Bielik: Defender or Midfielder?

RamLad1884

General consensus on here seems to be we want him in the DM role, a faster and more powerful Thorne. 

Started and finished the game at CB last night and was relatively comfortable and a great ball player. 

Where do we think his long term future will be in the team?

My gut feeling is that he will be kept as a CB and we'll see Evans in front (both play both roles in the 'total football' style). Hoping he takes over from Hudds in midfield though. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a midfielder primarily, that's where I can see him playing most of his games for us with Clarke and Keogh being such a solid partnership, and Huddlestone being one of the weak links in the team due to his lack of mobility and physical  presence, I can see Bielik playing there on Saturday.

I think we’ve brought him in to be a midfielder primarily. You could argue he’s potentially more naturally a centre back, but he’s certainly played in midfield enough across his career to say he can play CDM. He’ll be first choice CDM in front of Keogh and Clarke this season as the defensive spine imo. If needed, he’ll be used to cover centre half as well I suspect.

Think he will be used as a midfielder and certainly hope so.

Spine of Keogh and Clarke with Bielik in front will make us incredibly solid. It will also give the full backs license to fly forward as he can drop in to form a 3.

My feeling is that his solidity will also allow us to play two more attacking midfielders in the central 3. No need to play Evans or Huddlestone alongside him - go with 2 from Holmes, Dowell and Knight - and Rooney when he arrives.

He's the holding midfielder we've needed for some time. Solid, good in the air, defensively sound, big, strong, composed, able to pick a pass, able to hold onto the ball, creative. Got to be DM in a 4-1-2-3 for me.

His long term future is definitely in DM.

Cocu said post game "we chose to put Bielik in defense rather than midfield because it is a little easier on him", which matches up with the speculation on here during the game that he was in defence because they were his first game minutes of the season.

Seems like that was a very intelligent decision by Cocu.

No chance Keogh or Clarke are replaced. He'll be moved further forward. I'd imagine in place of Evans. He is just as agile at getting around the pitch so if anything we benefit from more legs in there. His aerial presence and tackling as well as comfort on the ball will be a huge boost.

You could see at times against Huddersfield and also against Swansea where Huddz and Evans (more so Evans) took it in turns to slot into a back 3 allowing our full backs to get forward. Bielik can easily do this as well. 

25 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

General consensus on here seems to be we want him in the DM role, a faster and more powerful Thorne. 

Started and finished the game at CB last night and was relatively comfortable and a great ball player. 

Where do we think his long term future will be in the team?

My gut feeling is that he will be kept as a CB and we'll see Evans in front (both play both roles in the 'total football' style). Hoping he takes over from Hudds in midfield though. 

My thoughts exactly. A young Huddlestone; mopping up in front of the back four, winning possession and moving it forward. Allows fluidity enabling Van Keogh to surge forward. Really excited to see Bielik develop. 

I think we see him as a DM primarily and I imagine he will play there almost entirely this season. 

However I have sneaky suspicion that super long term (as in not in the next couple of seasons) he'll go to CB. I think we could see a  potential situation where Keogh retires, Beilik takes his place in the back line and Max Bird fills out into that DM role.

Just now, Ellafella said:

My thoughts exactly. A young Huddlestone; mopping up in front of the back four, winning possession and moving it forward. Allows fluidity enabling Van Keogh to surge forward. Really excited to see Bielik develop. 

I think he's quite different to even a young Huddlestone. He reminds me more of how Thorne played when he was on top form.

I agree with everything else though.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

I think we see him as a DM primarily and I imagine he will play there almost entirely this season. 

However I have sneaky suspicion that super long term (as in not in the next couple of seasons) he'll go to CB. I think we could see a  potential situation where Keogh retires, Beilik takes his place in the back line and Max Bird fills out into that DM role.

I don't think he'll be here long enough to do that. If he has a season playing as well as he can, and we aren't promoted, we'll do very well to keep a hold of him. Might be the record received for a Derby player.

1 minute ago, LeedsRam1999 said:

Away from home in a 4-2-3-1 could have a middle 4 of

Keogh Clarke

Bielik Evans 

It's a good option to have. Particularly as they are all very good with the ball at their feet so it's not like we are doing a pulis and deploying 4 thugs.

2 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

I don't think he'll be here long enough to do that. If he has a season playing as well as he can, and we aren't promoted, we'll do very well to keep a hold of him. Might be the record received for a Derby player.

T'would be a fat wad of cash for a 22 year old player with 4 years remaining on their contract who'd been bought for £10m and just had (assuming in this hypothetical) a great season. I don't think there'd be a 'might' in there at all ?

Archived