Turn off that Engine!

Dave knappett

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, mozza said:

Maybe the starter motor's knackered, you ever tried to 'bumpstart' a bus? 

I've seen a bloke pull one along with his teeth (obviously at the end of a tow rope).  Actually it was a double-decker. This a few minutes after completing a marathon in Wellingtons. True story.

8 minutes ago, mozza said:

Maybe the starter motor's knackered, you ever tried to 'bumpstart' a bus? 

Sorry Mozza mi owd, you're thinking of the Forest open top bus.  It's absolutely knackered and they're only keeping it for their successful promotion campaign next season.

From League 1 ?

43 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I think @MackworthRamIsGod was making the point that the rich to tell what we should be doing about the environment, don't practice what they preach.  

Surely newer coaches could keep the fridges running by hooking up to an electric point instead of keeping the engine running??

Surely a coach in this day and age can power a fridge for two hours without considerable battery drain?

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

No, that's not true. If climate change is a 'thing' (and there are some who believe it isn't) then it affects everyone on the planet, rich or poor. You might even argue that the rich have more to lose, but that's a separate argument.

What the rich may well be able to do is ignore the impact for longer or be able to buy their way out of any problems more easily, but that applies to many things across the world from housing to health to tax and influence. And always has throughout history. C'est la vie.

We all, it seems to me, have an equal part to play, whether it's flying and driving less, using the tumble drier less, switching lights off or wasting less and recycling more. And yes I do drive 70 miles each way to PP, but that's essential travel ?

Although I do believe everyone needs to play their part (I for one try to avoid flying as much as possible), the things we can do are a drop in the bucket. The main causers of pollution are the super rich megacorporations: https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/jul/10/100-fossil-fuel-companies-investors-responsible-71-global-emissions-cdp-study-climate-change

No matter how much we do we can't effect anything until these guys stop screwing it up for the rest of us. We can't even slow it down.

42 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I've seen a bloke pull one along with his teeth (obviously at the end of a tow rope).  Actually it was a double-decker. This a few minutes after completing a marathon in Wellingtons. True story.

It's not really a story though is it? More like three statements on two facts.

54 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I think @MackworthRamIsGod was making the point that the rich to tell what we should be doing about the environment, don't practice what they preach.  

Surely newer coaches could keep the fridges running by hooking up to an electric point instead of keeping the engine running??

Well, before we go too far with this, we only have the word of one guy that away team coaches keep their engines running from the moment they arrive to the moment they leave after a match at PP.  He hasn't told us how he knows that.  The only way he would know is if he spends every match day outside the ground and never goes to a game.  Perhaps he does, in which case fine.  And if he's correct then the club should try to do something about it, but it sounds fairly unlikely to me on the evidence we have.

And what  @MackworthRamIsGod said was: Climate change only applies to anyone earning under a certain amount a year.

That's not true.  If climate change exists then it applies to everyone whatever their income. He may not have meant it, but that's what he wrote.

The immediate impact of CC on richer people may be less - wealthier people and organisations are always able to ride out the bumps in life better than those who are poorer. It has been the case since mankind was created. But those people are not unaffected by CC just because they have more money.

My point would be that the ability for richer people with more influence to affect positively and negatively the response to climate change may be greater.  If you turn CC into a rich v poor argument only, then everyone loses.  Only by getting people and organisations of influence (often wealthy people/organisations but not only) to work, create alternatives and influence behaviour will we effect long lasting change.  

Who on this forum eats meat (farm animals apparently have a huge impact on the climate), or uses supermarkets/shops supplied by lorries, or drives to a match or work when they might walk, cycle or take the bus, fly away on holiday, wastes food, buys food out of season - we're all hypocritical to some degree, some no doubt more than others.

7 hours ago, Dave knappett said:

Is it just me or has anyone else noted the fact that when the away team coach parks up at Pride Park it leaves its diesel engine running for the entirety of the afternoon! That is to say, it arrives 90 minutes before kick off, stays the whole match and possibly for a couple of hours post match WITH ITS ENGINE RUNNING THE WHOLE TIME!! Sometimes the driver is present, sometimes not. Whatever, the engine is left running. I have noticed this each time I have gone to watch the Rams. Can this be looked into and sorted as the pollution and health hazard it represents should and must be stopped NOW. Thanks for listening and let me know what you think or have noticed yourself. Dave the Kay.

That isn’t good is it !

Mind you, far worse are the old short hop double deckers queuing to leave after the game. The noble old steeds from days gone by have the filthiest exhausts, without particulate filters that vomit a continuous stream of stinking diesel fumes as they sit waiting to leave parking areas. Clouds of filth. Shouldn’t be on the road without some serious modification to bring them up to date. 

4 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

It's not really a story though is it? More like three statements on two facts.

The Cambridge Dictionary defines 'story as' : a description, either true or imagined, of a connected series of events.

Seems okay to me.

8 hours ago, Dave knappett said:

Is it just me or has anyone else noted the fact that when the away team coach parks up at Pride Park it leaves its diesel engine running for the entirety of the afternoon! That is to say, it arrives 90 minutes before kick off, stays the whole match and possibly for a couple of hours post match WITH ITS ENGINE RUNNING THE WHOLE TIME!! Sometimes the driver is present, sometimes not. Whatever, the engine is left running. I have noticed this each time I have gone to watch the Rams. Can this be looked into and sorted as the pollution and health hazard it represents should and must be stopped NOW. Thanks for listening and let me know what you think or have noticed yourself. Dave the Kay.

Absolutely. Very serious issue. Nhs data shows that admissions to hospital keeps rising especially for children due to respiratory problems. Definitely linked to emissions. Not sure what the Club can do to enforce it but it we all need to support whatever we can to protect the environment. 

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. Very serious issue. Nhs data shows that admissions to hospital keeps rising especially for children due to respiratory problems. Definitely linked to emissions. Not sure what the Club can do to enforce it but it we all need to support whatever we can to protect the environment. 

Stick a spud in the exhaust.

6 hours ago, Ellafella said:

parking a vehicle unattended with  the engine running is illegal the spot fine is a whole£20 that will stop the buggers

On 15/08/2019 at 09:49, ilkleyram said:

How do you know?

My first thoughts too!  LOL

Maybe the engine get's switched off 5 mins after disembarking, and on again as the final whistle blows?  Ok, arguably still running for too long, but that's better than the 5 continuous hours claimed in the OP.

I'd have thought there's no more than a couple of dozen people who could hazard a reasonable guess at the facts, and maybe 2 or 3 who actually know the facts?  

On 15/08/2019 at 09:23, Dave knappett said:

I reckon I could get 50k fer that coach on ebay mi owd .  Let mi know when drivers gone. 

Well Dave let me update you and everyone what I have been up to with regards this topic. I have written to the EFL, Premier League and Derby County about the issue of team buses leaving their engines running when parked up outside grounds. The EFL got back to me within the day saying they are currently developing a Green Strategy and have passed my message and concerns on to the strategy working group. Derby County got back to me within minutes saying they will make sure the Bristol City team bus turns the engine off next Tuesday night - if anyone is going to the game perhaps you could keep an eye on this to see if it happens; and future away team buses. I also asked that the Rams team  bus turn the engine off whilst parked up at Stoke this Saturday and at all future away games. The club have not yet responded to  this request. I am waiting for a reply from the Premier League. 

This is a very real health and  environmental issue and I urge fellow Rams fans to join the TOTE campaign - Turn Off That Engine.

Archived