Open Letter to Derby Fans

JAT

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, atherstoneram said:

Like i posted earlier i don't have a problem with this sponsorship, it's money coming into the club,at the moment sponsorship from betting companies is legal. We are on the inside looking out so it's a win - win and looking at it in purely footballing/financial terms but there are people outside looking in who i ultimately fear (and don't have any interest in football whatsoever and couldn't give a toss that a club has to make money) will urge various government bodies that this sort of sponsorship needs looking at purely on the basis of this particular sponsorship because it has become known to the general public and not just sporting fans and i can see the stance of betting companies involved in sponsorship being looked at in a negative light. This seems to be bubbling away just under the surface but i think it will boil over come January. people will put pressure on the government (of any political persuasion) and politicians  will want to be seen doing their part in showing that they are taking note of what is being said that gambling is bad purely on the basis that this would be a political vote winner due to the perilous state of politics these days and cannot afford to ignore the drum banging going on. Another case of "don't do as i do, do as i say" "we know whats good for you"which seems to be all too prevalent these days.This could become a political football and not anything to do with sport

Nah - not worried about the government at all. Perhaps they will ban it, but I very much doubt it.

Even if they did they won't do it mid season and I very much doubt they would or could force dozens of multi million pound companies to cancel their contracts prematurely for such a meaningless issue. If it was banned it would likely be phased out as contracts expired - its not exactly an urgent issue in the country at the moment - nobody is going to die if it takes a couple more years to phase out.

In nay case this issue is pretty much dead at the moment - only a few media outlets trying to go for the clicks still - same will happen in Jan and then it will disappear again.

I’ve been brought up in a gambling environment, Ever since my grandma let me put a quid on a grand national when I was a young lad.

I have been to Vegas several times, last time losing a couple of grand over 2 days, and have to be honest and say have lost way more than I have ever won. If you are going to have an issue with gambling, it’s not sponsoring Rooney that’s the problem, you have to tackle it at root cause and ban it.

However as I said, it wasn’t an advert that got me into gambling, and I have to thank my Grandma for teaching me a valuable lesson that day, as I was losing my pound, my brother was spending his on sweets, teaching me that if I can’t afford to lose it, don’t bet it. As the OP has stated gambling is going nowhere, it’s been around for years and is here to stay.

I get people will make a stand, but no 32 on the back of WR shirt was the only way he was coming to PP, so I for one am all for it. I won’t be opening an account though, and it hasn’t even made me think I’m need a bet. Seems to me people are coming out the woodwork and jumping on the bandwagon to promote themselves rather than thinking about what Derby have actually done.

If you ban betting companies from sponsoring football clubs, the Championship, in particular, will take a huge hit financially. I'd say the majority of the clubs in this division rely on betting companies to fund their day-to-day running. it's one of the most effective sponsorship deals these companies can get involved in, hence the huge investment. 

I personally don't mind it in the slightest. I can't see why there is such an outcry, especially in a sport dominated by betting sponsorship. 

I don't like it, I hate the "in play with Ray" adverts when watching on the telly. I'd quite happily buy more replica shirts if they hadn't got adverts emblazoned across the front but people moaning about the Derby - Rooney deal need to get a life.

Mel is playing the game, if the betting companies were outlawed then Mel would still be better than the other owners at maximising whatever income was out there.

6 hours ago, GenBr said:

I don't like any sponsors on the shirts, but the club has to make money.

Did people start buying loads of tyres when Avon sponsored us? If you have a problem with betting thats entirely on you and something you need to resolve. The sponsorship on the shirt just lets you know the name of another of the 10 million betting companies that already exist - it doesn't force you to place bets. If merely the site of a betting logo is an issue you'd have to stop walking down the street in case you see a betting shop and just give up on the internet completely.

Very true 2 Red are not doing it in the hope of corrupting people they are hoping to attract Ladbrokes ,Sky bet customers etc

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just hope that the club have factored in the consequences of the famous Jim Wheeler not buying a shirt into their FFP projections.

Seriously, who is he and why does he think anyone cares if he buys a shirt or not?

I've not bought a shirt for about 10 years mainly because I think they are a rip off, I wasnt aware that I was supposed to write to my fellow fans explaining my decision.

The point he is conveniently missing is the only time Derby County will sell a shirt with Rooney 32 on it will be when the customer request and pay extra for it(£10.40)

3 hours ago, philmycocu said:

Mr Wheeler is a Derby fan that is not content with just being that, he wants to be seen as better than every other Derby fan. Mr Look At Me Super Ram.

Jim, get over yourself.

He can't, he's a colossal thunderBamford.

I had a dabble with RT some years ago when the three amigos were in town, absolute non-event, lead by exactly the kind of people you find doing duck all while keeping lovely sets of minutes on committees of various sorts up and down the country. I'd make a couple of honourable exceptions with some of the folks I met there, but as a sweeping generalisation they're muppets.

This silliness is further evidence, were any required. 

1 hour ago, Harrowram said:

Nobody compels you to enter a bookmakers or bet on line. Gambling is fine in moderation as is alcohol. People should have freedom of choice.

Gambling is fine in moderation, but there is no moderation in the blanket gambling advertising all around football. There is no moderation in the methods that gambling companies use in getting problem customers to spend more than they can afford.

Alcohol is fine in moderation, but I remember about 10 years ago when I first saw bottles of vodka next to the checkouts at Tesco, rather than all booze in the final aisle of the shop.

A piece of cake or a chocolate is fine in moderation, bit when food industry fills cheap food with sugar to make it addictive, it's no wonder there are so many obese people around.

The odd cigarette is even ok in moderation, but the companies knew for years that they were addictive and terrible for you. It took forever for the marketing of fags to be effectively stopped.

Of course people have the freedom of choice and no one is forcing them to drink, eat junk or gamble. But it's much harder to shift your product without marketing and advertising. It's also harder to shift your products in the future if you don't get brand awareness now with children and teenagers.

People are always going to gamble, drink and eat rubbish. So just put these products in a non-promotional space along with warnings of their dangers so people can make an informed choice.

If you are someone is immune to the problems with drinking, gambling, junk food and smoking then great. I think society should do as much as we can to protect the people who aren't immune to these problems. I don't think anyone is going to suffer from not been force fed messaging that it matters more if there is money on it. Or that Australians couldn't give a 4x about drinking horrible lager that reaches parts that other horrible lagers don't, probably. Or happiness is a cigar called Hamlet.

Don’t understand it when other teams are also funded by betting companies. 

Stoke- Bet365 Arena, for example. The amount of money they must receive from Bet365 must be substantial and could be spent on transfers to help improve the squad. Surely that’s all we’ve done as well? Don’t understand why we are being singled out. If we’d signed a lower profile player the same way, I guarantee this uproar wouldn’t have happened! 

Gambling is now a part of every day culture to which I play a part.I do not see why Rooney wearing the 32 shirt has any influence on some one wanting to gamble?

Gambling isn't the problem it's losing , people generally lose either through mis fortune or poor decision making. If you make poor decisions when gambling i can only assume you are likely to carry that trait in other aspects of your life.

i have probably lost £8 -10 thousand pounds in the last 4 years,money I don't enjoy loseing  ,however enjoy studying the form analysing the teams and having a punt.I wouldn't consider myself to have a problem and know of people that spend far more going to the pub 5 nights a week or spending £20 a day on fags.

I am aware that people have serious gambling addictions and don't even bet to win ,but the onous has to proportionately put on themselves for their own behaviour and they have to take responsibility for their actions.

If you stick your hand in the fire and get burnt is it the fires fault?

Nobody forced anyone to gamble, experience of losing is a constant and I am sure if people's decision making is so poor that if they couldn't gamble ,they would presumably find another flaw in their personality to ruin their lives. Don't wish to sound unsympathetic or believe that help ,encouragement and advice shouldn't be provided. But bookies aren't stealing anyone's money (albeit the odds on some games are shocking) They provide employment and create revenue in advertising and sponsorship.

Think we live in a very much blame blame society instead of looking sat ourselves and sometimes admitting our own faults and weaknesses.

13 hours ago, GenBr said:

Nah - not worried about the government at all. Perhaps they will ban it, but I very much doubt it.

Even if they did they won't do it mid season and I very much doubt they would or could force dozens of multi million pound companies to cancel their contracts prematurely for such a meaningless issue. If it was banned it would likely be phased out as contracts expired - its not exactly an urgent issue in the country at the moment - nobody is going to die if it takes a couple more years to phase out.

In nay case this issue is pretty much dead at the moment - only a few media outlets trying to go for the clicks still - same will happen in Jan and then it will disappear again.

Same as people didn't think alcohol would be banned as a sponsorship. I didn't say they would order this sponsorship being cancelled but i can see gambling sponsorship being looked at in a different light,It may be a meaningless issue to you but to others that comment may not be taken so lightly 

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Gambling is fine in moderation, but there is no moderation in the blanket gambling advertising all around football. There is no moderation in the methods that gambling companies use in getting problem customers to spend more than they can afford.

Alcohol is fine in moderation, but I remember about 10 years ago when I first saw bottles of vodka next to the checkouts at Tesco, rather than all booze in the final aisle of the shop.

A piece of cake or a chocolate is fine in moderation, bit when food industry fills cheap food with sugar to make it addictive, it's no wonder there are so many obese people around.

The odd cigarette is even ok in moderation, but the companies knew for years that they were addictive and terrible for you. It took forever for the marketing of fags to be effectively stopped.

Of course people have the freedom of choice and no one is forcing them to drink, eat junk or gamble. But it's much harder to shift your product without marketing and advertising. It's also harder to shift your products in the future if you don't get brand awareness now with children and teenagers.

People are always going to gamble, drink and eat rubbish. So just put these products in a non-promotional space along with warnings of their dangers so people can make an informed choice.

If you are someone is immune to the problems with drinking, gambling, junk food and smoking then great. I think society should do as much as we can to protect the people who aren't immune to these problems. I don't think anyone is going to suffer from not been force fed messaging that it matters more if there is money on it. Or that Australians couldn't give a 4x about drinking horrible lager that reaches parts that other horrible lagers don't, probably. Or happiness is a cigar called Hamlet.

The reaction to Rooney's signing at Derby has been totally excessive and is symptomatic of a snowflake society where people are wrapped in cotton wool and not taught to be responsible for themselves. The dangers of smoking , drinking and eating excessively and gambling are well know and have been well known all of my lifetime.

There is a long-standing tradition among the powers that be.

Any team can get away with anything unless they are Derby County.

Toddy banned from the England team for two years .

Rams fined for 'illegal' payments to Dave Mackay.

Multiple fines for Brian Clough 'bringing the game into disrepute'

Derby banned from Europe despite qualifying.

Ian Moore paraded as 'our new signing'.

OK these were in the early 70s but some organisations have long memories.

Putting a number 32 on a player's back when so many clubs are sponsored by the same business? Come on!

There is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is not being talked about! (Wilde)

2 hours ago, Fraser_23 said:

Don’t understand it when other teams are also funded by betting companies. 

Stoke- Bet365 Arena, for example. The amount of money they must receive from Bet365 must be substantial and could be spent on transfers to help improve the squad. Surely that’s all we’ve done as well? Don’t understand why we are being singled out. If we’d signed a lower profile player the same way, I guarantee this uproar wouldn’t have happened! 

I made this point the other day, sponsoring a stadium is worse (in our critic’s viewpoint) than Rooney’s deal.

If you bring your child up correctly then the only part of the shirt front and back that will resonate with them is the word Rooney and our Ram.

More kids will be outside pretending to be Rooney rather than turning them into gambling addicts.  I recently went on holiday to Weymouth and the amount of fat boys I saw was shocking, obesity is the number one priority to tackle *pardon the pun.

1 hour ago, Brummie Steve said:

There is a long-standing tradition among the powers that be.

Any team can get away with anything unless they are Derby County.

Toddy banned from the England team for two years .

Rams fined for 'illegal' payments to Dave Mackay.

Multiple fines for Brian Clough 'bringing the game into disrepute'

Derby banned from Europe despite qualifying.

Ian Moore paraded as 'our new signing'.

OK these were in the early 70s but some organisations have long memories.

Putting a number 32 on a player's back when so many clubs are sponsored by the same business? Come on!

There is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is not being talked about! (Wilde)

first sponsored shirt banned by FA

Disallowing Nish goal v Manure in FAC semi

well not the last one but we do seem to get punished a lot.  As someone said in this thread first through the door gets a bloody nose

Archived