The Matchday Announcer

ThePrisoner

4 hours ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

I'm not sure it being too loud is a major issue to a younger age group either.

The racket is so load that even with fingers in ears its painful. It is a health issue at these volumes. Maybe a deaf old guy is on the volume control.

As regards the youth of today liking it, none of them are in the ground till 5 minutes before kick-off so its irrelevant and we should be looking after their hearing for them.

The poem has had its day, let the teams run out to Steve Bloomer and stop playing it 12 minutes before 3:00.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, DazaDunn said:

Unpopular opinion... I absolutely love the Allez Allez Allez song. I would sit through a Villa game just to listen to it. I think it’s very powerful and everyone joins in. Sounded unreal at Wembley and would love a Derby version 

I was more or less next to them on half way and it was really powerful with the noise rolling around their end of the ground.

Very simple and brief and everyone joined in - if you have a large spread out crowd trying to sing a complex song at the same time the sound all gets muddled up (doppler effect?) a single word or two chant very much more effective.

10 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Well I like the poem.  I like it so much that I bought a copy of it and it hangs on my wall.  I like it because it reminds me every time I hear it of how special my home town is, how deep our history is, how special our football history is and I like it because no one else does it. It is, in footballing terms, unique, and even though I haven't lived in Derby for over 40 years now it reinforces in me the strong feelings I have for the club, the town and the county. It always moves me emotionally.

The typical PP audience ranges from 4 to 94. You're never going to satisfy that range of people.  I'd quite like the team to run out in unsponsored white jerseys, with the captain holding the match ball and none of the prematch fake handshaking nonsense. I'd like more music by the Beatles and Beach Boys and stuff that I've actually heard of and listen and sing along to, but it ain't going to happen. The prematch build up is here to stay and for what it's worth I think our guy doesn't do a bad job. He probably doesn't get to organise the whole thing anyway.

They could quieten it down a bit, they could find better ways of building the atmosphere to more of a crescendo instead of building it and then letting it go flat again, but they appear to be taking the line that familiarity is all and therefore we have to have the same things in the same order each and every match.  Perhaps they should try some different things (or not doing things) and see if anything catches on.

This last bit is spot on. I also like the poem but maybe have it on some matches not all. I would just like to see more variety.

@DontTrustTheDevilInside, you say you prefer a newer song as an anthem but that means a large part of crowd won't have heard of it. Scunthorpe played a song from the 60's pre-match and we were really belting it out last night from kids to grandparents. And you like the Winnall chant - that's based on a song from the 1960s too! 

I  think the players chose some of the pre-match music and I hope it inspires them because it isn't anything you can sing along to, even if it is modern. When we started playing that remix of Mr Brightside I took the trouble to look it up and tried to sing along to it but it's not exactly catchy, is it? Popular songs are popular for a reason and that's why they are repeated at many clubs. 

As @ilkleyram says, you're never going to please us all whatever you do - I  used to like the fireworks but I think that I was in a minority of one! ?

The poem every game is tedious and boring.

The music is ridiculously loud.

The crass comments such as in your DNA youth.

The pathetic Rooney chant.

The inability to even have a conversation with the person next to you.

The fact everything is sponsored (But get the need to maximise commercial opps)

I dont mind music, I dont mind the Bloomer song even, but turn it down. Announce the teams once at half past two, then keep your mouth shut until 2.55pm.

The poem is brilliant but probably not required every match.

The loud music and announcer stuff is a killer. Every time I venture to my standing position in the South Stand before 2.55 I remember why its best not to.

The announcer always shrieks at a 1,000 decibels to "come on you rams......" immediately followed by a completely different song from the lads up in D block.

Memo to the announcer, Just. Stop, Doing. It.

The South Stand will start singing organically from 2.45 ish if left alone without hysterical prompting. That will attract others down in the concourse to consume their £4.50 pints of carling quicker to join in and take their seats a few minutes early.

Niche comment, this, but always been a massive fan of the miserable announcer at Anfield. Sounds like an Everton fan who’s been forced to do it for 3 decades because he lost a bet. It’s brilliant. The club trusts the fans to make a good atmosphere without patronising them.

2 hours ago, Duracell said:

Niche comment, this, but always been a massive fan of the miserable announcer at Anfield. Sounds like an Everton fan who’s been forced to do it for 3 decades because he lost a bet. It’s brilliant. The club trusts the fans to make a good atmosphere without patronising them.

Agreed. Often, understated is best...

I dont think the announcer needs to do anything other than welcoming the teams onto the pitch

Then, shortly before kick off perhaps an introduction to the main event, Derby County v <insert name> with a bit of  boxing-style razzmatazz, then leave the crowd to it. 

If the club wants to warm up the fans then play songs you can sing along to (Hey Jude, Sweet Caroline etc) 

9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think we can all agree that the absolute worst thing about Derby County in recent years is that awful Sweet Child of Mine mash up version or whatever it was being played before matches at Pride Park. It made me want to rip my ears off and throw them in to the away end.

Maybe Vincent Van Gogh heard it*

*One for the culture vultures amongst us. 

On 12/08/2019 at 11:45, ThePrisoner said:

Anybody else find it cringier than usual towards the end of last season? It seems to have continued into this one! 

I appreciate he's trying to drum up excitement and atmosphere within the ground but can it not be done in a more straightforward manner? Half the attempts result in mild embarrassment for me and those around!

He's like a hype man at a wrestling match - There you probably need it cos everyone knows it's fixed and what you're seeing is a performance like you would at the theater - But at football I'm already tense and worked up enough as it is, don't need someone else doing it too

I find the most cringey bit "It's in your DNA youf" - I don't think that guys ever uses the word 'youf' ever in his real life and it sounds so forced

What was wrong with where they announced the team in a professional manner leaving pauses for cheers and then just cracking on with the game and the yelling?

41 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

He's like a hype man at a wrestling match - There you probably need it cos everyone knows it's fixed and what you're seeing is a performance like you would at the theater - But at football I'm already tense and worked up enough as it is, don't need someone else doing it too

I find the most cringey bit "It's in your DNA youf" - I don't think that guys ever uses the word 'youf' ever in his real life and it sounds so forced

What was wrong with where they announced the team in a professional manner leaving pauses for cheers and then just cracking on with the game and the yelling?

"He's yourrrrrrrrrrr Captain, Richard Keeeeeeeeeeeeeogh!".

Awful.

On 12/08/2019 at 18:01, NewquayRam said:

I'm glad somebody mentioned the pre match at Wembley. Both clubs had their alloted time and I feel Derby got ours all wrong.

Villa started by getting their fans singing the allez song which had become their song of the season. We had Since I was young... Which was our song of the season with Mac 1. This time Lampard at the wheel had been the song of the moment.

Villa's video package had 'Hi Ho Silver Lining' playing over it so they all sing along, our video package of the goals was nice but it had 'When 2 tribes go to war' playing.. So.. Silence from Derby fans. Pretty sure they had Sweet Caroline... Everybody singing, we have the Derby poem pretty much silence from Derby fans. During the poem you could hear the Villa fans singing away over it. 

I know everybody is different and wants different match day experience but it's Wembley, a massive match. Get the fans singing together. For me he should've started the bounce, the video package should've had Steve Bloomer over it or ideally something better, anything that the fans will sing too, Seven nation army, Chelsea dagger anything, but not Frankie goes to Hollywood.

I hadnt realised how much I needed to get that off my chest. 

Well said to all of it. The morning in London and en route to Wembley it was all Derby but we contrived to kill the atmosphere and lose the momentum. Of course the selection didn't help...

Meanwhile, I can't take my old man to matches anymore because of the loud PA. He has a neurological issue that he can't cope with loud electronic noise. I'd have thought it would be the same for a lot of people. Real shame.

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think we can all agree that the absolute worst thing about Derby County in recent years is that awful Sweet Child of Mine mash up version or whatever it was being played before matches at Pride Park. It made me want to rip my ears off and throw them in to the away end.

I thought it was brilliant

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Derby is a family club, just looking around at wembley it was obvious.  Little kids who had no idea what was going and older folk moaning about people standing up.  There were whole families out for a fun day and quite different to what happens for a normal away game.  Getting anything like a singing section was impossible.  Even in the great days it took special moments to get the whole ground rocking but when it did boy was it incredible.  Every single supporter singing when the rams go marching in, the memory still gives me shivers.

So it's a fact that we aren't loud and are never going to be.  As someone previously said we need a simple song that everybody knows how to join in with, a tune with few if any words.  Trouble is finding something appropriate is like the Holy Grail.  

On 14/08/2019 at 11:05, DazaDunn said:

Unpopular opinion... I absolutely love the Allez Allez Allez song. I would sit through a Villa game just to listen to it. I think it’s very powerful and everyone joins in. Sounded unreal at Wembley and would love a Derby version 

It’s great, agreed. Napoli were one of the first clubs to popularise the chant many years ago.

When it is sung post match at the San Paolo, it unites everyone. Fans, players, everyone.

But we should stay away from it. Villa, Spurs, Sheffield Utd, and Liverpool were years late to the party already.

It is much better to adopt something more original.

On 12/08/2019 at 12:28, Coconut said:

Barely even notice him tbh, I'm good at blanking out things I don't want to hear. Also helps that I'm not in the stadium until 3 minutes before kick off so don't hear any of his rubbish when the stadium is quiet.

While we're on about people who could/should be sacked...

Whoever it was that decided the South Stand scoreboard clock should change from counting down to counting up! It wouldn't be quite so daft if it counted the full 90, but no, at half time it resets to zero.

Who needs to know that we're 27 minutes into the second half rather than 75 minutes into the match!?

It just passes by me unless the music is too raucous, then I either wince or put my fingers in my ears depending on the level.

I don’t need geeing up by anything else much, other than what’s on the pitch. Just need ..

Knowing the players are in the tunnel, and notice for when they are coming out so we can give the lads a shout, clap cheers.  

Then  the team line ups and a chance to a clap/cheer for each player. 

Maybe if it’s someones debut or an appearance land mark .. yep good to know 

oh I know let’s have a pirate ship in one corner and fire cannons when we score .. yawn yawn perleaseee. This is football, it is a serious business, not an entertainment “franchise”  ?

Yous sincerely

A. Grump Moan esq

Archived