Red Dogs Away

Philmycock

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

This ones never a free hit .  Play five young lads and get stuffed, it will be evident how bothered people really are quickly.  Strongest 11 only for this one .  Might include one or two young lads, but that will be earned on merit over the next two/ three games.

For us and from our perspective, that’s true. We always want to beat Forest.

But if we put our managerial hats on, it might look a bit different.

We play 8 games in total this month and this game is sandwiched between two tough games against potential promotion rivals.

Managing the squad and using all of the players at our disposal will be a consideration, surely?

7 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

This ones never a free hit .  Play five young lads and get stuffed, it will be evident how bothered people really are quickly.  Strongest 11 only for this one .  Might include one or two young lads, but that will be earned on merit over the next two/ three games.

Just depends what he sees his priorities are, a stable team in the league so play youngsters same as tonight so no senior players risk injury plus if he plays the youngsters he will see how they stand up to opposition in a high intensity match. I certainly don't think the youngsters would get stuffed, they would have something to prove  

5 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

Just depends what he sees his priorities are, a stable team in the league so play youngsters same as tonight so no senior players risk injury plus if he plays the youngsters he will see how they stand up to opposition in a high intensity match. I certainly don't think the youngsters would get stuffed, they would have something to prove  

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

For us and from our perspective, that’s true. We always want to beat Forest.

But if we put our managerial hats on, it might look a bit different.

We play 8 games in total this month and this game is sandwiched between two tough games against potential promotion rivals.

Managing the squad and using all of the players at our disposal will be a consideration, surely?

Sorry guys, if we play Forest my priority is always to win .  Worked with and know to many for anything else .  Look at this bloke

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Sorry guys, if we play Forest my priority is always to win .  Worked with and know to many for anything else .  Look at this bloke

So for the sake of a win against Forest you would rather the manager puts a full 1st string Eleven out and risk dropping points in the league due to injuries etc. I would rather see the youngsters repay their trust in the manager by allowing them to push on,Beat them in the league and keep them below us is a lot more attractive

It would've been nice to be able to throw the youngsters into another game looking at our fixtures: Stoke, Bristol, West Brom, Forest, Brentford & Cardiff as our next six games. The kids could well have been the ideal solution for that cup game, but Forest is too much of a distraction.

It's a tough six games. 

1 minute ago, atherstoneram said:

So for the sake of a win against Forest you would rather the manager puts a full 1st string Eleven out and risk dropping points in the league due to injuries etc. I would rather see the youngsters repay their trust in the manager by allowing them to push on,Beat them in the league and keep them below us is a lot more attractive

But you could get injury in any game .  Bielik played tonight - was it worth risking him ?. We have no right back and we risked the only stand in we have tonight , If Lowe gets injured what then ? You lose players to injury every pre season- should we scrap them and have a kick about instead ?.  Is it worth playing a young player with his future here who has loads of potential ahead of Paterson who might be back at Bristol in a few months ? . 

You can really twist this argument any way.  First eleven please Phil .  

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It would've been nice to be able to throw the youngsters into another game looking at our fixtures: Stoke, Bristol, West Brom, Forest, Brentford & Cardiff as our next six games. The kids could well have been the ideal solution for that cup game, but Forest is too much of a distraction.

It's a tough six games. 

I want us to win this match as much as anyone else and certainly not being negative.But as you say "Forest is too much of a distraction" but that only applies to us as fans, It won't make any difference to Cocu whether it's Forest,Leeds or anyone else and certainly won;t get caught up in all the hype and allow himself to become distracted.He will approach this match the same as any other and name the team as he sees fit

4 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

I want us to win this match as much as anyone else and certainly not being negative.But as you say "Forest is too much of a distraction" but that only applies to us as fans, It won't make any difference to Cocu whether it's Forest,Leeds or anyone else and certainly won;t get caught up in all the hype and allow himself to become distracted.He will approach this match the same as any other and name the team as he sees fit

If we were playing a League 2 team, you could almost guarantee that we would rest players. I guess he still might for this, but he's going to be pressured to play a full strength team because it's Forest. I guess he could go with the U18/23s again with a couple of players looking for fitness similar to tonight, but I doubt there will be as many people calm about that selection. 

We have five league games against teams all with a good claim to be a promotion rival and a cup game against our local rival in the next 31 days. It's going to be a huge test for us as a team, especially if it turns out that Bogle isn't going to be available for any of the games. 

Just now, Ambitious said:

If we were playing a League 2 team, you could almost guarantee that we would rest players. I guess he still might for this, but he's going to be pressured to play a full strength team because it's Forest. I guess he could go with the U18/23s again with a couple of players looking for fitness similar to tonight, but I doubt there will be as many people calm about that selection. 

We have five league games against teams all with a good claim to be a promotion rival and a cup game against our local rival in the next 31 days. It's going to be a huge test for us as a team, especially if it turns out that Bogle isn't going to be available for any of the games. 

Who is he going to be pressurised by?certainly not Mel or any of his staff and he doesn't come across as a manager who gives into fan pressure,,he is the manager and has the final say. Do you really think he will put a team out just to appease the fans, whether people are calm or not about his team selection will be insignificant, He is our 1st foreign manager and it won't worry him (unlike some previous managers) about the intense rivalry that exists between the fans.He is paid to try and win every match, not just one match because of the rivalry,as i said he will pick the team he thinks may win whether that team contains youngsters or not. Not the team the fans want him to pick.

From Saturday, we’ll have five games in 14 days.

I am very much someone who believes that you always play your best eleven and put your best foot forward. I am not a fan of rotation and resting players. But Cocu is new in the job and probably hasn’t yet established his best eleven, so players are effectively still auditioning.

The more I look at the fixture list, the more it seems that rotation is unavoidable. There are just too many high stakes, high intensity games for us to play an unchanged eleven game after game. Our hands are tied, I think.

If not Forest away, it could be Bristol City at home or Brentford away where we see some changes.

The only players I could see playing every game are Keogh, Lawrence, Malone (and possibly Lowe due to the right back crisis).

Clarke and Evans/Davies can rotate.

Roos and Hamer can rotate.

Waghorn and Marriott can rotate

Jozefzoon and Bennett/Paterson can rotate.

Huddlestone, Dowell, Bielik, Evans, Knight, Shinnie and Holmes (when fit) are all competing for midfield places.

Surely the aim in Cocu’s mind will be for the team to function just as well whether it’s Huddlestone, Dowell and Waghorn or Bielik, Holmes and Marriott who start?

I must admit I swooned a bit when the draw came out. IMO it’s just what we don’t need / as any game against Red Dogs is in its own bubble - and is a majorly out of proportion distraction - to what has  been a great start to the season. 

I know it’s good for the fans - but Cocu will have to weigh up the local pride / against playing youth. Too much pressure and would have preferred to wait for our league meeting 

I must admit I would have preferred someone else / and concentrated on the league - and not have the distraction. 

Sorry - to be a killjoy!!

Nevertheless - there is a game to be won - be interesting to see our approach

I can see us winning  it - COYR

5 hours ago, Srg said:

It’s a fix. 

Like when Lampard had to face Mourinho and then Chelsea. 

Be interesting to see if we end up bumping into United or Everton when Rooney is here. Surely if we draw Chelsea then it's too obvious. 

I mean Salford v Leeds was quite a handy draw

Newcastle v Wednesday might be one in the pipeline.

Forest presumably will be under similar pressure - they too have a massive squad of players they can rotate in and out for this cup.

And you'd think there may be some hint of priority given by Mel to Phillip Cocu via his objectives.

£170m for reaching the EPL vs a Bright House voucher and couple of gallons of fizzy pop for winning the Caribou Cup?

Archived