Open Letter to Derby Fans

JAT

Jut read this article on The Athletic App. 

Personally I have no issue with 32Red being our kit sponsor. Just like I had no issue with Pedigree or Just Eat, which if you’re. Ring hyper critical you could say contribute to one of the biggest health epidemics of our generation, obesity. 

I have children who all support Derby and football in general. So like with everyone else will be subject to the constant advertising. 

Its my job as a parent to educate them about the pros and cons of gambling, as much as the dangers of alcohol and fatty foods. 

Football clubs are businesses and they have to accept these deals if they are going to compete. 

https://theathletic.com/1132227/2019/08/13/ramstrust-chair-i-wont-buy-a-Derby-shirt-with-a-betting-logo-on-it/

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like it, but I'm not going to accept Derby being singled out while we play in the SkyBet Championship and told to increase revenues year on year to make up for the growing imbalance with Premier League money, doling out massive payments even for the worst losers like Sunderland.

3 minutes ago, JAT said:

Jut read this article on The Athletic App. 

Personally I have no issue with 32Red being our kit sponsor. Just like I had no issue with Pedigree or Just Eat, which if you’re. Ring hyper critical you could say contribute to one of the biggest health epidemics of our generation, obesity. 

I have children who all support Derby and football in general. So like with everyone else will be subject to the constant advertising. 

Its my job as a parent to educate them about the pros and cons of gambling, as much as the dangers of alcohol and fatty foods. 

Football clubs are businesses and they have to accept these deals if they are going to compete. 

https://theathletic.com/1132227/2019/08/13/ramstrust-chair-i-wont-buy-a-Derby-shirt-with-a-betting-logo-on-it/

Hi JAT I agree entirely with your post.

As parents it is our responsibility to bring our children up with guidance and knowledge and experience.

As they gradually get older to teach them the importance of making decisions by considering all aspects.

I hope I have given my son the knowledge and ability to think for himself, to understand the pitfalls of gambling and as you rightly say obesity.

There are many forms of addiction that young people can become entrapped within, that's why giving our children the ability to rationalise themselves and come to their own decisions is so important in life. The ability to think for ourselves.

Too many times I hear parents complaining that schools, teachers etc should be doing more to educate their children against all sorts of issues.

No it is our responsibility to bring our children up to contribute to society in a positive manner.

Schools obviously play a part in this, but parents must realise it's they who set the examples in life.

Back to the relevant topic, gambling companies and football club sponsorships etc.

In a utopian world then it wouldn't happen, but that's never a reality. So yes it's not ideal, but I have no real gripe with DCFC or other football clubs taking the best deal available.

But I can also understand other people may have differing views, but you have to fight the battles you have a chance of winning, and not bang your head against a brick wall.

58 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Hi JAT I agree entirely with your post.

As parents it is our responsibility to bring our children up with guidance and knowledge and experience.

As they gradually get older to teach them the importance of making decisions by considering all aspects.

I hope I have given my son the knowledge and ability to think for himself, to understand the pitfalls of gambling and as you rightly say obesity.

There are many forms of addiction that young people can become entrapped within, that's why giving our children the ability to rationalise themselves and come to their own decisions is so important in life. The ability to think for ourselves.

Too many times I hear parents complaining that schools, teachers etc should be doing more to educate their children against all sorts of issues.

No it is our responsibility to bring our children up to contribute to society in a positive manner.

Schools obviously play a part in this, but parents must realise it's they who set the examples in life.

Back to the relevant topic, gambling companies and football club sponsorships etc.

In a utopian world then it wouldn't happen, but that's never a reality. So yes it's not ideal, but I have no real gripe with DCFC or other football clubs taking the best deal available.

But I can also understand other people may have differing views, but you have to fight the battles you have a chance of winning, and not bang your head against a brick wall.

What a brilliant post.

Agree with the OP. I’m not a massive fan of all the gambling advertising across the game, but what choice do we have? FFP prevents anyone from realistically taking a moral standpoint, we have to take the biggest sponsorship offer available to us- and those tend to be from gambling firms who have the cash for it. That’s the way thing are, and until football bans gambling sponsorships, the way they will have to be. Personally I don’t really see the huge problem with it, if gambling advertisement forces you to become a gambling addict, I can’t help but feel you must have been a way down the line before you saw it. Certainly don’t see the problem with the whole Rooney thing, all we’ve done is taken a bigger sponsorship because we’ve got one of world footballs biggest names playing for us.

I hate to say this but somewhere down the line i can see this being the catalyst that changes the view of gambling sponsorship in football, more and more people seem to be jumping on the bandwagon, next year if RED32 show an increase in profits you can guarantee some will say it's because of this deal whether it actually is or not.In their eyes it will just give credence to what they were saying when the sponsorship was 1st signed.

I think this debate is being gradually expanded to now be about the morality of gambling in sport in general. I like the comparison to alcohol or fast food companies - all three can potentially ruin lives yet all three are perfectly fine when taken in moderation.

Whatever your opinion on the matter is, it is ridiculous that we have suddenly become central to the debate considering how prolific betting sponsors are throughout football all over the world, and considering the name of the league we play in as many have pointed out. 

My two cents is that gambling has existed - just like alcohol, drugs, and other vices - for centuries. It is a reality of sports culture which many people enjoy in moderation. The way to reduce harm is to educate, rather than to project a moral obligation onto football clubs. Perhaps such advertising could be moderated in some way, but a blanket ban is both unrealistic and unnecessary (imo). The money generated in football by gambling companies is also central to the modern game, which would look so different without it (i.e, TV coverage would be considerably less well funded). 

I mentioned this in another thread but think its relevant here too. The moral debate over sports gambling is really insignificant when you consider other immoralities in sport. Man City are owned by a man leading one of the most repressive and murderous regimes in the world, responsible for a catalogue of human rights abuses. This isn't to say the debate over gambling is not valid, just that it seems to take up more media space than far more contentious issues. 

Think like alcohol and cigarettes eventually it will be banned

not a fan of gambling or the addiction, nor seeing it on Rams shirts

prefer nothing at all. - or when it used we used to have local or cool business on there...... Fly British Midland, Saab, 

however in todays climate. - Fly British Midland would upset people, about the carbon footprint....so you cant win

To single out one club, or even one player, when the game is awash with gambling sponsorship from all corners of the world is just headline grabbing silliness. Regulation comes at an indistry wide level or not at all - though some clubs could of course elect not to have sponsorship from a gambling company. The question, of course, is whether they then go with food delivery, soft drinks, confectionery, pay day loans, carbon emitting cars / tyres, planet destroying airlines, child brain rotting video games or alcohol companies to replace it. 

It's the faux offence that gets me with it all - I'm going to bet you (see what I did there) that only four weeks ago half these people were talking about who was favourite to go up from the division, before buying their lottery ticket and sitting down to see if they won the office sweepstakes in Eurovision. Yes, gambling is addictive and it should be treated respectfully. Yes, these companies deploy a lot of the tactics that the tobacco companies use. But the holier than thou outpourings by many smack more of 'come look at me' than of genuine concern for the average fan.

34 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

image.thumb.png.d29fb44366a0d8b26073ff877149c136.png

Wayne Rooney 32 is pushing it...but this is fine?

I don't think gambling companies should be allowed anywhere near football sponsorship, but you should either allow it or not.

Holding us up as an example is ridiculous.

TBF, Huddersfield have been fined and told to resize the sponsor.

Like others have said, this whole episode will be the catalyst to bring about banning gambling companies as shirt sponsors, the same way alcohol & cigarettes went.  I'm not against any club trying to maximise profits due to FFP constraints, and I believe that if you become addicted to gambling it won't be solely due to seeing a name printed on a shirt.  If anything, I just find it extremely boring to see half the shirts in the league with the same sponsor...

As I've said on other threads, a lot of it is down to jealousy.  Either people thinking little old Derby County can't be allowed to have a player of Rooney's stature play for us while we're still in the 2nd tier, and the fact most other clubs didn't think of it first.  There's a line spoken by John Henry at the end of Moneyball, when talking about Billy Bean's new approach to baseball "The first guy through the wall always gets a bloody nose, always".  Mel's getting the bloody nose, but they'll be plenty of other clubs pulling the same trick until they can't.  Nobody is saying anything about the Wendies' chairman selling Hillsborough to himself the other month are they?  No Mel takes the flack because he was the one who thought of it first.  Same with this... 

2 hours ago, Kennington Ram said:

I don't like it, but I'm not going to accept Derby being singled out while we play in the SkyBet Championship and told to increase revenues year on year to make up for the growing imbalance with Premier League money, doling out massive payments even for the worst losers like Sunderland.

Absolutely. The hypocrisy of the Govt. & EFL, BBC et alia, boils my “urine”. 

1 hour ago, irobinson said:

Think like alcohol and cigarettes eventually it will be banned

not a fan of gambling or the addiction, nor seeing it on Rams shirts

prefer nothing at all. - or when it used we used to have local or cool business on there...... Fly British Midland, Saab, 

however in todays climate. - Fly British Midland would upset people, about the carbon footprint....so you cant win

Agreed,Yes and Saab used to make military aircraft so where do you draw the line

18 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

TBF, Huddersfield have been fined and told to resize the sponsor.

Like others have said, this whole episode will be the catalyst to bring about banning gambling companies as shirt sponsors, the same way alcohol & cigarettes went.  I'm not against any club trying to maximise profits due to FFP constraints, and I believe that if you become addicted to gambling it won't be solely due to seeing a name printed on a shirt.  If anything, I just find it extremely boring to see half the shirts in the league with the same sponsor...

As I've said on other threads, a lot of it is down to jealousy.  Either people thinking little old Derby County can't be allowed to have a player of Rooney's stature play for us while we're still in the 2nd tier, and the fact most other clubs didn't think of it first.  There's a line spoken by John Henry at the end of Moneyball, when talking about Billy Bean's new approach to baseball "The first guy through the wall always gets a bloody nose, always".  Mel's getting the bloody nose, but they'll be plenty of other clubs pulling the same trick until they can't.  Nobody is saying anything about the Wendies' chairman selling Hillsborough to himself the other month are they?  No Mel takes the flack because he was the one who thought of it first.  Same with this... 

With respect to selling yourself the stadium Mel probably wasn't the first. At least two ex owners i know have bought the stadium as their pension fund :

Bradford City is still owned by it's former chairman's pension fund and also Port Vale's was owned by there previous owner until the last couple of months.

I doubt either was done to evade FFP, however both where used to make the clubs more viable which amounts to the same thing.

Archived