! 

51 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I know its all about opinions, but for me he wasn't even the worst player today never 

Yes he was the worst player today! I felt sorry for Lowe playing out of position  with zoon on the same wing. No effort,  no closing down, and quick to throw his arms up and point at other Derby players to deflect his bad positioning and work rate.

1 minute ago, deanoakaram4life said:

3-5-2 is interesting and allows Waggy and Marriott to play together. The problem today was the lack of forward thinking midfielders. Evans and Huddlestone are too like-minded. The game was crying out for Dwaye Homes. Bennett would have also effected the game more than Jozefzoon. 

A midfield three of Beilik at the base with shinnie or dowell and Holmes or Lawrence would solve the mobility issue

7 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

Fans have been saying this for about 5 seasons."We'd have lost that game under Lampard"....then last season " We'd have lost that game under Rowett".... season before " We'd have lost that game under McLaren"...

We’d have lost away at stoke under all 3 of those managers....??

23 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Yes definitely. I wasn’t criticising Cocu (even though it could read that way). Just an observation on his impact today. 

I dunno, drastically changing the formation at half time suggests to me anyway that he’s still experimenting - which is fine -, but he needs to find his best system and side quickly or we’ll end up with a Clement situation 

Did the drastic change of formation work? 

39 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

So you agree then you haven't seen much football thought so 

How is  he agreeing he hasn't see much football? You asked him if he's been in prison, he said no and asked if you were at the game. I can't see the bit where he has agreed he hasn't seen much football in the response he gave. Unless I've missed something of course.

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Unless he's a world class player, I think no one player is capable of filling the gap left by the loss of two good pl from our midfield.

Mount and Wilson had the benefit of having each other for support in an other wise average midfield.

Until Dowell gets more support from other midfield players when we are attacking, then I don't think we will see the best of his abilities.

Archived