Bielik: Defender or Midfielder?

RamLad1884

30 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Where do we think his long term future will be in the team?

Cocu said he needs to build fitness and generally CBs cover a little less ground during games - So I would imagine part of the logic of playing him there last night was building fitness more gradually

I think his marauding runs forward suggest he's going to be a midfielder primarily for us - Plus (and I know this is over-simplified) he's listed as a midfielder on the official site - I usually take that as being the manager has told the website team how to list them

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I don't think he'll be here long enough to do that. If he has a season playing as well as he can, and we aren't promoted, we'll do very well to keep a hold of him. Might be the record received for a Derby player.

That's a good possibility but I'd hope we'd keep a hold for more than a season. A season at this level and he'll be worth a lot but if he keeps improving and he has a season with us in the prem we could be talking stupid money.

I hope Bielik comes in for Huddz and not Evans, too.

Evans has been showing of late that he's not far off Huddz' passing range, while being far more mobile and aggressive. I think Bielik + Evans in that area of the pitch could have a good chance of being dominant, to be honest.

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think he's quite different to even a young Huddlestone. He reminds me more of how Thorne played when he was on top form.

I agree with everything else though.

The area where we have struggled is the AM's getting close enough to the striker(s) to be effective. Bielik can make this happen, they will be so much more free with him behind them

Personally I think he will play in Midfield. Cocu wont drop either Clarke or Keogh, they've done nothing wrong and are both very good players. I think you saw last night that he is more suited to Midfield and if he was playing in front of Keogh and Clarke that would be a very good partnership. He is cover for CB but mainly a DM, Davies, Evans or Buchanan can cover CB. He is a colossus and can help our defensive side of the game no end but he can also effect out attacking play so much more positively than Huddlestone. He moves the ball quickly and drives into the space committing defenders and opening up space for the likes of Dowell/Shinnie/Lawrence/Paterson/Knight/Holmes to work in. I also think that in home games we should look to play him on his own in DM and have 2 advanced CM's. Away from home i would play 2 deep if needed like Huddersfield with him and Evans in there.

Hamer

Keogh       Clarke

Bielik

Thats a very good start to the spine of the side.

7 minutes ago, LeedsRam1999 said:

Still wager that we would concede a lot of goals from crosses somehow 

I actually really doubt we will this season. I think no small part of the problem of conceding from crosses was actually the midfield. Basically teams could cut through us way too easily and either be able to isolate the full back or get in behind a full back who's trying to get back from an attack. Having someone like Bielik (Evans is showing this as well) who can either snuff out attacks through the middle or cover across to the gap where the full back is missing or drop into the back line allowing one of the centre backs to drift out to the crossed will help immensely. 

All that combined with Bielik being good in the air to help deal with crosses and Clarke looking like a rock I expect we could well be pretty solid this season.

11 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Evans has been showing of late that he's not far off Huddz' passing range, while being far more mobile and aggressive. I think Bielik + Evans in that area of the pitch could have a good chance of being dominant, to be honest.

I mostly agree with you but as a counter argument it could really free Huddlestone up having Bielik next to him to essentially have a free-ish role to try and open teams up.

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I mostly agree with you but as a counter argument it could really free Huddlestone up having Bielik next to him to essentially have a free-ish role to try and open teams up.

Problem is it's a bit reliant on teams affording Huddz the space. Which I don't see them doing.

Not only because he's Tom Huddlestone and you can't give him time to pick his passes, but opposition players will always be close to him, because they'll have seen that a pass into him only has to be slightly off for him to have little chance of recovering it. 

But if Bielik is particularly good at marshalling the area around Huddz, you could be right, sure.

19 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I hope when Holmes come back neither Evans nor Hudds are in the team...

12th September, 2006. Wolverhampton Wanderers away.

Does anybody recall how dominant, composed, calm, authoritative and tidy on the ball our holding midfielder was?

I've been saying for a long time that we've never had anybody who can even come close to that guy. What a player, what a legend.

Krystian Bielik might finally be the man to replace him. What a tribute that would be.

We can but dream.

3 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

12th September, 2006. Wolverhampton Wanderers away.

Does anybody recall how dominant, composed, calm, authoritative and tidy on the ball our holding midfielder was?

I've been saying for a long time that we've never had anybody who can even come close to that guy. What a player, what a legend.

Krystian Bielik might finally be the man to replace him. What a tribute that would be.

We can but dream.

I googled... 

the answer is Bob Malcolm.

9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Problem is it's a bit reliant on teams affording Huddz the space. Which I don't see them doing.

Not only because he's Tom Huddlestone and you can't give him time to pick his passes, but opposition players will always be close to him, because they'll have seen that a pass into him only has to be slightly off for him to have little chance of recovering it. 

But if Bielik is particularly good at marshalling the area around Huddz, you could be right, sure.

Yeah I'm just floating it is an option. Personally I think we could well see a shift to playing two more attacking midfielders in front of Bielik as a plan A, particularly when Holmes gets fit.

23 minutes ago, jono said:

The area where we have struggled is the AM's getting close enough to the striker(s) to be effective. Bielik can make this happen, they will be so much more free with him behind them

I think the major thing it will help with is stopping teams regaining massive amounts of territory when we've been attacking. Often last year it would become a case of we'd have a go and then they'd counter getting deep into our half. Whereas hopefully with Bielik you see that counter attack snuffed out earlier so we can straight back on the front foot rather than having to completely build the attack again.

32 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Personally I think he will play in Midfield. Cocu wont drop either Clarke or Keogh, they've done nothing wrong and are both very good players. I think you saw last night that he is more suited to Midfield and if he was playing in front of Keogh and Clarke that would be a very good partnership. He is cover for CB but mainly a DM, Davies, Evans or Buchanan can cover CB. He is a colossus and can help our defensive side of the game no end but he can also effect out attacking play so much more positively than Huddlestone. He moves the ball quickly and drives into the space committing defenders and opening up space for the likes of Dowell/Shinnie/Lawrence/Paterson/Knight/Holmes to work in. I also think that in home games we should look to play him on his own in DM and have 2 advanced CM's. Away from home i would play 2 deep if needed like Huddersfield with him and Evans in there.

Hamer

Keogh       Clarke

Bielik

Thats a very good start to the spine of the side.

Notice how Hamer has quietly Snooked  in as No 1 .....

Archived