Bielik: Defender or Midfielder?

RamLad1884

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst I think we need Bielik in midfield now I think people will need to temper their expectations, unless we switch formation.

An attacking 4-2-3-1 isn’t set up for the holding midfielder to run the show. Usually, you’ll have a defensive sitter who keeps things simple and a passer who can back-up play, control the game and stick his foot-in. At this level think Hogg and Mooy or even Savage and Bailey during the purple patch. Schone and de Jong are a top level example of this. 

The deepest of the two just doesn’t have the options. He’s got a zipped ball to the #10, a clip in behind for the #9, diagonals to the wingers and the simple pass to the other midfielder. 

On top of that, we still don’t have a passer who can back-play up. Huddlestone looked horrible there against Bristol City. Thus, I think if we stick to a 4-2-3-1 we’ll be restricting Bielik and the midfield will still be unbalanced.

I think we need a 4-3-3. If Bielik is as good as people are saying, and I haven’t seen enough of him, then it gives him the options and freedom to control the game.  

Have your two #8s playing in the channels and a #9 showing for the ball and immediately he’s got two more options to feet from deep. Then given the licence to back-up play so he’s not having to try ridiculous passes to the wingers. 

On 12/09/2019 at 14:41, YorkshireRam said:

Not sure that's right... You're expected to screen the defence and offer them protection while also dictating play in midfield and ultimately being the linchpin of the team, not an easy role by any stretch.

If it isn't a ''demanding position'' then how come we haven't found anyone that can play there effectively since Thorne?

Demanding position as in intensity, defensive midfielders are indeed expected to screen, but it’s not a tiring position. There’s pretty much no difference between centre back and defensive midfielder intensity wise. Two of the best defensive midfielders ever- Busquets and Makelele, never broke a sweat because they were always in the right position . If you’re knackered playing in that position then you’re doing it wrong unless your team is a pressing maniac team like Klopp’s

On 12/09/2019 at 17:27, cannable said:

Whilst I think we need Bielik in midfield now I think people will need to temper their expectations, unless we switch formation.

An attacking 4-2-3-1 isn’t set up for the holding midfielder to run the show. Usually, you’ll have a defensive sitter who keeps things simple and a passer who can back-up play, control the game and stick his foot-in. At this level think Hogg and Mooy or even Savage and Bailey during the purple patch. Schone and de Jong are a top level example of this. 

The deepest of the two just doesn’t have the options. He’s got a zipped ball to the #10, a clip in behind for the #9, diagonals to the wingers and the simple pass to the other midfielder. 

On top of that, we still don’t have a passer who can back-play up. Huddlestone looked horrible there against Bristol City. Thus, I think if we stick to a 4-2-3-1 we’ll be restricting Bielik and the midfield will still be unbalanced.

I think we need a 4-3-3. If Bielik is as good as people are saying, and I haven’t seen enough of him, then it gives him the options and freedom to control the game.  

Have your two #8s playing in the channels and a #9 showing for the ball and immediately he’s got two more options to feet from deep. Then given the licence to back-up play so he’s not having to try ridiculous passes to the wingers. 

I agree with this...for all his praise this week,I didn't think he was effective in the system we played.A 4-3-3 formation would appear to be the way forward to see him at his best.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the Matchday Live for the Birmingham game. Once again, this time from Owen Bradley, it is reiterated that Bielik himself sees himself as a centre-back.

This has raised a difficult question for me: so far, and according to most Charlton fans, he seems to be better as a CDM.

And yet, he clearly wants to play as a centre-half, and I think plays in that position for Poland, too?

I don't think players should pick their own positions, by any means. But perhaps Bielik knows something we don't? Or at least, haven't seem yet?

12 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Just watched the Matchday Live for the Birmingham game. Once again, this time from Owen Bradley, it is reiterated that Bielik himself sees himself as a centre-back.

This has raised a difficult question for me: so far, and according to most Charlton fans, he seems to be better as a CDM.

And yet, he clearly wants to play as a centre-half, and I think plays in that position for Poland, too?

I don't think players should pick their own positions, by any means. But perhaps Bielik knows something we don't? Or at least, haven't seem yet?

He played in midfield with Krychowiak in a 4-4-2 in there recent game against Austria

16 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

He's only young, I'm sure he will be a great centre back. Main issue at the moment is he's far and away better than our other option in midfield, yet he's not far and away better than other options at centre back.

From the original interview on ramsplayer I got the impression that he felt he was a better CB but preferred DCM as it allowed him more freedom to do what he likes (moving forward with the ball and starting attacks). Saying that it seemed he was happy to do both as they offered separate challenges that would improve him as a player. I thought it was a good interview from a very professional, young, driven player that was keen to improve as a whole. Let’s hope that’s the case as it can only be good for DCFC.

Archived