Turn off that Engine!

Dave knappett

Is it just me or has anyone else noted the fact that when the away team coach parks up at Pride Park it leaves its diesel engine running for the entirety of the afternoon! That is to say, it arrives 90 minutes before kick off, stays the whole match and possibly for a couple of hours post match WITH ITS ENGINE RUNNING THE WHOLE TIME!! Sometimes the driver is present, sometimes not. Whatever, the engine is left running. I have noticed this each time I have gone to watch the Rams. Can this be looked into and sorted as the pollution and health hazard it represents should and must be stopped NOW. Thanks for listening and let me know what you think or have noticed yourself. Dave the Kay.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Dave knappett said:

Is it just me or has anyone else noted the fact that when the away team coach parks up at Pride Park it leaves its diesel engine running for the entirety of the afternoon! That is to say, it arrives 90 minutes before kick off, stays the whole match and possibly for a couple of hours post match WITH ITS ENGINE RUNNING THE WHOLE TIME!! Sometimes the driver is present, sometimes not. Whatever, the engine is left running. I have noticed this each time I have gone to watch the Rams. Can this be looked into and sorted as the pollution and health hazard it represents should and must be stopped NOW. Thanks for listening and let me know what you think or have noticed yourself. Dave the Kay.

Probably kept on to keep the fridges and the ovens running.

It's a waste though.

3 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Probably kept on to keep the fridges and the ovens running.

It's a waste though.

I mean, when they have to travel all the way home after a defeat, they are at least entitled to some refrigerated crisps.

38 minutes ago, Dave knappett said:

Quick get away vehicle after drubbing by the Rams. I have noticed that before. Bizarre really. Some version of health and safety In case of fire or who knows what.

Up to 40,000 UK deaths per year are attributable to vehicle emissions.  Most of them are attributable to stationary or slow moving traffic in heavily built up areas.

I'd argue that having the engine running before the match (after the team have arrived) and immediately after the game when thousands of (particularly young) fans are exposed to the fumes is perverse.

Perhaps the club could take a lead on this asking visiting teams to modify their behaviour and taking a stance when we play away.

It's how the rich live, whilst the government are telling us how we can do our bit (and people fall for it), the rich fly on private jets and drive big cars designed for a family to ferry 1 person about.

As someone said, they are kept running to ensure the players fruit shoots are kept nice and cold.

Climate change only applies to anyone earning under a certain amount a year.

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

It's how the rich live, whilst the government are telling us how we can do our bit (and people fall for it), the rich fly on private jets and drive big cars designed for a family to ferry 1 person about.

As someone said, they are kept running to ensure the players fruit shoots are kept nice and cold.

Climate change only applies to anyone earning under a certain amount a year.

No, that's not true. If climate change is a 'thing' (and there are some who believe it isn't) then it affects everyone on the planet, rich or poor. You might even argue that the rich have more to lose, but that's a separate argument.

What the rich may well be able to do is ignore the impact for longer or be able to buy their way out of any problems more easily, but that applies to many things across the world from housing to health to tax and influence. And always has throughout history. C'est la vie.

We all, it seems to me, have an equal part to play, whether it's flying and driving less, using the tumble drier less, switching lights off or wasting less and recycling more. And yes I do drive 70 miles each way to PP, but that's essential travel ?

3 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

No, that's not true. If climate change is a 'thing' (and there are some who believe it isn't) then it affects everyone on the planet, rich or poor. You might even argue that the rich have more to lose, but that's a separate argument.

What the rich may well be able to do is ignore the impact for longer or be able to buy their way out of any problems more easily, but that applies to many things across the world from housing to health to tax and influence. And always has throughout history. C'est la vie.

We all, it seems to me, have an equal part to play, whether it's flying and driving less, using the tumble drier less, switching lights off or wasting less and recycling more. And yes I do drive 70 miles each way to PP, but that's essential travel ?

Won't disagree with you but I'll point out that potentially impacting the health of hundreds of children just so that 20 privileged and rich people can enjoy slightly colder drinks and snacks is exactly the very essence of the rich ignoring the impact of their actions.

18 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I think @MackworthRamIsGod was making the point that the rich to tell what we should be doing about the environment, don't practice what they preach.  

Surely newer coaches could keep the fridges running by hooking up to an electric point instead of keeping the engine running??

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

I think @MackworthRamIsGod was making the point that the rich to tell what we should be doing about the environment, don't practice what they preach.  

Surely newer coaches could keep the fridges running by hooking up to an electric point instead of keeping the engine running??

Agreed on the first point.

I'd also agree they should be doing the second, that they're not isn't great.

Archived