Sign in to follow this  
RamLad1884

Bielik: Defender or Midfielder?

5 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

He's said himself that he's a better centre back, but we really need him in midfield.  Cocu said he was now fit enough to play in midfield, so fingers crossed he'll be in there a lot more, starting tomorrow night.  And preferably flanked by Holmes & Knight... 

Pretty sure he said he prefers midfield

51 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Pretty sure he said he prefers midfield

35 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Yep, same as Cocu said. Prefers midfield but has dropped back into CB in the past.

Sure I read the opposite...

Whilst I think we need Bielik in midfield now I think people will need to temper their expectations, unless we switch formation.

An attacking 4-2-3-1 isn’t set up for the holding midfielder to run the show. Usually, you’ll have a defensive sitter who keeps things simple and a passer who can back-up play, control the game and stick his foot-in. At this level think Hogg and Mooy or even Savage and Bailey during the purple patch. Schone and de Jong are a top level example of this. 

The deepest of the two just doesn’t have the options. He’s got a zipped ball to the #10, a clip in behind for the #9, diagonals to the wingers and the simple pass to the other midfielder. 

On top of that, we still don’t have a passer who can back-play up. Huddlestone looked horrible there against Bristol City. Thus, I think if we stick to a 4-2-3-1 we’ll be restricting Bielik and the midfield will still be unbalanced.

I think we need a 4-3-3. If Bielik is as good as people are saying, and I haven’t seen enough of him, then it gives him the options and freedom to control the game.  

Have your two #8s playing in the channels and a #9 showing for the ball and immediately he’s got two more options to feet from deep. Then given the licence to back-up play so he’s not having to try ridiculous passes to the wingers. 

Edited by cannable

On 12/09/2019 at 14:41, YorkshireRam said:

Not sure that's right... You're expected to screen the defence and offer them protection while also dictating play in midfield and ultimately being the linchpin of the team, not an easy role by any stretch.

If it isn't a ''demanding position'' then how come we haven't found anyone that can play there effectively since Thorne?

Demanding position as in intensity, defensive midfielders are indeed expected to screen, but it’s not a tiring position. There’s pretty much no difference between centre back and defensive midfielder intensity wise. Two of the best defensive midfielders ever- Busquets and Makelele, never broke a sweat because they were always in the right position . If you’re knackered playing in that position then you’re doing it wrong unless your team is a pressing maniac team like Klopp’s

On 12/09/2019 at 17:27, cannable said:

Whilst I think we need Bielik in midfield now I think people will need to temper their expectations, unless we switch formation.

An attacking 4-2-3-1 isn’t set up for the holding midfielder to run the show. Usually, you’ll have a defensive sitter who keeps things simple and a passer who can back-up play, control the game and stick his foot-in. At this level think Hogg and Mooy or even Savage and Bailey during the purple patch. Schone and de Jong are a top level example of this. 

The deepest of the two just doesn’t have the options. He’s got a zipped ball to the #10, a clip in behind for the #9, diagonals to the wingers and the simple pass to the other midfielder. 

On top of that, we still don’t have a passer who can back-play up. Huddlestone looked horrible there against Bristol City. Thus, I think if we stick to a 4-2-3-1 we’ll be restricting Bielik and the midfield will still be unbalanced.

I think we need a 4-3-3. If Bielik is as good as people are saying, and I haven’t seen enough of him, then it gives him the options and freedom to control the game.  

Have your two #8s playing in the channels and a #9 showing for the ball and immediately he’s got two more options to feet from deep. Then given the licence to back-up play so he’s not having to try ridiculous passes to the wingers. 

I agree with this...for all his praise this week,I didn't think he was effective in the system we played.A 4-3-3 formation would appear to be the way forward to see him at his best.