Cup Runs

Bubbles

I think it would be interesting over the next 3 years to only play u23 teams (essentially the u18 national champs squad) for the first round

Be interesting to use it as a judge for the master plan and to judge just how far off championship standard they are. Would be a good reality check to Mel, coaching staff and fans or a point of huge excitement if they are as a team already above League 2 (bottom end) standard.

Would probably make them more appealing for loans also if they have won competitive games against a full men's side without there being any chance for an argument that the senior pros 'carried them'

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Can blame Steve Cherry for that 

You can’t really because if it wasn’t for Steve Cherry there wouldn’t have been a replay - he was magnificent at Home Park and was pretty much the only one who turned up. Although I seem to recall John Barton had a half decent game, which is strange in itself! 

Perhaps blame Peter Taylor for taking Bobby off when we needed an equaliser. To this day the most baffling substitution I have ever witnessed. 

On 13/08/2019 at 12:12, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

I think it would be interesting over the next 3 years to only play u23 teams (essentially the u18 national champs squad) for the first round

Be interesting to use it as a judge for the master plan and to judge just how far off championship standard they are. Would be a good reality check to Mel, coaching staff and fans or a point of huge excitement if they are as a team already above League 2 (bottom end) standard.

Would probably make them more appealing for loans also if they have won competitive games against a full men's side without there being any chance for an argument that the senior pros 'carried them'

Well said, Philip. Good to have the new manager on the forum. And didn't the youth team do well? 

On 13/08/2019 at 12:12, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

I think it would be interesting over the next 3 years to only play u23 teams (essentially the u18 national champs squad) for the first round...

Not for me. It's a Cup there to be won. There's already a competition to test U23s against League players - we should try qualifying for that first!

In as far as possible let Knight play every Cup game. 45 mins for Buchanan, Sibley and co. We have to rust dropping points in some games to give young guns their chance or they will never make it. Cocu is proven in bringing young players through. If Bielik cost up to ten mill then we have some potentially very valuable players on our hands. If first teamers are out of form then drop them. If Lawrence plays brilliantly one game in four then drop him. If Malone cannot consistently put in a viable cross then drop him. Etc. Everyone needs to up their game to stay in the team and get us promotion. Cocu knows exactly what he is aiming for and how to get there. A bit of cash investment when Rooney arrives is surely more.likely than not with Rooney potentially being here for two and a half years.

Can I remind people who accuse us of having a poor history in the cups that we got to the final of the Anglo Italian Cup, plus we have won the Watney Cup and Texaco Cup in the last fifty years. Also, we have a fair few victories in the Bass Charity Vase and the Derbyshire Centenary Cup.

It's not just 1946....

24 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Can I remind people who accuse us of having a poor history in the cups that we got to the final of the Anglo Italian Cup, plus we have won the Watney Cup and Texaco Cup in the last fifty years. Also, we have a fair few victories in the Bass Charity Vase and the Derbyshire Centenary Cup.

It's not just 1946....

And the Brian Clough Trophy practically lives at Pride Park!

Archived