Radio Draby post match

DCFC Ram

Having biased commentary is preferable to national radio or TV where often there's a narrative theyre trying to push. 

Craig isn't clueless and amongst his passionate rambling he'll sometimes bring something out insightful. 

It's generally fine. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also had it on in the car on the way home. Absolute drivel from Dawes and Ramage, they were extremely negative about a good performance and showed a clear lack of footballing nous when attempting to analyse. It was just a really strange take on the game. I can't say i listen to it after every game but i do so semi-regularly, and yesterday was the first time i'd thought this badly of it. 

I generally listen to find out the other championship scores and find out which subs are coming on 

but it is fair to say the commentary is more negative than positive and it’s usually a laugh with some of the comments especially when I have seen the reality for myself in the flesh 

8 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

I also had it on in the car on the way home. Absolute drivel from Dawes and Ramage, they were extremely negative about a good performance and showed a clear lack of footballing nous when attempting to analyse. It was just a really strange take on the game. I can't say i listen to it after every game but i do so semi-regularly, and yesterday was the first time i'd thought this badly of it. 

Got to agree with this completely.  There were positives signs in the patterns of play and genuine glimpses that once the team has bedded down we could be in for an exciting season.  Yes we weren't clinical enough but we still managed 17 attempts on goal yet lines I heard trotted out were 'difficult watch'; 'we've gone backwards'; 'we were off the pace'; 'we were light weight' amongst others.

I would expect that the BBC provides a degree of impartiality, context and insight.  It's my opinion that yesterday they failed to do so.

FWIW, I think Chris Coles is settling in to his role quite well now. I’ve blown a little hot and cold with him at times but thought since Cocu has come in he’s done some good interviews and research to get a different slant on the appointment. I think Ed Dawes and Craig Ramage as a combination is the main problem, been said over and over that Ramage will change his opinion a lot but I do think he can offer a good insight when prompted. The issue is that I don’t think Dawes is overly willing to prompt him unless it suits his opinion. Dawes to me is a typical ‘black and white’ (excuse the pun) football fan, if you’re winning it’s great and if you’re not it’s rubbish with no context inbetween. That’s fine as a football fan, I’d say that’s the vast majority of opinions you can hear on public transport going away from home games, but if you’re an important part of a three man team who needs to help fill an hour of radio it’s not a great listen. 

3 hours ago, GlastoEls said:

I don’t think Cocu even heard the call to wave.  He was talking to the 4th official when they were calling for it. 

I think wave is a Flemish term for golf, so Phillip Phillip give us a wave could mean he is waiting at the pitch and putt at Markeaton right now.

1 hour ago, alexxxxx said:

Having biased commentary is preferable to national radio or TV where often there's a narrative theyre trying to push. 

Craig isn't clueless and amongst his passionate rambling he'll sometimes bring something out insightful. 

It's generally fine. 

Agree. He normally becomes a bit puerile when Dawes is making pathetic laddish comments and involves Ramage.

Dawes is an appalling waste of space. Coles is good.

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

I've watched many full 90's back with their commentary on in the past and their version of events is totally off

They always lean on the side of negative. For example Derby could have 5 attacking moves that break down on the edge of the box. Swansea could have 1 counter attack that breaks down on the edge of the box. 

It would be summarised by saying Derby's passing has been really poor today and they just don't look like scoring. Derby were lucky there because if that final pass had been better then Swansea would be in. It was too easy for Swansea to get through the midfield. 

That there is how they summarise everything. Countless times I have watched the game and heard their live commentary. 

Countless times I've been getting in the car to hear stuff like "Derby didn't look like scoring" and I'm shouting "But Bennett missed a sitter, Keogh had a header cleared off the line, Lawrence drew 2 good saves. Derby definitely looked capable of scoring!" then I turn the clowns off. 

Always lean on the side of negative. Dawes moans like a drunken teenage gobshite about referees and linesman. 

I don't expect them to just dig out positives when there aren't many. But they dig out negatives where they aren't many. Parasites. 

Whether Ramage played or not is irrelevant. Marc Edworthy and The Rams TV guys played and they largely say the opposite to Ramage so they can't both be offering a real insight to the game. If playing had offered him such a great tactical mind then he wouldn't be commentating on Radio Derby. Have you heard some of the nonsense that comes out of Andy Townsend? He was miles better than Ramage

No wonder the station has people ringing up upset because Cocu didn't wave at them. That's the sort of drama queen garbage they love. 

No wonder Mel prefers Talksport. 

They really pander to the football fan who thinks to show passion and fire is to be outraged by something all the time. Saying stuff like "not fit to wear the shirt" and "Showed no passion today. They didn't want it enough"

I just wish they actually commentated rather than ‘comment’. I know they are a local radio but they should be more like five live or talkSPORT commentary. Describe the pass to us, don’t tell us how rubbish you think it was. Their negativity fuels the Twitter moaners, especially for away games. 

It's harsh but true IMO but yesterday's post match from Ramage reminded me that he has 3 main flaws:

1) Words of more than one syllable;

2) Words that he uses without knowing what they mean;

3) Making worthwhile comments after watching a Derby County game.

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Agree. He normally becomes a bit puerile when Dawes is making pathetic laddish comments and involves Ramage.

Dawes is an appalling waste of space. Coles is good.

Always think they're better - especially Ed - when not going too far down the 'laddish' route. 

11 hours ago, Alpha said:

I've watched many full 90's back with their commentary on in the past and their version of events is totally off

They always lean on the side of negative. For example Derby could have 5 attacking moves that break down on the edge of the box. Swansea could have 1 counter attack that breaks down on the edge of the box. 

It would be summarised by saying Derby's passing has been really poor today and they just don't look like scoring. Derby were lucky there because if that final pass had been better then Swansea would be in. It was too easy for Swansea to get through the midfield. 

That there is how they summarise everything. Countless times I have watched the game and heard their live commentary. 

Countless times I've been getting in the car to hear stuff like "Derby didn't look like scoring" and I'm shouting "But Bennett missed a sitter, Keogh had a header cleared off the line, Lawrence drew 2 good saves. Derby definitely looked capable of scoring!" then I turn the clowns off. 

Always lean on the side of negative. Dawes moans like a drunken teenage gobshite about referees and linesman. 

I don't expect them to just dig out positives when there aren't many. But they dig out negatives where they aren't many. Parasites. 

Whether Ramage played or not is irrelevant. Marc Edworthy and The Rams TV guys played and they largely say the opposite to Ramage so they can't both be offering a real insight to the game. If playing had offered him such a great tactical mind then he wouldn't be commentating on Radio Derby. Have you heard some of the nonsense that comes out of Andy Townsend? He was miles better than Ramage

No wonder the station has people ringing up upset because Cocu didn't wave at them. That's the sort of drama queen garbage they love. 

No wonder Mel prefers Talksport. 

They really pander to the football fan who thinks to show passion and fire is to be outraged by something all the time. Saying stuff like "not fit to wear the shirt" and "Showed no passion today. They didn't want it enough"

Absolutely spot on ?

They really need to be selective of the questions and comments they read out. One text read out talked about Shinnie playing. They shouldn't even be giving that comment any airtime, simply embarrassing. 

The only thing I'd say is that other local radio stations are just as bad.

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, rammieib said:

They really need to be selective of the questions and comments they read out. One text read out talked about Shinnie playing. They shouldn't even be giving that comment any airtime, simply embarrassing. 

The only thing I'd say is that other local radio stations are just as bad.

I heard that and was thinking am i cracking up or what.

14 hours ago, DCFC Ram said:

It's harsh but true IMO but yesterday's post match from Ramage reminded me that he has 3 main flaws:

1) Words of more than one syllable;

2) Words that he uses without knowing what they mean;

3) Making worthwhile comments after watching a Derby County game.

Sick of hearing Ramage drone on about how things were different 'in his day'. Has no relevance to today's game. He is a relic. Really infuriates me when I am travelling back home. The so-called fans who text or phone in usually seem to be negative. There must be others that are more positive out there. There is no balance and they should have a clean sweep and get rid of the commentary and 'pundit' team. 

Garbage, the lot of them.

Rant over!

I’m an excile - so usually listen to RD on RamsPlayer. Have to say I like Ramage and Ed. They do have a tendency to “ham it up” a bit, but can be quite funny.

Listening on Saturday - thought they were quite fair - “second game in, not firing on all cylinders yet - 4 points and unbeaten”.

Not that negative really?

Ed Dawes tweeted yesterday that he misses Johnny Russell (after seeing the "Here's Johnny" goal celebration video from Sporting KC); but I seem to recall Johnny being a regular target of Dawes' absurdly negative rhetoric.

He'd throw out "not good enough", directed at JR, at least twice a game. Although he says it about 10 times a game in total.

1 minute ago, Igorwasking said:

I’m an excile - so usually listen to RD on RamsPlayer. Have to say I like Ramage and Ed. They do ha e a tendency to “ham it up” a bit, but can be quite funny.

Listening on Saturday - thought they were quite fair - “second game in, not firing on all cylinders yet - 4 points and unbeaten”.

Not that negative really?

His post game thoughts, and out of game statements are usually fairly reasonable.

I just find that his in-game commentary makes us sound at least 20% worse than we actually are - which makes games seem ducking dire if we're not playing well. I didn't notice until I was watching games at the same time as listening.

50 minutes ago, Mazzaram said:

... The so-called fans who text or phone in usually seem to be negative. There must be others that are more positive out there. There is no balance and they should have a clean sweep and get rid of the commentary and 'pundit' team. ...

Rant over!

Lol. This is of course the point, fans tend to text/post/phone more when things are going wrong. When we win and play well I bet the phones/forums are only peopled by the real 'extremes'! ? ?

Archived