Cup Runs

Bubbles

Do any of you folk reckon we'll be aiming for good cup runs this season like we did the last one?

With Frank he always seemed to field a relatively strong squad even against weaker opposition (See Oldham Athletic (A)), however I'm sure in seasons prior to that the previous gaffers didn't really seem bothered about a cup run and we usually went out in the early stages.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Squid said:

Do any of you folk reckon we'll be aiming for good cup runs this season like we did the last one?

With Frank he always seemed to field a relatively strong squad even against weaker opposition (See Oldham Athletic (A)), however I'm sure in seasons prior to that the previous gaffers didn't really seem bothered about a cup run and we usually went out in the early stages.

i think clement gave it a go against Portsmouth a couple of seasons back but still came unstuck 2-1. 

Didn't know it at the time but that was a bit of a portent...…."we need to do much better...…"

Don't bother entering if you aren't going to try and win.

Both cup competitions provide very little in the way of prize in the early rounds, (or in the later rounds really). There is no reason to take part at all if you just play the weakest possible side in hopes of an early exit.

Fielding your strongest teams gets you results and nights like Man Utd and Southampton away, regardless of competition both nights were brilliant.

They can lead you to Chelsea away and Brighton away, the latter a bit of a whimper but last seasons cup games were exciting and fun because other than Altrincham away, we had very little expectation pressure.

Get a result at Scunny, tomorrow’s potential banana skin is out the way and the fun might start again.

11 hours ago, Squid said:

I'd hope so. Its always a curious anomaly with Derby that our historical achievements (bar 1946) have largely been in the league. For a club with our history to have never got to a League Cup Final & only made one FA Cup Semi Final in 70 odd years is pretty poor. We've made the same number of European Cup semi finals in that time ?

Obviously Cocu will only be focused on the here & now but I would imagine he'd see the benefit of a consistent winning culture within the club & with the size of squad we still have (including talented youth players), there's no reason why we shouldn't take it seriously. Plus big games, TV coverage & increased exposure surely means greater revenue & therefore greater FFP headroom.

7 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Fielding your strongest teams gets you results and night like Man Utd and Southampton away, regardless of competition both nights were brilliant.

They can lead you to Chelsea away and Brighton away, the latter a bit of a whimper but last seasons cup games were exciting and fun because other than Altrincham away, we had very little expectation pressure.

Get a result at Scunny and tomorrow’s potential banana skin is out the way and the fun might start again.

Stanley will be livid you've forgotten his name already!  :-) 

40 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Don't bother entering if you aren't going to try and win.

Both cup competitions provide very little in the way of prize in the early rounds, (or in the later rounds really). There is no reason to take part at all if you just play the weakest possible side in hopes of an early exit.

Unfortunately, the League cup never makes big money for the top 2 divisions until the quarter-finals and beyond. Thats why, in the last 15yrs or so even the championship sides put out weaker teams in the early stages. One other reason being, it gives chance for the manager/coach to look at fringe/U23s players in games that don't disrupt the league form.

46 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I'd hope so. Its always a curious anomaly with Derby that our historical achievements (bar 1946) have largely been in the league. For a club with our history to have never got to a League Cup Final & only made one FA Cup Semi Final in 70 odd years is pretty poor. ?

Can blame Steve Cherry for that 

To be honest the cup runs are more for the fans than finances.

Strangely when we field a completely different team I always wonder if it actually tells us anything. It’s always hard for players to come in and make an impact in a team that isn’t regular I always think just stick with the strongest team rotating a couple maybe. When teams rest players it never seems to give them a massive edge the next game on the back of it. I also think if you Waghorn right now then playing a lesser team on paper and grabbing a couple could give you the lift you need.

10 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Unfortunately, the League cup never makes big money for the top 2 divisions until the quarter-finals and beyond. Thats why, in the last 15yrs or so even the championship sides put out weaker teams in the early stages. One other reason being, it gives chance for the manager/coach to look at fringe/U23s players in games that don't disrupt the league form.

The prize for the league cup may as well be nothing. Last year there was zero prize money until the semis. Do you know how much the winner (Man City) got for winning it - £100, 000 - and no i didnt miss any zeroes off that. The only way you make any money is if you get one of the big teams that you can split gate revenues with. Even the FA Cup you have to win a semi final before you get over £1 mill prize money.

The manager had pre season, the youth matches and all his training games to look at his squad. Playing teams from the lower leagues is going to tell them f all about his players. For me it should be the strongest team whenever possible. We never change the entire team for the cup and frankly imo it is disruptive to keep some and change others - trying to get them to work with new players rather than keeping consistency.

12 hours ago, Squid said:

I would be happier with promotion which is long overdue. No chance of us actually winning either of the cups in all honesty. 

24 minutes ago, GenBr said:

The prize for the league cup may as well be nothing. Last year there was zero prize money until the semis. Do you know how much the winner (Man City) got for winning it - £100, 000 - and no i didnt miss any zeroes off that. The only way you make any money is if you get one of the big teams that you can split gate revenues with. Even the FA Cup you have to win a semi final before you get over £1 mill prize money.

The manager had pre season, the youth matches and all his training games to look at his squad. Playing teams from the lower leagues is going to tell them f all about his players. For me it should be the strongest team whenever possible. We never change the entire team for the cup and frankly imo it is disruptive to keep some and change others - trying to get them to work with new players rather than keeping consistency.

I was not making a statement about prize money in cup games. I was only generalising on teams making money on quarterfinals onwards through gate reciepts/TV monies and thats why the majority of championship/premiership teams will field weaker teams in earlier rounds. It makes sense to give 1st team players a rest, try out tactics/formations/fringe players/youngsters in these games. I will be gobsmacked if Cocu plays a team against Scunthorpe which does'nt have players from U23s and players who have not featured in the last 2 games.

12 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

I was not making a statement about prize money in cup games. I was only generalising on teams making money on quarterfinals onwards through gate reciepts/TV monies and thats why the majority of championship/premiership teams will field weaker teams in earlier rounds. It makes sense to give 1st team players a rest, try out tactics/formations/fringe players/youngsters in these games. I will be gobsmacked if Cocu plays a team against Scunthorpe which does'nt have players from U23s and players who have not featured in the last 2 games.

First team players do not need a rest especially at this stage of the season. Its only my opinion, but if he wants to try new tactics or players do it in training. We should be trying to get the first team to gel together, improve fitness and perfect Cocus tactics as soon as possible - not butchering the team and changing it completely everytime we have a cup game.

37 minutes ago, europia said:

I would be happier with promotion which is long overdue. No chance of us actually winning either of the cups in all honesty. 

At the time the dinosaurs arose, all of the Earth’s continents were connected together in one land mass, now known as Pangaea, and surrounded by one enormous ocean. Pangaea began to break apart into separate continents during the Early Jurassic Period (around 200 million years ago), and dinosaurs would have seen great changes in the world in which they lived over the course of their existence. Dinosaurs mysteriously disappeared at the end of the Cretaceous Period, around 65 million years ago.

this was also the year Derby got relegated from the premier league , they have never been back, although this is an improvement on Leeds and Forest who last played top flight prior to the big bang .

Archived